Posts: 37 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norway
My n900 will only charge when I plug it into a computer.
I have lost my original nokia charger, but I have tried multiple other brands including samsung, apple and some no name things I have lying around.
Is there something special about nokia usb chargers?

I have the same problem.

I figure that the Micro USB port of my N900 is now loose.

When I wiggle around the charger it eventually catches on and charges. But it charges instantly when I plug it into my Computer's USB port.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Mine stopped working with the USB cable that worked before. Out of three cables, one wall charger and two car chargers, only one USB cable just about works now. Time to open it and solder the connector, I guess.

Might not be the USB port that's loose, could just be getting worn out.
Not sure why but sometimes I get the problem where wiggleing the connector will make the phone go in and out of charge mode, but not often. After a quick blast of compressed air it's fine for weeks afterwards.
I'm using a Lumia charger and USB cable for mine, which fares better than the old original N900 cable.

But surely it charges through the same pins. the difference is the data connection. Maybe the software is confused and won't charge unless it senses a data connection.

Sure it charges through the same pins. The trouble is not getting a good contact through the pins. The one connector that works in mine has a tiny fraction of a millimetre bigger springs.

That doesn't explain why it charges perfectly from the computer using the same cable as my apple usb charger.

You are right, it doesn't. Maybe it doesn't work for a different reason?

FWIW, mine stared working again. I do not remember doing anything unusual when it stopped working with 3 out of my 4 cables, it just worked in the morning and did not a few hours later. And I know for sure I did not do anything to try to fix it, it just suddenly started working again. Perhaps stickymick was right: a piece of dirt in the connector or some such.

Hello! I can not access internal memory USB port. Computer - N900 not kumminikal What's wrong?