I seem to have the same issues described in this thread but I can't find a solution (device is out of warranty). The machine was working fine. An hour after I answered a call that worked fine, I went to make a call only to find that the screen wouldn't come on. There was no significant trauma to the box in the interim. It worked one moment, then it didn't. The symptoms are as follows:
The screen is permanently black, but the status LED seems to work. It fades in to white and fades out from white when you hold the power button.
When starting, you still hear the Nokia jingle, and the keyboard lights up, but the slight rumble normal present at boot doesn't happen.
However, you do feel the slight rumble feedback when touching the screen.
The video output doesn't show anything on my TV (maybe a thin white line through the middle).
Reflashing didn't help (but did make it so that the status LED now blinks twice amber after it fades in to white).
Removing/replacing the battery/SIM card (no MMC is used here) didn't help.
Re-seating the ribbon cable to the screen didn't help.
The box seems to charge up just fine, but still doesn't work fully charged.
The device was never over-clocked and didn't have anything strange installed on it.

The device is 14 months old, putting it just barely out of warranty. Has anyone had this problem repaired out-of-warranty and can give me a price estimate? Nokia won't give any kind of guess, but I don't want to send it in if the repair will cost more than getting another off ebay. Is there something else I should try?

hey jcooper
i just had an exactly similar problem with my 13 month 900...don't know what 2 do...did everything from flashing to tv-out and all,but nothing seems to work,,,

could u tell how your problem got solved??..
thnx

Hate to bump an old thread but my N900 is doing the exact same thing.

Anyone? I'm about to just go ahead and buy a new phone...

One... last... final... bump... ;__;

At least in EU, warranty is always 24 months, if someone bought it from first hand.

Anyway, try cold flashing + framebuffer kernel (maybe at least to some point, messages will appear). Otherwise, it's a lotta hell of mystery.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Had this problem a while ago.. in my case, the battery monitor was lying - it was very low on battery.

Had to give it a decent charge before it was able to boot again.