Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Why DOES Nokia prefer to include such a terribly slow implementation on a product that was primarily intended to be an Internet device?
Gecko was the best thing available when they started work on MicroB, unfortunately its development soon sped ahead of Nokia after that. As for why they didn't ship a real update (which would improve the JS times by leaps and bounds), well, they had diverged a lot from trunk, were in the "fixes only" period and couldn't really manage going that unstable for Diablo.

Too bad, really, but what can you do? Thankfully upgrading the engine in the fully-opensource Fremantle MicroB should be a lot simpler.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Agreed, they worked with what they had at the time--but no, wait.. WebKit's been around for a LONG time now, hasn't it? hmmmm. And didn't they start out with Opera and switch to the gecko engine? Why didn't they do continue that trend on to webkit?
WebKit was a joke at the time they started work on MicroB. While it's certainly seen huge improvement since then, you're delusional if you think it's so much better than Gecko now that it would justify the time and costs that it would take to do another engine migration.

Besides, Nokia has plans for XULRunner and WebKit doesn't offer anything equivalent.

Whatever, I've been over all of this several times before. Trust me (or don't) when I say they have good reasons for doing things as they have.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
And yet... nothing for us with prior hardware. "Fixed in Fremantle"... might as well say that and be done with it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Just wait until Bundyo gets the ARM js optimizations & JIT added to Maemo Webkit. Zoom!
Good to hear the community are still supporting the hardware. Commercialy a company is unlikely to support anything past a year now. Look forward to jit in webkit, and maybe mer or similar to keep my n800 going longer term.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by neilj View Post
Good to hear the community are still supporting the hardware. Commercialy a company is unlikely to support anything past a year now.
I think that's one of those things that are popular to say but in reality is far from true. I can think of more devices I have that are older than a year and still receives updates (os/firmware/apps) than any that doesn't.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Well, I detest MicroB too (and hated it even more when they introduced browserd) and much prefer Tear with its webkit. Tear does really show what this hardware can do.

But Nokia could only work with what they had hardware-wise at the time, can't blame 'em for that. Won't argue with you about MicroB though.
But. MicroB is slow but shows virtually all webpages. Others like Tear are too beta (i.e it crashes at some webpages or does not display it properly). I did not see any browser running on a Nokia phone (e.g. 5800) which displays so many webpages properly. MicroB has a changeable user agent which allows you to see the full web pages of some sites which show only limited WAP content on phone browsers.
And I agree an internet device should be supplied with a faster browser.

Last edited by skatebiker; 2009-06-25 at 06:55.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Just wait until Bundyo gets the ARM js optimizations & JIT added to Maemo Webkit. Zoom!
Any word on when that might be? Tear is awesome as-is, but with Zoom!-ability, it would be even better. :P

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
ARM JIT only accelerates javascript and by only 15% so don't hold your breath - its not a priority at least for me. It has been only tested with the QT branch AFAIK but maybe that changed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
ARM JIT only accelerates javascript and by only 15% so don't hold your breath - its not a priority at least for me. It has been only tested with the QT branch AFAIK but maybe that changed.
a 15% JS improvement would still be a great help, but what we have is still good; I can wait, but I hope you do get around to it eventually. :P

Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
I think that's one of those things that are popular to say but in reality is far from true. I can think of more devices I have that are older than a year and still receives updates (os/firmware/apps) than any that doesn't.
You almost can't say that for the 770 or N810. Both were dropped in under 18 months. That's poor support in my opinion.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Sometimes I'm really happy that I'm 40+ now.

Not to care about things like speed differences in browsers is probably one of the benefits that come with age.

Tags
benchmark, browser, performance