Cool it works, though now my mmc boot has 500 MB of storage and the rest is just regular internal memory (3.5 GBs roughly) . It's not going be enough to install KDE on it. >.<

Off to redo it. I guess the step
---
[the following is for an 8GB card; for a 2GB card use 1100 instead of 7100; for a 4GB card, use 3100; for a 16GB card, use 15100]
[If you want to understand this better, see this post.]
0,7100,0C [after entering this, the new prompt should end in p2]
,,, [that's right, you type three commas and click enter]
----

So where I wrote 3100 I need to put the equivilant MBs# for about 3 GBs?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by mooler View Post
I was wondering if I boot to flash memory, go into control panel>tools>Clear Device would that wipe out initfs? The only reason i am asking this is because I cloned my filesystem with plenty of apps installed and I was thinking that if I could format the internal flash and flash a fresh install of os2008 then I could go back in case I brick anything. N800 OS2008 53-1 cloned on 4gb SDHC

Is this possible? Is <Clear Device> safe
No, clear device doesn't touch initfs. But a reflash does.

If you do reflash original initfs, and if you still have initfs_flasher folder, go into it and run ./initfs_flash initfs.bootmenu.jffs2

There any reason why the card would be saying it cant copy/full when imaging the OS to SD ?? (thinking might be the SDHC card)

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Detroit, MI
Just cloned the os to 4gb SD Card and booting from the card it is saying that I only have 96mb left on the internal card, but 3.21gb on the Device. Is this how it is supposed to be? Because even if I boot to flash it says I only have 96mb left on the internal and 143mb on the device

Another question..I did a search but I couldnt find anything. Is it possible to edit the boot menu to remove/add entries, change the names of the entries and select which partition the tablet to boot to by default? Right now when i boot the tablet it goes into the boot menu and selects External MMC (N/A) and I want it to select Internal MMC and automatically boot into Internal MMC and change the timeout from 30sec to maybe 5sec

Also, holding the MENU key gives me the same bootmenu -- nothing advanced about it

Last edited by mooler; 2008-04-14 at 23:05.

mooler, which #s did you use when it came to the point where you had to enter "/dev/mmcblk0 -uM" and then you'd type in "/dev/mmcblk0p1: 0,3300,0C" and "/dev/mmcblk0p2: ,,,"?

Trying to get it so I have 128 MBs (or more if necessary) for my internal memory card and the rest for my device memory (to install KDE and apps). Currently using the instructions in the first post with "03100,0C" netted me with 500 MB of device memory and the rest of memory 3+ GBs for my internal memory card.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by binjinx View Post
There any reason why the card would be saying it cant copy/full when imaging the OS to SD ?? (thinking might be the SDHC card)
I can't think of why (though you might get a better answer from a real Linux user/guru, like fanoush).

If it's the SDHC card, it ought to be solved by your formatting it per Step 2. My guess is that if it can be formatted that way, it isn't your problem. If you want to double-check further, also format it with Windows (if that's your computer OS) to FAT. If both those work, I'd be very doubtful the card is the problem.

bunanson has listed what cards are known to have worked for cloning.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Originally Posted by mooler View Post
Another question..I did a search but I couldnt find anything. Is it possible to edit the boot menu to remove/add entries, change the names of the entries and select which partition the tablet to boot to by default? Right now when i boot the tablet it goes into the boot menu and selects External MMC (N/A) and I want it to select Internal MMC and automatically boot into Internal MMC and change the timeout from 30sec to maybe 5sec
There is a README from fanoush in the initfs_flasher folder you created in the cloning process. Check that out. Also, this thread.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
ok figured out PQI 8gb SDHC class 6 cards WILL NOT work with 0,7100,0C or 0B partition setting need 7000 or lower (card shows up as 7.68 formated this normal for 8gb? might be issue with the card maker)

Anyways since thats figured out now what i need to know is anyone run into the issue of getting corrupt p2 on mmc ?? i did fsck everything is fine. Would the 2nd partition be shown on the flash boot (in fstab or mount?) cause it doesnt show up by default

Originally Posted by binjinx View Post
ok figured out PQI 8gb SDHC class 6 cards WILL NOT work with 0,7100,0C or 0B partition setting need 7000 or lower (card shows up as 7.68 formated this normal for 8gb? might be issue with the card maker)

I think you're mistaken about those parameters not working on that card. It all depends on how much you want in each partition, but you ought to be able to flash into 256MB.

7.68 is certainly within the normal range. I think mine have been more like 7.5 to 7.6.

Glad you got it working!

Help Save This Forum

Nope not mistaken 0,7100 would FAIL every time the OS was copied over saying CARD FULL etc.(12 attempts done all resulted in the same ending till i gave more room to the 2nd partition) Changed the size everything copied over flawlessly like it should have, like i said its prob. something with just this PQI 8gb card (yes LLF was done everytime)

Just trying to figure out this failed immc2 now