Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I am having the weirdest problems with the virtual keyboards when using them with window managers running on display 1 (using Xephyr). In this case, I'm using LXDE, but IceWM wasn't much better.

I use matchbox-keyboard in hildon (display 0) all the time without issue.

However, in LXDE, the matchbox-keyboard types fine until I hit a modifier key, and then the first key after that makes the keyboard just disappear. The xvkbd is even flakier.

It gets weirder, however. When I run matchbox-keyboard from a terminal, to see what errors I get, the keyboard doesn't crash; now I can't get capital letters anymore. When I run xvkbd from a terminal, I get this error:

Code:
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  132 (XTEST)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  2 (X_XTestFakeInput)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  2603
  Current serial number in output stream:  2605
The problems are much worse in new Debian installs; once Gnome is installed, the keyboards are much less flakey. There must be some library that is installed with Gnome that helps here...

It's pretty depressing. I don't want to release my final Easy Debian image until I feel more satisfied with the virtual keyboard performance...

How's the Deblet hildon-input-method coming, Stskeeps?

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Works fine - but only in matchbox wm :P Packages are on fatalsaint's apt repos
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Can you replace openbox with matchbox in LXDE without too much fallout?

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Can you replace openbox with matchbox in LXDE without too much fallout?
Think the app list starts complaining but besides that, no (johnx mentioned something about that)
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

No on-screen keyboard seems to work as it should. The best solution -- usability wise, anyway -- I found is using xvkbd but starting it in Maemo. It doesn't hide well (covers every scroll bar), and also if you quite it, you have to go back into Maemo to start it again. That is probably not a great solution for including in your Easy-Debian package (because it is not integrated into Debian), but at least it works...

Oh... MY! Using Stskeeps' instructions and packages, the Hildon stylus keyboard WORKS in any Debian GTK app running in OS2008. For some reason, the space bar on the keyboard is dead, but...

GTK-only means it works for Leafpad but not for OpenOffice, etc. Also, it seems that AbiWord and the GTK-based browsers don't invoke HIM consistently. When you click in a text field in a web page or on the document in Abiword nothing happens, but they invoke the stylus kbd when you click in the address bar or search dialog.

I still haven't tried it in LXDE yet.

Last edited by qole; 2008-09-13 at 18:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Oh... MY! Using Stskeeps' instructions and packages, the Hildon stylus keyboard WORKS in any Debian GTK app running in OS2008. For some reason, the space bar on the keyboard is dead, but...

GTK-only means it works for Leafpad but not for OpenOffice, etc. Also, it seems that AbiWord and the GTK-based browsers don't invoke HIM consistently. When you click in a text field in a web page or on the document in Abiword nothing happens, but they invoke the stylus kbd when you click in the address bar or search dialog.
That would be related to the troubles with HIM in native abiword, I'd guess.

Oh, and does entering spaces with gestures (drag right) work?

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
That would be related to the troubles with HIM in native abiword, I'd guess.
What's the browsers' excuse? Perhaps its because the interface (including the address bar) is GTK, but the actual web page is rendered with gecko/webkit?

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Oh, and does entering spaces with gestures (drag right) work?
Where do I drag right?

Oh and I can't get H.I.M. to work in the secondary WM (running in :1). It kills the virtual keyboard in maemo (display :0) and doesn't seem to work in the secondary WM. I guess it doesn't allow two copies of the daemon to run (one per display).

I tried substituting matchbox-window-manager for openbox-lxde, but that was a disaster too. MWM is missing a lot of features in openbox, and the H.I.M. still doesn't work.

Where do I drag right?
On any key; more info.

(And I'm guessing you're right about the browsers.)

Ok, Benson, if I can gesture a space on any key, then no.

I just wish there was a non-flakey virtual keyboard. It is kinda depressing that such a central component is so problematic.

I can only find matchbox-keyboard, xvkbd, and (the currently untested) gok (Gnome onscreen keyboard). Any others out there? Does xkbd work better, and if so, can fatalsaint compile it and put it in his repo? Is this a problem with something below the keyboard, something wrong with the implementation of X in Xephyr?

Tags
debian, easy debian, lxde, xephyr, xvkbd