Has anyone been able to get Kismet to run on the N800? I have tried all the available OS versions and all of them work with Kismet the same. Runs for a few minutes then stops collecting data. Am I missing something really simple on this?

Originally Posted by nortonjco View Post
Has anyone been able to get Kismet to run on the N800? I have tried all the available OS versions and all of them work with Kismet the same. Runs for a few minutes then stops collecting data. Am I missing something really simple on this?
It's the network manager on the nokia os. It takes the radio out of monitor mode.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Is there a way to change the settings of the network manager?

with the latest IT2008 n800 firmware i've actually have had kismet run for over 1:20min's 1100 AP's detected so it sorta seems to be fully working (I have had a few issues which im trying to trace back to see whats causing the problems but so far it has locked up on some scans (around 600 hits and 40mins into it, and over 2 hours 2000 hits) weird

but it def. scans longer then 15mins now

Does anyone have a link to a .deb or something to install Kismet on OS2008?

It's on the eko.one.pl repository. It's built for 2006, but since it's a console app, it runs well.

I can't seem to download it.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
The Nokia WiFi stack has problems which prevent Kismet working effectively - the Kismet developer has contacted Nokia but they're not really interested in fixing the problems as WiFi auditing/sniffing isn't their primary motivation behind the NITs. Hopefully the Kismet developer can work around the problems, but it would be a lot easier if Nokia actively assisted the community rather than put out broken/problematic closed source firmware which nobody else can fix.

See this post on the Kismet site titled "What kismet needs for n800/n770" from October 2007:
What I think Kismet needs to have for me to do an official release on the 770/800:[list][*] dbus communication to the wlan control program to suspend network scanning while kismet is running[*] launcher scripts to bring kismet up in a terminal automatically[*] bluetooth gps detection scripts to detect GPS units and use them, integration with the os2007 gpsd system

I don't know when I'll have time to work on adding these, so consider this a call for assistance from anyone who wants to get proper support going. Contact me over email or in the forums if you've got patches.
For Kismet deb requests you'd be better off posting on the Kismet forum and hope to catch the attention of Dragorn, or find him on IRC (#maemo on freenode). Experimental debs may be available, but given the lack of interest from Nokia to fix problems only they can address I think he's losing interest in the device, and who can blame him?

Nevermind, I finally got it to work.

The eko.one.pl repository no longer has kismet on it!! anybody know of a mirror or some other place to get the package?