Originally Posted by mooler View Post
i just did it. Mine works. I use a samsung a990 with Verizon wireless. It says data call at 14.4k LOL. I went into the secret menu and changed the port map for Data to Bluetooth instead of USB

Now it says authentication failed on the N800.

I dont know if i was running the internet through the phone now. I think it was stuck using my router. I went to speakeasy.net and i was gettin 4mbps. Interesting. Ill investigate more.
So you are using Juno as I described? How do I access the secret menu of my phone? Maybe I need to remap the port to BT as well.

Oh and in the connection settings menu see if you can turn up the speed of the dial up connection, maybe you can get it faster than 14.4k.

IF your using GSM you'll need to make sure your carrier has CSD enabled still or even HSCSD but not GPRS that will NOT let you connect to land-line modems (At&t doesnt offer if im pretty sure anymore, they might if you call tech support) I know t-mobile still does.

And as far as CDMA humm havent tried it yet but im sure it works via 1xrtt I will have to play around with CDMA some time and find out

Thanks for the extra info, I'll call AT&T tomorrow to confirm, I'll be angry if they don't support it, because my phone already does. Please let us know if you figure out and additional information.

Mooler - what carrier are you using?

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Detroit, MI
So you are using Juno as I described? How do I access the secret menu of my phone? Maybe I need to remap the port to BT as well.

Oh and in the connection settings menu see if you can turn up the speed of the dial up connection, maybe you can get it faster than 14.4k.
My phone is a Samsung A990. To access the menu on my samsung I went to the settings and tools menu and typed # then 000000

I then port mapped all of the USB to Bluetooth.

But I had to enable Bluetooth DUN using a software hack that I cannot discuss here. You can go to HowardForums.com to see how to enable DUN

As far as I can tell, I have no menu option in my secret menu or otherwise to change connection speeds or Baud rate.

Basically I get a connection to the phone, But it wont authenticate.

I am currently using these settings on my N800

Data Call
5864359414 (this is the access number)
username@juno.com
password

on my Samsung

Port Map
DS (Data) - Bluetooth
DM (Diag) - Bluetooth
HFK/FTC - UART

Force Mode
CDMA Only

I really dont know what HFK/FTC is, I just used the default.

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Detroit, MI
Mooler - what carrier are you using?
Verizon Wireless

Mooler I was talking about the options on your IT, you can go into connection settings and change the call from Normal to High Speed and such.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benz145 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Benz145 View Post
Does anyone know of a similar solution that could be done with the Internet Tablets? I've attempted to set up a data call connection with my N810 and BT cell phone but I haven't gotten anything to work. Does anyone use a solution like this and could provide any help?
I managed to make a data call connection with T-Mobile (non-data service - don't want to pay the extra monthly fees for occasional use) to Budget Dialup http://www.budgetdialup.com/ using their free trial with my Motorola A780 Linux-based phone and N800. On the N800 I initially tried to set up a "generic" dial-up account but experienced problems with connections as previously described. What worked for me was to choose "T-Mobile Internet" from the list and then to edit the connection to change the dialup number from the default to the local Budget Dialup access number, and to add the login account information (Username/Password). IIRC I had to set up the modem connection on the A780 via the menu icon, but unfortunaltely I can't verify details as:
1. I dropped the phone in the street last week and it was run over before I realized it was missing. Replacement due to be delivered today.
2. Bluetooth on the N800 has stopped working on the N800 for the 3rd time - already returned it for Nokia service twice before for this problem!!! Going to start a new thread elsewhere on that issue.

Anyway, the dial-up connection did work for SLOOOOOW internet browsing and maemo-mapper updates on-the-road until the above breakages.

So I got off the phone with AT&T after finally being able to tell them that I wanted to use a data call and not some sort of tethering plan, EDGE, or GPRS. They told me that what I was looking for is something called CSD, or Circuit Switched Data, they sent me an e-mail saying this - "CSD is no longer offered. AT&T will support existing CSD users, but will NOT provision any new subscriptions. For additional assistance, please contact Customer Care."

So is CSD really the right term for what I have been trying to do, and my search has ended with this telling me that I cannot do it anymore with my carrier? Or is this incorrect and I'm still looking for something else (I wouldn't be surprised because they just about never have any idea what you are talking about...)...

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Biel/Bienne - Switzerland
in short it is, newer than that would be HSCSD (High Speed Circuit Switched Data) and that would be something like 40 KBit/s down and 14.4 up.

Mooler, did you get any of the high speed settings working? Are you using this now as a connection in certain situations?