Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Hi,

I've been experiencing problems with the 3G Internet lately. What's happening:

1. If I connect to 2.5G network (I'm virtually never connected to the plain 2G network) everything works fine. It's slow but works
2. I switch to the 3G/3.5G network by the status menu applet
3. and connect to mobile Internet, then I'm first connected to the 3G network, then to the 3.5G network. I'm in the 3.5G network with a good signal. Everything works fine
4. After a while (< 1 min) I'm switched back to the 3G network. And from then, mobile Internet fails to work. `ping 208.67.222.222` has 100% packet loss although it used to have 100% received a while back. Reconnecting fixes temporarily (points 3 and 4 once again)

What might be the cause and how can it be fixed?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
You cannot stay at 3.5G (HSPA). This is controlled directly by the modem so that it's used only when needed (active transmission).

As for the packet loss... Mobile Internet generally sucks, regardless of country, provider and speed. I have days where I'm disconnected many times in a row and then weeks where the connection is maintained non-stop.

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Well, it must be just as you say. Today it works perfectly. Might it be something on the N900's side that it doesn't reconnect to 3.5G or would it be rather some problem on the service provider's side?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

i have days where only 2g works, others where only 3g works. using dual it sometimes doesn't switch to 3g. it really does depend on network that day.

reinob beat me to 3.5g info.

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Poland
Additionally, the timeout of 3.5G -> 3G drop is controlled by network provider's side. For example, in Poland, Aero2 BDI provider tries to drop to 3G every two seconds, while T-Mobile does so every nine.

You can force being in 3.5G constantly, by experimenting with ping and ping packet size. In the above example, T-Mobile require smallest possible ping every 8 seconds, while for Aero2 BDI, only 1KB-sized ping every 2 seconds guarantee staying on 3.5G.

The down side for mobile device is that, keeping 3.5G, you would get very (veeery) poor battery life. It taxes device with 300-400 mA current draw during usage. forcing 3.5G maxes sense on modems connected to desktops or, in some cases, laptops, though, as it ensures low pings (3G pings to common server - like, google - can get as high as 900 ms, 3.5G ones depends on provider and situation, but can be as low as 40 ms).

In your problem's example, everything seems to point a finger on provider being responsible for your problems. That is, if signal strength is decent.

Arien Stokowiec

Be sure to check Open Hardware backcover/body replacement gitorious page!
https://gitorious.org/fremantle-backcover-replacement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to backcover_press_service For This Useful Post: