Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
It doesn't have 4G or a Whatsapp cliënt and much more expensive than the Android device. I would save my money or buy a Nokia N9 instead.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
And don't forget the magnets!
Any gizmo with magnets always trumps the poor hacks without
Yeah, especially if you keep credit cards in the same pocket

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
£50 to £70 pound extra to have Sailfish OS rather than Android? Bargain!
then try £100:

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_...news-11169.php

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
then try £100:
http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_...news-11169.php
Yeah but, surely now you get why it's unreasonable to expect them to be going pace-for-pace with the cheapest Android vendors.
Did you see my post, a premium's unavoidable at this stage of the game...

At least now it's within striking distance of those other handsets you listed, which is a fair effort, all things considered.

Last edited by jalyst; 2015-02-14 at 03:09.

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
£50 to £70 pound extra to have Sailfish OS rather than Android? Bargain!
RedMi is nice for the price.
The Sharp Crystal is the current king at 'better than Moto G' specs yet with a bargain price of US $150. That equates to roughly £132.

I don't see the justification of Jolla taking on extra responsibility of the hardware side, when it could very well offer the OS for certain devices.

If you guys recall this was the very first thing I said about Jolla. I even suggested using the Nexus 5, which by the way, is great hardware and price and availability and distribution support and accessories. It even supports Ubuntu.

To be honest I don't care that much, just as long as we get a device like the HTC One X 4G or better. Though I do wish that it would be cool to be a lead designer for one of the leading handset manufacturers.

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2015-02-14 at 07:49.

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I don't see the justification of Jolla taking on extra responsibility of the hardware side, when it could very well offer the OS for certain devices.
If you guys recall this was the very first thing I said about Jolla.

I even suggested using the Nexus 5, which by the way, is great hardware and price and availability and distribution support and accessories.
Which TBH, isn't terribly perceptive/visionary...
Because it's been explained many times in great detail,* why they didn't go the seemingly obvious route you're implying.

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
It even supports Ubuntu.
Define support. Have you actually used it, what works & what doesn't compared to the Sailfish port?
And last I heard, the N5 & one other device are now the only devices Canonical's actively porting to.

*odds are strong that you would've been present, or stumbled across it at least once

Last edited by jalyst; 2015-02-14 at 05:50. Reason: typo

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Yeah but, surely now you get why it's unreasonable to expect them to be going pace-for-pace with the cheapest Android vendors.
Did you see my post, a premium's unavoidable at this stage of the game...

At least now it's within striking distance of those other handsets you listed, which is a fair effort, all things considered.
i do accept that a premium is inevitable.
as long as jolla accept that the relative scale of that premium will determine whether they sell enough phones to be a viable business.... or not enough phones.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Lets face it, SailfishOS isn't ready for mainstream, so it would be plain dumb to go for mass production with a big partner.

It can mature in it's small niche it got right now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Android wasn't ready for mainstream when it 1st came out, I would say WP wasn't really either (although it was certainly less "buggy"), iOS was "ready", but t'was boring as all hell.
Android also had less "incubation time" (in a RW env) than what we've now had for Sailfish, certainly by Q4 of this year Sailfish would've had considerably more.

Last edited by jalyst; 2015-02-14 at 14:27.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Which TBH, isn't terribly perceptive/visionary...
Because it's been explained many times in great detail,* why they didn't go the seemingly obvious route you're implying.

And what are those reasons? I honestly don't know.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.