Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Glue View Post
Sorry if what i am about to say has been covered before, with over 200 pages of thread to read through it probably has i am bound to have missed it. Can anyone here tell me if they have returned theirs to CarPhone Warehouse only to be fobbed off with some crap about it being caused by water damage? I ask

I'm sure I've seen water damage mentioned before; you might try searching this thread for just those two words.

Anyway, Nokia is the best place for you to continue your battle.

yes it does throw up a few results, in fact in Nokia's discussion forum there is a guy who is in exactly the same boat as me. I'm no expert in electronics but i do know that the mains charger supplied has a strong enough current to cause a build up of heat where the connection is not sound .. maybe that's why they made the fitting tight .. why on earth they chose to surface mount something that is clearly going to get a hell of a lot of use is beyond me... anyway i guess that's been mentioned more than once here .. if water is getting in via the socket then that also must surely be a design flaw .. or, from a purely cynical point of view maybe that is Nokia's get out clause .. time will tell in my case

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
It can not be a get out it is a very very bad design fault and your right they should never have surface mounted the usb port, crazy crazy thing to do.

Where the hell does the water come from in the first place anyhow? next they will say you spit in it ! crazy talk from crazy so called bad engineering fix it con artists.

Carphone Warehouse already have a bad reputation about this sort of practice. It's just a shame that i didn't know this before choosing to buy a phone from them .. and the best thing they could offer me? 10% off another phone .. the phrase insult to injury springs to mind ... they were less than helpful in not being willing nor able to charge the battery for me so i could at least have half a chance of backing it up...

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Peterborough, UK
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Nice to see at least the UK is doing things properly regarding the USB design fault by replacing the unit with no sad stories.

The rest of the world should take heed of how the UK deals with this problem so please keep at them and remind them of this very thread.
I had the same experience (also with Nokia Care UK), however they returned my phone in a hybrid state (the back was now HW revision 2204, with the front the original 2101 still) and I found that neither the notification LED nor the earpiece worked any more. So, I've had to send it back again and can only hope they'll replace the whole phone this time - and not claim it's BER..

The Following User Says Thank You to Tigerite For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
My N900's usb port came out once already with the charger and I had it repaired. Ater it was fixed moving n900 even a little bit while charging made the charging fail. Two days ago it didn't charge at all when i plugged the charger and sent it to warranty repair again. Did the usb port break again or is it something else? What do you think?

Hi,
I have the charger port broken on my nokia n900, I gave it to a local repair shop and he spoilt the data tracks as he said. Then he told he has used some jumpers and brought my phone to a working state. The problem now is that, When I connect the USB cable from pc, it recognises and charges and also can do data transfer. But now if i unplug (safely and unsafely) from pc, i see the charging indicator on screen and Led on the phone shows charging for about 15, 20 min and stops, then connect to a charger, it does not recognise it. It does not recognise even if i connect in between those 15,20 min. If I switch the phone off and then on and charge it using wall charger it charges, but this time, the charging indicator remains on for ever and now if i connect to my computer, pc does not recognise the phone. Hence again I need to turn the phone off and on and then the pc recognises.
Hence once the phone is on i can either charge using wall charger or charge and transfer data using usb on pc.
Also when i put the battery in, the Phone boots for a second, 'nokia' comes up and switches off. Then i can power it on.
Please tell me what might have gone wrong.

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
It's now been over 2 weeks, and I've heard nothing back from carphone warehouse... And god damn going back to my n95 feels like a visit to a musem...

Originally Posted by Tedri Mark View Post
It's now been over 2 weeks, and I've heard nothing back from carphone warehouse... And god damn going back to my n95 feels like a visit to a musem...
i feel your pain .. i keep going to turn it sideways expecting my trusty ol' QWERTY keyboard to grace me with its presence .. damn i hate typing text messages using a numerical pad .... so old fashioned

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I have a new surface mount microUSB port coming from an eBay seller in a few weeks, is there another known best or strongest port manufacturer or supplier though?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Micro-USB-Data-P...item33677d9dd8
This ebay microUSB port looks to have significantly more surface area on the sides and with my scraped and tinned groundplane I am hoping it will hold but I also have been having issues with the internals of the microUSB port coming loose even after I reattached the port thus the replacement.
Has anyone ever been successful with the through hole connection route? My concern is hitting an active layer in the multilayer circuit board and shorting it to ground. Ebay has some nice looking through hole anchor microSD ports with surface mount data, ground, and power lines.
Re-installing my original Nokia USB port required the use of a 15x eye loupe since the contacts are so small. I plan to use magnet wire extensions to connect the data and power lines only soldering the port itself directly to the board when the replacement microUSB port arrives.

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty