Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
c'mon all Symbian fanatics.
Symbian is ok for a phone but even on my E51 I get frustrated with it's connectivity abilities. All applications asking for selecting way to connect even if there is connection alive.
S60 was ok on my n3650 and it filled it's capabilities but with more advanced device - equipped in many connectivity interfaces it FAILS imho.
I don't like it's way of setting up connections and all other stuff.
Maemo - once you know how it's done on PC - you know what you should do. On symbian it's the different story.
I'm impressed why nokia pushes this OS for new phones. They should forget it and modify their Maemo a bit - it would be much better.
Make it look like an s60 at it will easily replace.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Italy
Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
Here we have a next PhoneOS for netbook manufacturers..

(really, android for netbooks.. how about symbian? please, it's not april 1st anymore..)
lol, could care less about manufacters and sure I m not thinking about functionality... probably is something more about a technological version of 'alpha male wannabe' need, proof of concept, unexplorated fields of possibilities.
When I have a completely different opinion about something it usually mean there is at least 1 completely different point of view I can't see

@XTC
c'mon all Symbian fanatics.
well, I don't even own a Nokia cellphone and I know nearly nothing about symbian. I just barely touched it when I had to configure and install a Kurzweil's text-to-speech synthesis for a blind friend and I loved the idea to have a 'device' (family/philosophy/os) so 'open' and flexible to be able to be adapted for such a peculiar and particular niche (and this was some years ago).
By my side is just all about knowdledge and having the opportunities to touch by hand, developing, hack another toy (and reading around how much Nokia payed for symbian, an expansive toy ) just fit my needs.
I guess is the same for Android, watching how a company like Google build from scratch and entire os and understand better why some choices and why not other have, I repeat to me, great appeal.
My initial tought was that porting symbian on the tablets would be pretty easy and cheap for Nokia and seemd fit with the edgy personality of the series.
I think the sentence:
The fancies of the wildest and most pragmatic imaginations are most likely to be limited not by technical limitations, but by business realities.
from the that same Symbian explain a bit more my point of view.

Peace and love, peace and love

Flip Alarm Clock - 3DMania Theme - Synesthesia - Deluxepain
http://ciroip.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/ciroippolito

The Symbian OS is going open source under EPL with the first full open release in mid-2010, and the first community-supervised (i.e. maemo-esque) open source release by the end of 2010, with all versions after that being overseen entirely by the Symbian Foundation.

(Click here for more details on the upcoming new releases from the Symbian Foundation.)

As it's going to be freely available, does anyone have any idea if this upcoming versions of Symbian could be installed to run on Maemo devices? Obviously we will probably have brand new hardware by then, but we already know a bit about it so perhaps some intelligent guesswork can be made?

There's no requirement for it to be a phone-only OS, the foundation is actively reaching out to non-phone devices too and have demonstrated Symbian running on an Intel Atom setup to prove the point.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
...does anyone have any idea if this upcoming versions of Symbian could be installed to run on Maemo devices?
There's been discussion on this topic previously, the "Symbiam S60" thread being one example. In another thread, igor suggested the possibility is not far fetched, though I've been scolded previously for bringing that post up, as it was in a Windows Mobile thread.

EDIT: "Symbian and N-Gage on Tablets" is another previous thread.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2009-05-01 at 16:01.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
There's been discussion on this topic previously, the "Symbiam S60" thread being one example. In another thread, igor suggested the possibility is not far fetched, though I've been scolded previously for bringing that post up, as it was in a Windows Mobile thread.
It WAS far fetched, but the recent changes to Symbian's structure (i.e. closed source to open source, commercial company to foundation) could make it a lot easier to install on unusual hardware.

The Following User Says Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
It could be used, but like S60v5, there would need to be considerable work done with the UI and many applications in order to maintain compatibility.

S60v5 would be the best canidate for MID-like use, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was already done internally by Nokia.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Symbian if its open sourced in a timely manner, will probably be the most advanced open OS for mobile devices available. It has developer documentation and support as well as a framework for EVERYTHING, voip, calendar, multitasking, gps, HD video, most forms of cellular data, advanced gaming, WM Playsforsure (I dunno if that will be included in the spec due to licensing etc) and most importantly a strong regular phone and dialling component.

It will be mighty tempting for manufacturers who want to put out a do everything multimedia device who right now only really have the Android OS available.
See Sony Idou

As far as a port to the tablet hardware I highly doubt Nokia is going to do that for many different business decisions.

We should probably be careful not to confuse Symbian with S60.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The following threads have been merged to form this thread:
  • "Symbian and N-Gage on Tablets" with twenty-four posts
  • "Could Symbian be used on Maemo hardware, and vice versa?" with four posts

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:

Tags
ngage, nokia, s60, symbian