Active Topics

So I was able to get deblet installed and working fine except for one thing...wireless. I can connect to my router, but my n800 never gets an IP address assigned. I tried running dhclient but no luck on getting an address.

I take it from reading other posts that some of you have gotten it working? If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Flecko View Post
So I was able to get deblet installed and working fine except for one thing...wireless. I can connect to my router, but my n800 never gets an IP address assigned. I tried running dhclient but no luck on getting an address.

I take it from reading other posts that some of you have gotten it working? If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks!
You can try doing manual configuration in /etc/network/interfaces (http://trac.tspre.org/projects/deble...ork/interfaces) and see how it works. It won't be shiny and easy to switch, but it should verify what is wrong with your connection.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
I don't know whats wrong with my setup but using /etc/network/interfaces OR the gnome-network-manager always kills my card. It will connect for a very brief time then it'll never work again till I reboot.

I have to setup /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf manually (info wpa_supplicant.conf).. and then run:
iwconfig wlan0 essid YourEssid
wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -B
dhclient wlan0

to watch wpa_supplicant you can open a new terminal and run "wpa_cli".. it should walk you through the handshake process and tell you when it's connected and all that.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

I wasnt able to make any progress by editing /etc/network/interfaces. It just tries to get a dhcp address when it boots up but never gets a valid response.

I take it that wireless in deblet just isnt quite there yet. No biggy, I can wait.

Thanks for the help!

Do you use WEP?

No. I have an open wireless router that doesn't broadcast its SSID.

My n800(running os2008,) Wii, Laptop, MythTV DVR, and various other devices have no problem connecting with the SSID not being broadcast.

Anyone else have this setup?

oh yeah... I also had problems connecting to an ssid that didn't broadcast.

Again...setting up wpa_supplicant.conf manually and adding scan_ssid 1 (i think thats right) should help.

But I don't hide it anymore since its extremely trivial and useless anyway. 2 seconds with most linux scanners will show the ssid..

But I can confirm I had problems with hidden ssid's.

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Northern DFW
Oh, I actually I think I may have had the same problem with hidden APs. I hadn't heard about the scan_ssid thing; I may give that a shot and then rehide my aps.

It's scan_ssid=1.. goes in the network = { } block.

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Interesting. I'll have to see about setting up a wpa_supplicant.conf then.

Is there a good resource for that? I'll google.

Tags
debian, deblet, wireless