Notices

I would really like to ask some kind soul to port Hedgewars to Maemo (N900). Considering, that is the absolute pinnacle of worms clones -in fact, Hedgwars are better than even the most glorious worms releases like Worms Armageddon or Worms World Party - and that it works using QT4, I'm really surprised, that we don't have working port, for all those years.

If someone doesn't know - Hedgewars is much more than worms clone. It's the one and only continuously maintained FOSS game of this spirit which is very active in multiplayer, got many interesting and fresh game play modes (almost to the point of becoming platform for creating other games - including things like racing [!], galaga-like [!!!], and many others), and works on other portable devices (Androids, iPods, you name it) for ages.

Sure, we have Wormux (working without any FPS problems), but it's unmaintained, unfinished, bugged and development ceased completely (including that it's home page doesn't exist anymore). Hedgewars, OTOH, have very active community of players, developers, and supporters:
http://www.hedgewars.org

Now, there was some very early attempt at porting:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=962940&postcount=4

...but it hit performance problems. Hoever, it seems that compilation options might have been totally unoptimized, not to mention that it was eons ago, using much older version.

Any skilled (in compiling) gamer up to the task? I would look at Aapo Rantalainen, but he is quite busy, lately, and anyway, he ported so many things, that I don't have guts to ask him for another one...

Cheers,
/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Hedgewars can be installed under Debian (shameless plug ). I've not tried it but it's likely to have the same performance issues.

I would assume the performance problems are due to lack of hardware acceleration rather than compilation options. It probably needs to be ported to GLES, or if it's using OpenGL 1.x you could try running it under glshim instead of porting it.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following User Says Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Hedgewars is pushing a GMA 950 (with an N270@1024x600 or a T5600@1280x800) to its limits. Not sure how the N900's PowerVR compares to that, especially since it's also OpenGL vs GLES, but I can hardly imagine it to be much faster.

That being said, iirc the last attempt of porting Hedgewars to the N900 was before there were serious attempts on getting hardfp support in Fremantle. So a hardfp port should increase performance significantly (still not sure if it would be enough).

btw:
I don't understand why Hedgewars relies on GPU acceleration at all. It doesn't look like it needs to.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I actually looked at hedgewars source, just to see how easily it would port (to SFOS actually, but no matter...)

The darn thing is just crazy, parts of it are written in c, other parts in pascal and some bits in lua!
I do not understand how it hangs together

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Pascal!? Somebody actually uses that?

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Pascal!? Somebody actually uses that?
Use the Force, check the Source, Luke!

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
The darn thing is just crazy, parts of it are written in c, other parts in pascal and some bits in lua!
I think you missed the Haskell stuff.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Well it did come to my mind that the whole shebang has been written as an excercise in how to interface modules using different programming languages/techniques/paradigms.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Use the Force, check the Source, Luke!
It was an expression of bewilderment, not a real question. As in, on seeing someone wearing a coat in a 30°C heat, "what, you are wearing a coat"?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
I do never play games on my N900 but that game got deleted on wikipedia

Tags
hedgewars, maemo, porting