Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ P town
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
A thumb version would be nice, but we needs be patient....
<OOT>
I am a little confuse, there is a thumb version of mce?
I thought to create a thumb version of a package, freemangordon need to recompile the package using Thumb2 instruction set.
How come he can create mce thumb version when he previously don't have the source code of mce?
</OOT>

Anyway, I installed this mce on my phone and found no error so far.

That's the big thing about - now, we *have* source code, thanks to jonwil, who reverse-engineered it.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
After re-read that post, I realized that I misread handaxe post.
Sorry, please ignore my previous post.

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Hi guys can someone tell me where i can find the original mce file? I want to go back because of a bug that makes it pretty unusable for me:
whenever the keyboard stays open and the display turns off because of the timer, the keyboard gets locked and can only be unlocked when touching the display.
When i am playing music in the car i let the keyboard open and can skip songs with the left + right keys or stop it via space. In the car i don't look at the phone where to click, now with the mce replacement i have to touch the display and look if i am still in the playing-window...
I also don't want to keep the display the whole time turned on. 10s timer is way enough..
Please fix it or upload someone the original mce.deb .

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Russe89 For This Useful Post:
With my day to day normal usage, there isn't any difference really... Haven't noticed any bug or anything else.
BTW I have thumb version of CSSU, it seems like there's a problem with it (or not) as I'm not sure

Originally Posted by Russe89 View Post
Please fix it or upload someone the original mce.deb .
Can't you download the original mce file from repo?
# apt-get install --reinstall -d mce

---edit---
It turn out that I still have it in my /var/cache/apt/archives.
Please find the original mce in the attachment
Attached Files
File Type: deb mce_1.8.126+0m5_armel.deb (229.9 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by sLumPia; 2013-11-19 at 08:57.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sLumPia For This Useful Post:
Actually, I'm not sure if I've installed it since the version is the same.. I did grep -i mce and it shows 1.8.126+0m5, same as the original mce provided above. There were errors when installing though..

CSSU-thumb user here.

Posts: 254 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
Now that we have source for MCE, does this change in any way:

(Though the LP5523 chip has 3 engines meant to control R, G, and B, the mce program exlusively uses engine3 for kbd backlight and so doesn't support pattern definitions for engine3. mce is closed source and thus this can't be fixed in any reasonable way. If mce were open, an alternative compatible format was possible:
http://wiki.maemo.org/LED_patterns

I admit to not really understanding exactly what is mean by "engines" and how the n900 hardware uses the keyboard LEDs with the LED hardware. Looking at the MCE source though, it appears the keyboard LED pattern is hardcoded... and there are 6 LEDs? Some hacking on MCE could give us control over those LEDs individually?

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
we already have control over the 6 kbd LEDs.
See
sudo gainroot;
sleep 5; stop mce; echo "disabled" >/sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-2/2-0032/engine3_mode; j=10; while [ ${j} -gt 0 ]; do j=$(( j-1 )); for i in $(seq 1 6); do echo "100" >/sys/class/leds/lp5523:kb${i}/brightness; sleep 2; echo "0" >/sys/class/leds/lp5523:kb${i}/brightness; done; done; start mce
(except of sudo gainroot, it's ONE line! Slide open kbd and then lock the screen immediately - during the initial "sleep 5" - after firing the line in xterm)

To understand what's this stuff about engines, try this instead:
sudo gainroot;
sleep 5; stop mce; j=10; while [ ${j} -gt 0 ]; do j=$(( j-1 )); for i in $(seq 1 6); do echo "100" >/sys/class/leds/lp5523:kb${i}/brightness; sleep 2; echo "0" >/sys/class/leds/lp5523:kb${i}/brightness; done; done; start mce
It's just missing the disabling of engine3 which we can't control as long as mce is running, so the kbd-dimming program you correctly spotted in mce is running all the time and dimming the LED in a fraction of one second after this shellscript turned it on. Even worse: mce is loading this program and starting it all the time (actually with every event like keypress etc)
That's what I called "abuse of a smart engine for stupid dimming" and suggested to rather let mce do it once in software than program engine3 to do it. Thus we could use all 3 engines for true rainbow color effects in indicator LED.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Summing it up and parsing into human-readable sentence - yes, it is possible since we have MCE source, but require some solid works of writing by clever coders, to make it usable for mass-consumption, without breaking any functionality.

Cheers,
/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Tags
cssu-mce, fremantle, hdtd thread, htdt detected