If you want to try to get this to work yourself and/or help others here, just go to www.juno.com scroll down to the fine print and click Free ISP, sign yourself up (they send you ads to your newly created Juno account to pay for the 10 hours of free access, or course you don't actually need to check that account). Once you are done singing up, download their software (tiny file actually), and go through a few steps until you enter your number and they give you a list of access numbers that you dial to access the service. That number should be used to configure the connection between your N810 and phone, but I haven't found out how to get it working yet.

Edit: Here is where I am now -

Ok so I've signed up with Juno who gives 10 free hours of internet access per month (for free, no other plan required). Now I'm trying to use my phone as a modem and dial their access number which I got by download the Juno software and going through the connection steps until I got an access number in my area.

Now I am trying to set it up so I can use that number to get a connection from my phone to my N810 via BT. So far I've tried configuring the connection as a data call. When I tell the N810 to connect it connects to the phone and it starts dialing the number, however only seconds after my phone starts dialing it says "Service Not Available" on my phone along with the number I'm trying to dial. I'm not sure why it is nearly instantly rejecting the call. My phone definitely recognizes it as a data call though because it has a totally different screen than just a regular phone call.

So, I know it is possible to access the internet this way, my friend has done it before. The only difference is that he was using a different (older) phone, and using a USB cable phone the phone instead of BT. I think if we can find out the right settings to get this to work it could mean 10 hours of free internet access for everyone with a BT phone, am I right? Anyone have any suggestions? At this point I'm just going through and trying to switch around settings systematically and see if I can get it to work.

A while back my friend signed up for a dial up ISP which offered a certain amount of minutes per month of their service for free. He connected his phone to his laptop via USB and dialed the ISPs number and was able to use those free minutes with a data call to get (slow) internet access, which worked well enough for IMing and such.

Does anyone know of a similar solution that could be done with the Internet Tablets? I've attempted to set up a data call connection with my N810 and BT cell phone but I haven't gotten anything to work. Does anyone use a solution like this and could provide any help?

Last edited by Benz145; 2008-02-05 at 02:54.

This works out of the box with the internet tablets. First check that you can access the internet directly from the phone (e.g. you have a GPRS service on your phone and it's set up correctly), then pair with the tablet via Bluetooth and you have internet access wherever you have a mobile signal.

Read the manual that came with the tablet (it's a PDF file on the tablet itself).

That's not what the OP asked about - GPRS works OK, what the OP asked about is dial-up. In principle that should work too, the question has come up before but I didn't see anyone actually describing a working scenario.

Oops, I completely miss read the OP, sorry about that.

Depends on your wireless carrier though. Here in Toronto I don't think Rogers actually has the equipment to support the old "modem dialup" anymore.

Interesting theory though...if I had dialup, which I do...and free evening and weekend calls...which I do...I could run msn and email over that with no data usage during that timeframe.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Benz145 View Post
A while back my friend signed up for a dial up ISP which offered a certain amount of minutes per month of their service for free. He connected his phone to his laptop via USB and dialed the ISPs number and was able to use those free minutes with a data call to get (slow) internet access, which worked well enough for IMing and such.

Does anyone know of a similar solution that could be done with the Internet Tablets? I've attempted to set up a data call connection with my N810 and BT cell phone but I haven't gotten anything to work. Does anyone use a solution like this and could provide any help?
Just for Benz145, a step by step guide, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...1383#post71383

BTW, I have yet to see anybody comment about the quality of a non 3G phone dial up modem. It is NOT very slow, I got close to 3 Mbps, and has enough bandwidth to do ebay and Google map simultaneously. Yes, we have all been spoiled by broadband, I just want to re-iterate, dial up via cellphone is NOT 56k. It is almost as good as a broadband having busy traffic on a web site....

Enjoy,

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-02-05 at 00:15.

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Just for Benz145, a step by step guide, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...1383#post71383

BTW, I have yet to see anybody comment about the quality of a non 3G phone dial up modem. It is NOT very slow, I got close to 3 Mbps, and has enough bandwidth to do ebay and Google map simultaneously. Yes, we have all been spoiled by broadband, I just want to re-iterate, dial up via cellphone is NOT 56k. It is almost as good as a broadband having busy traffic on a web site....

Enjoy,

bun
What are you using for your dial up service? I feel like I might need to enable GPRS (on the account end of my carrier) in order for the data call to go through correctly even if I'm not trying to use cellular internet access. They might also charge me an astronomical amount for a quick test connection if that is the case. I'm using AT&T and a Samsung SGH-D807, it would be great if I could get this set up and be able to IM and such wherever I have cell signal. Thanks for the help so far and please continue to do so : )

Ok so I've signed up with Juno who gives 10 free hours of internet access per month (for free, no other plan required). Now I'm trying to use my phone as a modem and dial their access number which I got by download the Juno software and going through the connection steps until I got an access number in my area.

Now I am trying to set it up so I can use that number to get a connection from my phone to my N810 via BT. So far I've tried configuring the connection as a data call. When I tell the N810 to connect it connects to the phone and it starts dialing the number, however only seconds after my phone starts dialing it says "Service Not Available" on my phone along with the number I'm trying to dial. I'm not sure why it is nearly instantly rejecting the call. My phone definitely recognizes it as a data call though because it has a totally different screen than just a regular phone call.

So, I know it is possible to access the internet this way, my friend has done it before. The only difference is that he was using a different (older) phone, and using a USB cable phone the phone instead of BT. I think if we can find out the right settings to get this to work it could mean 10 hours of free internet access for everyone with a BT phone, am I right? Anyone have any suggestions? At this point I'm just going through and trying to switch around settings systematically and see if I can get it to work.

Surely they has to be a way to get the settings right and make this work. It would be great to have even a slow connection to be able to check and e-mail or two, or IM on the go. Can anyone else assist in getting this to work?

It seems like the issue for me at the moment is that my phone is for some reason saying "Service Not Available" no matter what settings or number that I am trying to use. Does anyone know what else could be wrong, or why this is happening?

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Detroit, MI
i just did it. Mine works. I use a samsung a990 with Verizon wireless. It says data call at 14.4k LOL. I went into the secret menu and changed the port map for Data to Bluetooth instead of USB

Now it says authentication failed on the N800.

I dont know if i was running the internet through the phone now. I think it was stuck using my router. I went to speakeasy.net and i was gettin 4mbps. Interesting. Ill investigate more.

Last edited by mooler; 2008-02-05 at 03:43.