Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Well, if you lived through that 12 times, you're right!

(BTW, I'm not saying 12 times is too many; I made the guide because when I was going through all the places I went to, I probably did that too.)

You ought to put a post on bunanson's thread, URL in early reply to you, about your PQI experience.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Detroit, MI
mooler, which #s did you use when it came to the point where you had to enter "/dev/mmcblk0 -uM" and then you'd type in "/dev/mmcblk0p1: 0,3300,0C" and "/dev/mmcblk0p2: ,,,"?
I used 0,3100,0C -- i assume that tells the partitioner to use the entire space of the card.

0,3300,0C gives you 500mb on the device and the rest for the memory card. I believe you can still install KDE on the MMC partition.

I guess i am going to start over and use the 0,3300,0C option. I dont like the idea of having the whole card taken up because I usually use WinSCP to SSH into the tablet from my WinXP pc to transfer debs and such because It can be a pain doing things like that directly from the tablet

Originally Posted by mooler View Post
I used 0,3100,0C -- i assume that tells the partitioner to use the entire space of the card.
It's the ,,, for the second partition that tells it to use up the entire space. Take a look at the link I recommend at that part of the guide.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Is it the first partition or the second partition that the OS is installed on? Is it the second partition because it seems the FAT part gets written to at this point.

"sudo gainroot
mkdosfs /dev/mmcblk0p1 [it will pause after a string of ###, then get back to a # prompt]
shutdown -r now"

And that's what I deduced from the guide you linked me. So if I wanted at leaset 128 MB for the internal memory card that would be

"#sfdisk /dev/mmcblk0 -uM

/dev/mmcblk0p1: 0,128[+if I want more],0C
/dev/mmcblk0p2: ,,,
/dev/mmcblk0p3:
/dev/mmcblk0p4:"

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Is it the first partition or the second partition that the OS is installed on? Is it the second partition because it seems the FAT part gets written to at this point.

"sudo gainroot
mkdosfs /dev/mmcblk0p1 [it will pause after a string of ###, then get back to a # prompt]
shutdown -r now"

And that's what I deduced from the guide you linked me. So if I wanted at leaset 128 MB for the internal memory card that would be

"#sfdisk /dev/mmcblk0 -uM

/dev/mmcblk0p1: 0,128[+if I want more],0C
/dev/mmcblk0p2: ,,,
/dev/mmcblk0p3:
/dev/mmcblk0p4:"
Not sure what you mean by "So if I wanted at least 128 MB for the internal memory card," but the OS is getting written into p2, into the "leftover" on the card from what you made in p1.

mkdosfs /dev/mmcblk0p1 formats the FIRST partition in FAT. You already formatted p2 in ext2.

Yes, if you want the 128MB to be FAT, you've written it correctly. This will leave your OS and apps swimming in a very large Linux partition (unless you have a tiny card).

Help Save This Forum

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2008-04-15 at 02:55.

Well I want it so I can extend the memory (virtual memory). Also it'll be nice to have the space for KDE and such. And off I go. to redo this. I only need to start off from Step 7 right?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Well I want it so I can extend the memory (virtual memory). Also it'll be nice to have the space for KDE and such. And off I go. to redo this. I only need to start off from Step 7 right?
Yes, you can start with Step 7.

I take it you've read up on installing KDE elsewhere, how much room on what partition, etc. (I know nothing about it.)

Good luck! Enjoy!

Help Save This Forum

Ok im stump'd completely did a FRESH start go at clonning via the #1 post and PQI 8gb SDHC card just will not play nicely trying to boot after following install (everything goes 100% smoothly increasing the 2nd partition size to 7000 vs 7100 so that issue is fixed with this size/maker of card) but trying to boot from MMC2 always results in a corrupt immc2 then boot flash instead

any fix or this or just be easier to forget this card?? (since its a class 6 i'd rather get it working vs sticking a older 2gb card in (class 4))

Are you making it all the way through Step 10 before giving up? Until you've done the final formatting, you get a message that the card is corrupt.

Help Save This Forum

Hmm to interesting things to note (encountered a problem). After the first time, it no longer reports the card corruption error.

The second thing is on the last step when I'm formating for the FAT partition.

mkdosfs /dev/mmcblk0p1

Normally it would show the #####

But now it says mkdosfs: /dev/mmcblk0p1 contains a mounted file system.

Edit: And memory in the internal flash of maemo reports that my memory on the internal memory card is still 3 GBs..

Edit: Fixed it. After receiving that prompt I, unmounted /media/mmc2 and then redid that command and it worked. Though booting from mmc only reports 250 MB for the device memory.. gotta go see what went wrong.

Edit: I noticed in Milhouse's post that he ends it in 6 with the cards 2 GB or less. For example "/dev/mmcblk0p1: 0,300,06"

Does that have something to do with it?

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2008-04-15 at 04:55.