Hi maemo talk,

I wonder if we can enable WiFi hotspot using infrastructure mode in N9?

Please vote this enhancement for N9 WiFi hotspot infrastructure mode : https://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1033

Last edited by soryuuha; 2012-03-01 at 17:11.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
not supported by hardware, adhoc is only supported.

The Following User Says Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 173 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
The kernel version is high enough to support the new generic 80211 wifi stack. It should be possible to run hostapd with driver=nl80211 as long as the latest compat-wifi backported wifi drivers are compiled in as a module (this means inception/openmode).

This is on my todo list, but I'm hella busy, so if you can interest somebody who can/has compiled their own kernels for the n9 then they'd probably be able to get this going quite quickly if this is possible.

Then there is NAT and being a dhcp daemon. NAT is also a module and thus a bit of a pain, in fact it might not even be possible as a straight module as I believe it needs a specifically chosen kernel option baked in, meaning openmode only. It's also not 100% necessary as almost all devices support using a proxy and you could install one in userspace along with dhcp daemon, both of which are trivial.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to damion For This Useful Post:
i really hope not to u se inception for infra mode...but since no package provided b nokia for hotsapd....urgh