Poll: Are you getting a Pandora console?
Poll Options
Are you getting a Pandora console?

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Only? How about having a real software distribution.
They showed full-blown Ubuntu 8 running on it. If they don't want to implement an apt-get or whatever repository, I'm sure someone else will.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
what can you do with it out of the box? their website is intimidating, dont want to read it.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Only? How about having a real software distribution.
I have been waiting for a "REAL" software distribution for 3 years, one that comes with a "REAL" window manager. Is there one coming?

I bought my 770 in Jan 2005, I'll buy a n900 when it comes out. I think however Pandora project is more along the lines of a handheld computer, than nokia devices. Don't get me wrong Nokia has done a great job, but its apparent after three years the only way I get computer functionality on Nokia devices is to do it myself. (cdrom/dvd access, cd/dvd burner, gamepad, KDE (or a real window manager). I am looking for a full distribution on a hand held (pocketable handheld)

Like U2 says "But I still haven't found What I'm looking for"

I've had lots of fun trying though
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-10-02 at 12:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
I love the form factor and the overall design, but I won't get a Pandora because the keyboard layout would drive me mad.

There's enough space to have provided a decent keyboard, but the dissonance due to the spacebar position, the lack of a TAB somewhere near the Q, and the lack of BackSpace somewhere near the P, would drive me crazy very quickly as I move between this and other keyboards. The keyboard, for me, is the dealbreaker.

Ideally there would also be an HSPA radio, but I understand why this isn't going to happen. Last weekend I was in an HSPA coverage area for the first time, using my N800 over bluetooth with an HSPA phone, and it was like having a whole new tablet. The difference in usability between HSPA and GPRS or EDGE is game-changing. I'm looking forward to the N900.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
I'm interested, but I gotta focus. I already develop for Symbian OS, various Linuxes, and Maemo... I jumped at a Neo Freerunner, and now it's sitting around waiting for a real software infrastructure.

So I'll watch how Pandora evolves...

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by gisborne View Post
The only advantage the Nokias have is the camera, and they never used them properly.
bah, get one of those laptop cameras and attach it to the top of the pandora screen as needed

Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
I love the form factor and the overall design, but I won't get a Pandora because the keyboard layout would drive me mad.

There's enough space to have provided a decent keyboard, but the dissonance due to the spacebar position, the lack of a TAB somewhere near the Q, and the lack of BackSpace somewhere near the P, would drive me crazy very quickly as I move between this and other keyboards. The keyboard, for me, is the dealbreaker.....
Same here. The absence of a right shift key is another problem, but one that seems to be common with mini-keyboards.

Funny, I'm not exactly a loyal fan of the Internet Tablets, and the N810 keyboard is far from ideal. Despite that, the N810 still offers the best combination of pocketability and a (sort of) useable keyboard that I've found. I'm ready to jump ship when something more to my liking comes along, but so far, nothing has. And I had such great hopes for Pandora....

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i think the keyboard is designed for thumb typing, not touch typing.

as such the shift key may well be more of a temporary caps lock. that is, press shift then the letter you want, not hold shift while pressing the letter.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Of course the keyboard should be hackable as pleased I think. I am going to need ctrl, alt, and accented letters. At least, tab and esc and pgup and down are available as second functions. That is going to be a job for xmodmap?

Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
I want it bad but can't really afford another new toy right now.
That's my situation, too. I'd love to be able to drop the cash on it today, but with the holidays only two months away, I can't. I'll definitely order one, after my wallet recovers from Xmas. It will be a nice bonus that the software will be more mature, too, by then.

I have a GP2X and had fun with it. When I got bored with retro gaming, I picked up a N800 for media and internet. I'd been considering getting a Netbook to run a desktop distro, since I can't afford a typical UMPC. Then, the Pandora appeared.

Tags
pandora