Active Topics

The WH-205 earphones that came with my N900 have died; there is an internal break and it has lost sound to one ear. I don't want another pair of them, I'm looking for an alternative set of in-ear earphones with a mic. Can anyone suggest something that has been tested with an N900? I bought a pair of Klipsch S2m earphones which had been suggested, but they don't work, they make a strange and loud clicking noise, so it seems the N900 is sensitive about which earphones/headsets work.

Ideally I'm after earphones that have a cable, so I can use them on an aeroplane. Don't mind if they are Bluetooth too, as long as wired use is possible. I don't mind if special buttons don't work, as long as the audio and mic work correctly.

Can anyone suggest anything that has been proven to work in practice? Thanks very much in advance,

Cheers, Tony.

The Following User Says Thank You to abcoates For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'm impressed with Skullcandy Titans, but I'd get their FMJs or Holuas if I had the money.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abcoates View Post
Can anyone suggest anything that has been proven to work in practice?
Not really what you want but might be of interest to someone else who comes across this thread: I use the Jabra BT3030 bluetooth dongle with various ear/head phones (inc noise cancelling). I use it mostly for listening to music (it has volume and track controls).
It also has a built in mic, so I can pick up calls when I am listening to the music.

Last edited by filbert; 2010-06-17 at 20:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to filbert For This Useful Post:
Funny thing that N900 has now broken 5 of my headphones the same way you describe.
First I lose sound from the right channel and then after a while the earphones just die on me and I occasionally hear sound when I rotate it inside the socket.

And yes, I've cleaned the cable and stuff. I even tested the earphones in other devices and it's the same thing.

N900 seems to like to break earphones. I'm afraid to buy more because it would just break them as well.

Has this happened to others? Should I ask Nokia to refund the broken earphones?

That is interesting. I saw a similar complaint on an mp3 player forum about somebody's mp3 player killing earphones. One earphone after another burned out, always in the right channel. The cure was to avoid plugging/unplugging the earphones while the player was turned on. Apparently that particular player was sending dc into the earphones when you do that. Maybe the n900 has a similar bug.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 417 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ At your mom's house, with my feet up!
so youre saying the n900 is a serial headphone killer?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to optimistprime For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abcoates View Post
The WH-205 earphones that came with my N900 have died; there is an internal break and it has lost sound to one ear.
Even mines not working...the one with the longer wire...

Could we have a sticky on headSETS known to work? Perhaps we can then extrapolate the TRRS pinouts and make a TRRS male-female converter for iPhone-aimed sets.

(Actually I could just butcher the stock Nokias... Might do that)

Originally Posted by rohityes View Post
Even mines not working...the one with the longer wire...
thats wiered ... cuz mine too is not workin' ... but it is the one with short wire (the left one) ... i've tried unplug it but it doesn't work .. any suggestions?

Originally Posted by punto View Post
Could we have a sticky on headSETS known to work? Perhaps we can then extrapolate the TRRS pinouts and make a TRRS male-female converter for iPhone-aimed sets.

(Actually I could just butcher the stock Nokias... Might do that)

Yeah I've had similar issues. I've looked up the iphone pinouts. So later today, Figured out the pinout on the n900. Later today or tomorrow, I'm going to buy some 4 pin plugs and just make an adapter.

That way I can gurantee it to work on any headphone/mic combo.

I'll post come pics and instructions later after a few tests.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DACHIGGA For This Useful Post: