Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by myk View Post
I like superglue because it is easy to remove.
But if your phone is out of warranty and fails, its not likely to get repaired anyway. So why not try some epoxy resin, in the hope of making it last a bit longer?
Because if a job is worth doing it is worth doing properly and i never yet seen any epoxy on a pcb that lasted more than a few month especially with the heat generated inside the N900, so a waste of time and effort to take the easy way out.
Do the job properly and solder down the usb jacket either side after scraping away the paint on the pcb this way it will outlast the device for sure if done properly.

Originally Posted by davedickson View Post
Got an N900 back today, no marks etc so a good replacement.

One thing to note is Nokia send out replacements without a back cover and battery, so when you send your device back remember to remove them!

Cost me about £9 on ebay to replace the battery and back cover, because the people at the local repair centre (that gave me the freepost form) told me to send it back with the battery and cover!!!

If you are sending it back for repair (and actually want an N900 back) just hassle them till you get it!

they lied. it says on the website remove the battery and cover and any memory card in there

i cant beleave nokia think that an n8 is a fair replacment for n900 just shows how crap they are i had an n8 an its nothing compaired to n900 i hope mine doesnt go again this is my 3rd n900 other 2 had usb issues but this 1 is still going strong time to get a replacment i think just to keep in draw for an emergancy ...

Originally Posted by Megacrazy View Post
Hmmm if you look at the port carefully you can actually see the circuit board through the whole on top of the port (screen up). I've always feared these USB ports getting damaged and it seems like now I have a reason for it.
mi N900 ya tiene el puerto dañado, para poder cargar la bateria y accesar a la informacion es una verdadera problema. perdi la funcionabilidad del equipo.

Si me preguntan como se daño, ni idea, porque soy cuidadoso con ese telefono. Pero de que se daño no hay duda.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Finland
Well...I just got a call; they are sending me an E7 with 2 year warranty and everything. My father has an E7, and based on experiences both mine and his, my options are :
1) Try to complain and get an N900 as some have, though they already claimed that they had none left.
2) Sell E7, buy a used N900 or two.
3) Sell E7, go Android. Rooting is mostly a *****.

Meh...

Banned | Posts: 537 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ N900 LAND
Well mine broke so i sent it to Nokia, they then sent me a N8 brand new i called and said i wanted a e7 so a few days later i got the e7 A referb one and the menu button does not work so got back in touch they are now going to send out a new e7 in the box i hope it is not another referb makes me think we will all be given referb e7 in future.

mine broke too :@
is it easy to solder it somewhere or send it to nokia? does guarante cover it?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by panatha13 View Post
mine broke too :@
is it easy to solder it somewhere or send it to nokia? does guarante cover it?
The warranty will depend on where you are and when you bought it. Within the EU it's a 2-year warranty, most other places will be 1-year. If you're within warranty then you can return it to Nokia for replacement (they don't seem to offer repair for this issue). They've pretty much run out of N900s though, so you're likely to get an N8 (or E7 if you push) back instead.

Third-party repair will depend exactly how it's failed. If the port has just come loose then a repair should be fairly straightforward for someone with the right gear and level of expertise (I wouldn't recommend trying it yourself unless you're really skilled), but if it's torn off altogether then it'll probably be a lot more tricky (if not impossible).

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ FLORIDA
So heres my update......they are we're able to send me a Brand New N900 not refurbished....Im surprised they found one. They got me a tracking number which for some reason hadn't been done before. BUT i wish they would of gave me a diffrent device. I love the N900 and Maemo (even though) it isn't in production anymore can definitely become something GREAT. I wonder if you can port maemo over to the N9. Anyway, I'm looking to sell the N900 I'm receiving tomorrow which is covered under warranty and everything. I am willing to trade it to someone for the E7 or even the N8. I'll be able to give you the full package x2 which means you'll get the 2 sets of ables to connect it to the tv, 2 sets of USB cables 2 sets of cleaning cloths (lmao) 2x batteries (which is a PLUS) AND i'll even give you and WHITE N900 housing including the buttons, panel around keyboard & stylus w/magnet (all white). But inbox me and let me kno what you got if you're interested

my warranty ends on december. i will give it for repair at nokia on friday. i do not want another nokia phone. neither n8 or e7. can they force me to give me a different phone? has anybody take his money back?

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty