Nokia Maps wasn't part of the deal with microsoft... http://readwrite.com/2013/09/03/what...ia-acquisition

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
This is in 2 days time, so I'm wondering if I need to worry about keeping my phone working? Especially given a scenario where I need to re-flash it at some point in the near future.

I'm fine losing basic contacts data that are synced (well it's mildly irritating but I'll live), but should I worry about the basic ability to do anything once it's freshly flashed and booted up 1st time if I do this in a few months? Will the store work so I can re-download the basic games I like?

Sorry if this is a bit of a repeat question but I've spent the last 30mins searching the forums for this thread, most threads have people just carrying on as normal.

I have a worrying feeling now that MS only care about winmo/lumia that without direct action by me by a deadline, I may reach a point where I can't flash/boot/install anything because I didn't prepare my n950 for community .deb repos or dual boot with the ability to dd off partition images as backup etc.

Any advice?

- Damion

PS I used to frequent these forums a couple of years back and worked on qemu-i386&wine on n900&n950 so had a better idea of what is going on, but got utterly bogged down with work. So I'm feeling quite lost at the moment.

Last edited by damion; 2014-12-03 at 10:10.

Microsoft: Opera Mobile Store will replace Nokia Store as the default app store for Nokia feature phones, Symbian and Nokia X smartphones (beginning from first quarter 2015).

Me: Can you tell me which store will host app contents for Nokia N9 Meego 1.3 Harmattan please?

Microsoft: As noted in the announcement, S40, S60, Nokia X, Symbian, and Asha will be supported going forward in the Opera Store. However, Meego (N9) will not be supported by Opera.

Me: So what do I do if I need to factory reset my N9 and reinstall my apps?

Microsoft: The N9 device will not be supported once the Nokia Store closes.

Do your reflash now or suffer sideloading Nokia apps later.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to alvian For This Useful Post:
i got the perfect phone from them and i almost copied all apps from store so... XD
Next im gonna backup all the maps so they can go for sure to ... XD

//AAAA, and im gonna keep my N9 until someone will port Cortana.

The Following User Says Thank You to youFailed For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
I think that people should consider this situation when thinking about buying the Nokia N1 - it is the very same Nokia that abandoned its customers for a ton of money from Microsoft.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Wasn't there a promise/contractual thing to support all older phones until 2016?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
I think that people should consider this situation when thinking about buying the Nokia N1 - it is the very same Nokia that abandoned its customers for a ton of money from Microsoft.
Past behaviour is always the best predictor of future behaviour.
What I wonder is everything in Finland like that ? Surely not ?
I mean, does every marriage in Finland dissolve after three years,
return the spouse and upgrade to version 2.1 hardware
before the warranty expires, etc ?
x
How is it that Nokia seems to be the flag-bearer for treachery ?
Did the people of intense betray-the-customer mindsets
just congregate inside the Nokia organization - for fun ?
x
Or did Nokia have some sort of recruitment campaign
years ago - send us your c.v. and summarize in 1000 words
and no more than seven paragraphs how -you- would
betray the market base profitably and mercilessly ?

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Wasn't there a promise/contractual thing to support all older phones until 2016?
Any source for that? Would be nice if they kept the store open as long as possible for the N9. N900 I don't recall ever using it.

We'll have to find time to backup debs before they shut it down of anything we have not on openrepos. Thank goodness for openrepos

I hope in the event Jolla goes out of business (hopelly not for many years) they have a more friendly community handoff.