Active Topics

I'll be keeping this thread until the day I no longer use my newly-acquired (as of Dec. 2014) N900 as my daily phone. Very interesting to have such a device nearly a half-decade after its original launch in a world where people dump their phones after 1.5 years of use. Perhaps it could be a quick reference to whomever wishes to take the plunge.

Even though the topic of the N900 being a phone is contested, I don't care; I'm calling it a phone.

I've decided to post this in the Off-Topic subforum to keep from shoving my experience in the faces of everyone on the forum. It'll be my personal thread that I'm freely sharing here, so anyone can interject if they'd like. No need to keep this on the top of the Active Topics.

I must say, the earphones that came with the N900 are probabaly the worst I've come across, and that's saying a lot. Too dark, bad tips, extremely microphonic. I'm shocked that the shirt clip doesn't do enough to mitigate the scraping...

Anyway, back on topic.

Out-of-the-box, it was a rather rough-around-the-edges experience for me. My old-beater Apple earbuds gave my ears cancer when I tried to plug them in. I didn't like the theming (too simple, but not in a way to make it visually appealing to me). I found the web browser to be lackluster. The default app manager is PAINFULLY slow! Gave a horrible first impression.

Well, so did Ubuntu, until I learned how to change that. I swear, the internet is the best thing to ever happen to Linux.

My phone came with the most up-to-date Nokia image, plus it was completely brand new (did the first boot wizard and everything), so I didn't bother reflashing. Lucky me.

The absolute first things I did were:
  • enable the CSSU Stable repositories
    update
    reboot

install Faster App Manager
    run it

enable the CSSU Testing repository + extras-devel repository
    update
    reboot

install Kernel Power
    reboot

I knew to do all of this from reading up on the wiki docs in anticipation, as I waited for my phone to be delivered. Even now, I have 20+ tabs open in Firefox to different wiki pages and TMO threads. However, the initial downloading of everything was like my internet was being run through a potato. ~40kB/s on average, and this is on my home WiFi. Granted, I don't have the best line speed, but I should be getting around 300kB/s on average. It improved after a while, which confused me, but I chose not to question it.

After doing those things, I decided to follow the instructions on the N900 The Perfect Setup page, having the webpage on the N900's browser so I could copy-paste commands. A few things about the N900's terminal confused me:
-I had to download scripts that allow the user account to be part of the sudoers group (granted, they're scripts, so it was quick and easy)
-the C-c, C-v bindings don't work in the terminal

Quite odd. I persevered and got plenty of the page done now. After that, I just decided to download a crippity-crap ton of apps, including, but not limited to:
-Fennec
-Mobile Hotspot
-Filebox
-OpenSSH
-Ubuntu Humanity theme (a plesant surprise, that)
-Pierogi
-modRana
-wget
-Kmplayer
-Leafpad
-the hidiously-outdated build of Midori
-Easy Debian (again, another plesant surprise)

-bnf (which is nice, but the name is the same as the BNF Syndrome that plagues the members of the Smash Bros community who've played the 3DS version of Smash Bros)

-freemangordon's 720p video fix (I couldn't even find abettercamera, so I should have no problems using the fix)
-cuteplayer-QML
-htop (yet another plesant surprise)

-Abiword (still another plesant surprise, plus I can use the Debian version for better .doc compatability)

-flashlight (I'm wary of this one, though I probably shouldn't be, considering the flashlight apps that are known to be spyware are closed-source)
-a bunch of widgets

I can't remember all of them at this moment (will edit tomorrow). I downloaded a lot of apps and turned the phone off to charge.

EDIT: As promised:
-3G/2G/Dual Mode Selection Applet
-Active Desktop Statusbar Icon (a plesant surprise)
-Adblock Plus plugin for Maemo browser
-Advanced Interface switcher
-Albion(impulsively downloaded it because the name reminds me of Fable. Haven't tried yet)
-android-lockscreen
-backupmenu (the wiki scared me into it)
-blessN900
-bluetooth-dun
-bluezwitch
-bootmenu
-C FM Radio
-CSSU Features Configuration
-Calculus (it says "for kids," but only advanced kids are learning calculus. Sue me)
-Callnotify (which I was shocked that wasn't included by default)
-Catorise (very nice)
-cell-modem-ui
-claws-mail
-claws-mail-html2 viewer
-clean900
-Community SSU enabler
-ConnectNow Internet connection switch
-coreutils-gnu (a plesant surprise)
-Crochik MyContacts (works better than the stock Contacts IMO)
-D-theme AeroBlue (which is nice, but I think I prefer the Ubuntu theme)
-Desktop Activity manager
-dillo
-eSpeak (dependency for modRana)
-ereswap (scripts are very basic, but it's nice to have them)
-extmou
-extra decoders support (another plesant surprise)
-FM Radio Player
-FastSMS
-fcam-drivers
-gFTP
-h-e-n
-hdrcapture
-headphone daemon
-healthcheck
-infozip's zip
-jSpeed
-Lens Cover reminder (love that)
-lzma
-MyPaint (have a pressure-sensitive screen+stylus, may as well use it
-ogg support
-personal dataplan monitor
-Petrovich
-Quicknote
-simple-brightness-applet
-Swappolube (which seems obligatory)
-TV out control desktop widget
-ttf-nokiapure (now if only I could get the Ubuntu fonts...)
-WiFi switcher
-WifiEye

[/EDIT]

Speaking of which, I had the phone hooked up to the charger the whole time I was playing with it, and that didn't seem to make much of a difference when I removed it from the charger. This is one of the reasons it's off right now (the other being that I spent hours messing with it, so may as well give it a break).

The keyboard felt alien to me. Not surprising, considering I've spent 3 years conditioning myself to use a vkb on my Windows Phone. The layout will take time to get used to, and the feel of the keys even longer. The keys are very flat and don't give much feedback when pressed. Not a bad keyboard overall, but not that good either. Either way, I'm glad to finally have one!

Right now, there's two things that I don't have the stones to do:
-repartition the flash (preferebly with something more up-to-date than EXT3+vFAT)
-delve into CSSU-Thumb

I'm inclined to leave the current partition layout as-is, but having an entire partition (with a dated file system, mind you) dedicated to storing docs/media on a device that has a uSD slot is really disturbing me. Perhaps not so much now that Easy Debian is installed, but it really is.

As for CSSU-Thumb, I'm getting closer to taking the plunge. The promise of a smaller memory footprint with a more up-to-date kernel is appealing. Hell, I already have the Testing repositories enabled, may as well, right? I'll get to it eventually.

Last edited by Tigerroast; 2014-12-11 at 15:48.

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
yeah ...the old grey mare she ain't what she used to be...
but now and again I swear I see the purebred show horse in her still.
even with her slowness compared to more modern devices she is still a joy.
I'm personally looking forward to seeing what freemantle will be like in compare.
Also looking forward to future good reads from your thread here.
well writ tigerroast.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

If you are using it as a day-to-day companion, and use calendaring at all, install Qalendar forthwith and use it instead of stock. It uses the same backend calendar system, but exposes so much more functionality. Also, if widgets are your thing, the Calendar Home widget displays a halfway decent amount of information.

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Last edited by TomJ; 2014-12-11 at 14:14. Reason: Got widget name wrong...

I have yet to take off the screen cover that the N900 came with. All I did was take the tag off. I'm starting to realize how much of a good that that step was. I'll eventually get a proper screen protector, but this will do for now.

Anyway, I decided to see if any of the packages have updates today, and it looks like the Kernel-power indeed had an upgrade today! Not bad!

Browsing through other apps, I noticed that Sixad is available for download. Before, I was questioning why anyone would want to play an emulator on this phone, considering the keyboard wouldn't make for a good controller. Then I found this. I believe since Linux 3.2, PS3 controllers work out-of-the-box, but this will definitely do. I haven't tried it yet, but I will. Hopefully, it'll work better than it does on Android (have to plug the PS3 controller into the USB-OTG cable in order to sync it with the phone every time the phone's asleep).

I'm also installing Qalendar, as per recommendation. I saw the wiki page before, but I didn't bother at the time. I am now. I like it so far. However, I just want to know if there's a way to sync up with an online calendar. That's the primary feature I'd like to have.

The more I'm going under-the-skin of Maemo, the more curious I become as to what it would be like running a different OS on the N900. I won't try it yet on the grounds that I need it for communication and I can't risk bricking it, but I still wonder. I could imagine running Debian Jessie with systemd+Debian's stable 3.2 kernel, but the damned RAM is a problem. I'm more likely to run the Thumb kernel than Debian right now. Perhaps that'll change with the Neo900?

Speaking of, can someone convince me to take the plunge and enable the Thumb repos? I'd like to, but the wiki page did a good job in scaring me away from it.

One thing the wiki pages aren't scaring me from, however, is overclocking. I'm aware that doing that might have an effect on the device's lifetime, but I don't care. I'm tired of the jitters and slow transitions. Overclocking is, so far, really helping with that. I can definitely tell the difference. All I really did was set the minimum to 250MHz and max to 900MHz. It's really helping move the UI along.

Speaking of the UI, I find it to be quite good. I like the fact that there's always a button to go to overview (I should get around to making a keyboard shortcut for that), kinda like in GNOME. Also, my apps are no longer all over the place.

So far, it's starting to look like I just got a steal on functionality that I'd normally have to pay a premium for. This phone cost me $100+shipping, and I already have as much functionality as a Galaxy S4. I think the next time I post, It'll be about the browsers and a comparison to a relatively recent device.

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Methinks the man be hooked
As far as the brow-furrowing concern of bricking your device playing with alt. os's considering you wish this to be your primary device for phone capabilities...you can't do much bricking going into the shallow end of the pool by installing Easy Debian...sure it's a chroot...so it sorta rides on top of the maemo os and allows you to utilize and run proper debian programs ...not all debian programs are optimally (non frustratingly usable that is..) designed for the screen size or the stylus input methods...some are perfect for the n900 ...some programs have been or can be modified to n900 usability...so yeah...lotsa safer fun there with Easy Deb.....it's in the ham. Doubt you can muck things up and the bonuses are pretty great...also very easy to install.
BTW my suggestion... purely from my own experiences and some others...stay away from that lovely and speedy temptress FAM . It can give you headaches. Not everybody has probs with her...but...well...something to consider. HAM may be slower ...but at least it works properly.
As far as great apps go that I can suggest...where to start?

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Last edited by endsormeans; 2014-12-11 at 17:41.

Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Methinks the man be hooked
As far as the brow-furrowing concern of bricking your device playing with alt. os's considering you wish this to be your primary device for phone capabilities...you can't do much bricking going into the shallow end of the pool by installing Easy Debian...it's in the ham. Doubt you can muck things up and the bonuses are pretty great...also very easy to install.
BTW my suggestion... purely from my own experiences and some others...stay away from that lovely and speedy temptress FAM . It can give you headaches. Not everybody has probs with her...but...well...something to consider. HAM may be slower ...but at least it works properly.
As far as great apps go that I can suggest...where to start?
I already have Easy Debian installed. I just haven't gotten around to toying with it. Do you think repartitioning the VFAT partition to FAT32 would be of any help?

So far, I've had 0 problems with FAM. It's been all upside for me. What are the headaches you and others had with FAM? Crashing while updating?

Also, what do you suggest for downloading maps? modRana's decent, but it's really not doing it for me.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Tigerroast View Post
The absolute first things I did were:
  • enable the CSSU Stable repositories
    update
    reboot

install Faster App Manager
    run it

enable the CSSU Testing repository + extras-devel repository
    update
    reboot

install Kernel Power
    reboot
In the future, if you intend to use KP (Kernel Power) anyway, then I suggest to install it first, before installing CSSU. That's because CSSU requires its own kernel or KP and will check on installation if one of them is already on. Installing KP first will save you a few MB.

Maps are always kind of a personal choice area...some like one ...some like another prog.
Oooh the joy of FAM...the issues some have had including me...it gets stuck updating the catalogues...doesn't finish...PITA . Some progs aren't listed that are in HAM...etc..
better is taking a look at some sources for full disclosure of probs people have had...like
http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU/...roken_packages
As far as vfat vs fat32...mmm
I suggest a separate partition ext3....copy your easy deb to it...say a 10gb partition..."do the voodoo that you do ..so welllllll..." (harvey korman)and of course...the inference is that you are utilizing the entire 10gb for easy deb...not the eensy-weensy <2gb space you get by default install...it may break a bead of sweat on your brow doing it...but it will run better, faster, and you'll have a proper ton of space to play with installing alllll kinds of new stuff....wheeeee!

Owner of :

Lost invested funds.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
If you get irritated by the slow/jerky desktop animations you should install MaeModder and enable HWsync of Hildon. It makes the desktop transitions much smoother. (MaeModder has also a bunch of other customization options, such as custom transitions, you may find useful.)

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
I noticed you have installed Catorise. I had this installed way back but it caused some serious battery drain a some times. Don't know if the issue still persists on CSSU or thumb but you should have a look at it some time with "battery graph" or alike

As for Callnotify: I have never missed it as you always have a hovering preview window for calls sms messages and alike... but that's personal preference I guess.

EDIT: Please keep in mind that some information found on TMO may be outdated or interfering with new features from CSSU or alike, as can be seen on the list posted by endsormeans