Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Originally Posted by Glue View Post
i'm betting that you didn't get a new one then? they probably did you a hybrid jobby with your old screen and a new motherboard, happened to quite a few people
The first time I sent it in, I believe I recieved a refurb (none of my original parts), and all of my data was gone (as expected and as warned by Nokia when you send the phone in.)

I'll let you know how it goes this time around.

The thing I feared happened and my port broke 2 weeks ago. I still have 1yr left on my warranty so I sent it to nokia. 2 weeks without, mobile internet, keyboard for sms and my music, I was beginning to get withdrawal symptoms but today I got a message that my phone had arrived.

I drove to the store and back happy that my companion was back. I got home ready to use it again, exited I opened the bubble paper that it was wrapped in and there it was....... an N8 :'(.

Obvioulsy I went back and they said they were going to look into it, I guess It'll be a few wekks more in the darkness.

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
i feel your pain .. i keep going to turn it sideways expecting my trusty ol' QWERTY keyboard to grace me with its presence .. damn i hate typing text messages using a numerical pad .... so old fashioned
Got a call today offering me either an N8 or a Samsung galaxy i9000. Not keen on either to be honest...

I'm going to haggle for an E7, and teven then maybe just put it on ebay and buy another n900...

Just checked my phone status with Palco and it says my phone is "being returned unrepaired". Idk what happened with it. The usb port is still inside the phone so I figured the repair shouldn't be that hard.

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Mowgli View Post
My N900's usb port came out once already with the charger and I had it repaired. Ater it was fixed moving n900 even a little bit while charging made the charging fail. Two days ago it didn't charge at all when i plugged the charger and sent it to warranty repair again. Did the usb port break again or is it something else? What do you think?
Finally heard about my N900. It was damaged so bad that I gget a new unit. Because they didn't have any N900s on stock, they offered me a free N8 but i denied and said that only N900 or N9 will do. Have they done this to anyone else? : O

Who have you all contacted with issues in the US? My charge port completely ripped out.

So there's quite a few people emerging with the story of getting another phone when Nokia couldn't repair or replace their N900 and not being happy with the replacement model so, at the risk of possibly posting this in the wrong forum: If Nokia couldn't repair their device and no replacement N900 was available can anyone say what phone would be a satisfactory replacement?

Last edited by Glue; 2011-05-18 at 18:08.

So there's quite a few people emerging with the story of getting another phone when Nokia couldn't repair or replace their N900 and not being happy with the replacement model so, at the risk of possibly posting this in the wrong forum: If Nokia couldn't repair their device and no replacement N900 was available can anyone say what phone would be a satisfactory replacement?
From nokia? None I believe. Tomorrow I will try to see if I can pay to get a better replacement since they told me that a n900 was not possible, in that case it would be 100 extra euros (considering that the price of the N8 is around 400 in here) to get a Galaxy SII. Otherwise I guess I'll just have to live with an N8 until I can afford a new phone.

I ask this question because, having recently got mine back from the menders, they seem to have replaced the motherboard with a new one but having had a sneaky peek at it i see that it's identical to the old one and they still use the same flimsy method in attaching the connector to the board ... so now, with only 6 months warranty left i've got to be super careful with it .. cos if it goes wrong again it'll be either outside warranty or they'll probably not have any phones left and they'll try and fob me off with some lame excuse for a replacement ... even a refund doesn't appeal that much to me.

i do long for the days when i used to plug and unplug the plug from my old phones without giving a second thought as to whether i am going to pull off the connector

@abill_uk i have read through the thread and gathered that this issue is endemic to N900's and will happen to everyone eventually *unless* some preventive action is taken

can you do this preventive fix on a device that has no problems at the current time?

i tried to msg you privately but the board wouldn't allow me to

thnx

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty