Since people keep asking me how to do this I made a tutorial.

I forgot how to modify the 770 via the Xterminal to get this to work but here's how to modify the hub itself.

The Cyberpower Hub provides power via batteries to the Female USB Ports. However, it does not provide power to the male plug. The Nokia needs this power on the Male plug in order to trip the host mode. So what I did was I took a regular wire and soldered it from a point on one of the Female Ports to the Male Plug. This borrows power from the female and brings it to the male.

NOTE: Try to find a thinner wire than the one I had. Mine was thick so the cover of my USB Hub wouldn't go back on anymore. I was too lazy to get another wire and redo it so I just let it run without a cover lol. Good luck!

1. Take off the cover

2. Pull out the red circuit board (keep it attached of course)

3. On the bottom of the board, I got a small wire and here's what I soldered it to:

Last edited by kutibah; 2007-02-26 at 03:48.

After performing this mod, can you still plug this hub into a PC? Does the PC still charge the batteries?

Cheers

Yes, it should still work that way because you're only borrowing the power.

Wait a minuite shouldnt the Female USB ports get power from the batteries? That doesnt make sense the male plug usually does since thats the part that usually goes into the PC ??

Or you saying that nokia's need the +5 in order to trip the host mode so your pulling off the female to male?

I was also interested in this item but now you got me confused saying the female ports arent powered?

Originally Posted by binjinx View Post
Wait a minuite shouldnt the Female USB ports get power from the batteries? That doesnt make sense the male plug usually does since thats the part that usually goes into the PC ??

Or you saying that nokia's need the +5 in order to trip the host mode so your pulling off the female to male?

I was also interested in this item but now you got me confused saying the female ports arent powered?
The batteries are only to power the hub (turn it on). They do not power what is plugged into the Hub. That is what this mod is for.

Wait, I'm confused now lol.

Here's a quote from what the Cyberpower Hub is supposed to do:

The latest product innovation from CyberPower Systems provides you with the ability to easily connect and power up to four USB devices without an ac power adapter. The new Mobile Battery Powered USB 2.0 4-port hub features rechargeable batteries to power the hub.
Technically, it should power the USB devices. But for some reason they don't which is why I did this mod. I can't remember the exact reason why I had to do this because it's been a year since. But I remember encountering a problem with powering my USB Flash Drive and so someone helped me do this.

Ahh. Ok, now I remember! lol

The Nokia 770 needs the USB Male plug to be powered to trip the host mode like you said. Stupid me. Yeah, that's what happened. The 4 USB ports have power and I'm borrowing the power from a female port to the male...

Thanks for catching that.

Last edited by kutibah; 2007-02-26 at 03:49.

Cool, you scared me there since i seen that device and already had a few projects lined up with it in mind

Whats the battery life like with those 4x650maH batteries? Does the manual say anything about what batteries you can and cant use ? As far as rechargeables (niMh, nicad, lion)

Picturing dropping 4x 4600mAh bad boys in there to power some things

I haven;t used it long enough to wear out the batteries. And the manual doesn't say anything about the batteries. But I'm pretty sure they'll last a while

If anyone needs one of these I just ordered a few for my store $18.75+shipping (US sales only please)