Notices

Poll: Does the "generate" button cause the app to crash?
Poll Options
Does the "generate" button cause the app to crash?

Ah whoops, I thought /dev/video0 was front camera not back *hits self*
Yeah I'm getting a good feed now.
Also I'm getting a better quality stream using jpegenc than h264enc, but I need to know if it works on your PS3 before I implement into the app

I pretty much stuck with gstreamer because it was the only working solution on the phone using the tools I had (ff tools and mencoder caused continuous reboots and other problems, plus gstreamer's fairly lightweight(ish)).

I think the fancier shell magic is to use alternate standard file descriptor numbers and use /proc/self/fd/N after redirecting output accordingly. Also it dawns on me that there is no need for two scripts, I was just working on one and then the other. Initially doing an ssh root@my.phone.ip "./gsttest" |mplayer -
Could even do the socat in the same script with some clever semaphore with an environment variable or something. Anyway...
Not really sure what you mean with /proc/self/fd/N part. I'll have go at combining the scripts, but I'm probably still going to use socat since I don't know enough C yet to use the self-contained method (maybe in a later update).

For now your method seems very workable, and I'm gonna implement it in the next update (is that okay?)

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
You don't need my permission, but honestly this is a kludge I'm still trying to find good docs on gstreamer that don't assume you're writing code against their API. I want a list of workable recipes for encoding v4l2 in to clean DivX or mp4 files, so far I think I'm finding limitations in the gstreamer package, it lacks a bunch of codecs/libraries needed.

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
I think need to work out how to mux in linear PCM audio (fakeaudiosrc) and get the .avi container looking okay for the PS3 to accept it. I'm at work right now so can't check. If this works I might still be limited by the bitrate.

http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...filetypes.html

It maybe kludge, but it's the best damn looking kludge I've ever seen and what's more - it frickin works!

Also you might find a half-decent mp4 container in the gstreamer-bad plugins, but good luck compiling them on the device. The standard avimux seems to work well for the most part (not for 640x480 res though...).

I don't have a ps3 so I'm not really sure what I can do on my front...

Edit: Hmm... your method seems to mess with my menu system. I was planning on releasing an update today but it might take a bit longer to squeeze this in..

Edit2: screw it. I'm gonna release my update later today, and then factor in your script a day after once I've sorted out my menu. Two updates in one week, you lucky bastards

Last edited by tetris11_; 2011-06-20 at 15:53.

Okay so after 7 hours of trial and error I finally got the damn thing to build. I haven't slept, I haven't eaten, and its been pissing down with rain for the past week.

But it's done. I haven't implemented damion's hassle-free vlc method yet, but that will come in another update either tomorrow or the day after.

I hope you guys like the update, and g'nite.

The Following User Says Thank You to tetris11_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Moscow, Russia
Hmm... Latest version. Windows.
1) IP of my desktop, port 3000
2) VLC
3) ...
4) File generated. I send it to my PC via bluetooth
5) ...
6) ...
7) ...
8a) Hit 'Stream!' and receive message: "Please generate and send a new file, then stream"

Whats wrong?

The Following User Says Thank You to Angry Master Yoda For This Useful Post:
Ah no - that's my bad!
I forgot Windows doesn't use the "Send VLC sdp" button, and that's what tells the message to stop showing.

I'm going to release an update by thursday that will use a much more easier method of streaming to VLC (you won't need to generate anything), so please just wait it out until then.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Moscow, Russia
Thanks a lot. Waiting for update.

Originally Posted by tetris11_ View Post
Ah no - that's my bad!
I forgot Windows doesn't use the "Send VLC sdp" button, and that's what tells the message to stop showing.

I'm going to release an update by thursday that will use a much more easier method of streaming to VLC (you won't need to generate anything), so please just wait it out until then.
Same problem with recording to local file, the message also comes up and nothing is recorded until something is generated (which is not required).

The Following User Says Thank You to zerocool2k For This Useful Post:
Yep, me again - I fixed both problems last night but haven't released the update yet because I can't get audio to stream using the new (easier) VLC method.

Stay tuned

Tags
gstreamer, lets rock, video stream