Notices

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Just got Duke Nukem 3D working on my N900.

I'm using the non-sw version of the .deb package (since the share ware version had more errors) with my own duke3d.grp from the game disc. But you can use the duke3d.grp file from the 3Drealms Share Ware distro of the game as well.

Here's a copy of the SW grp file (just unzip first):

http://drolyag.tripod.com/duke3d.zip

Be sure to put duke3d.grp file in your memory card's /share/duke3d directory. (keep it all lowercase)

Download and install the .deb file from:

http://repository.maemo.org/extras/p...emo2_armel.deb

Before running the game the first time, edit the following file:

/usr/share/duke3d/duke3d.cfg

Change the screen size to 800x480

If you run the game before editing this file, you'll need to edit the copy that's created at first run time. That's in:

$HOME/.duke3d/duke3d.cfg

You can also customize your controls in this file if you like, but it's easier to do this in the game settings itself to whatever is most comfortable for you.

Remember, in the game toggle on the Mouse look button and you can then look and aim with the N900's touch screen!

Biggest gripe is that the N900 has no ESC key and you can't bind that function to anything else in the config file. So if you want to navigate the game's menus to save/load, customize controls, or cleanly exit the game you must use a bluetooth keyboard or keyboard input over a VNC server.

Of course if you just want to quit the game, you can just tap the power button and click "end current task".

Here we go. It's no screencast, but I think I got a decent focus length in this video.

Duke Nukem 3D on the N900:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsWVfLF79Cg

Last edited by cddiede; 2009-12-07 at 03:17.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
The method above requires root access and unexperienced users might mess up their device.

Wouldn't it be easier for everyone if the package's maintainer repackaged the game for fremantle and uploaded it to fremantle repos? That way people woudn't need to manually install packages.

Other than that nice to know that duke3d works also in n900.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
I agrre, i would like to know if an easier way to instal this legend is possible ? nice work by the way ! a video would be very appreciate !

yeahhhhhh please

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Germany
Did you get the music working? I know that it doesn't on N8xx, but it would be great!

Now that we have OpenGL it would be nicer if someone would do a proper port of something like http://www.eduke32.com/.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by timoph View Post
The method above requires root access and unexperienced users might mess up their device.

Wouldn't it be easier for everyone if the package's maintainer repackaged the game for fremantle and uploaded it to fremantle repos? That way people woudn't need to manually install packages.

Other than that nice to know that duke3d works also in n900.
If anybody bothered to repackage, it would still end up in extras-testing or devel and stay there for some time. Then users would have to enable those, which might turn out even more dangerous

Have tripod killed the zip file?

Originally Posted by codeMonkey View Post
Have tripod killed the zip file?
No just cut and paste the link rather than clicking it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Queb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Moscow
Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
Just got Duke Nukem 3D working on my N900.
Make YouTube video?

Tags
nuclear warfare, nuking people = fun