Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
You may need to define a new access point for MMS; do a search for your carrier and MMS settings.
I did that. I tried AT&T's access points for both Android and Quick Messaging. No dice.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by Tigerroast View Post
I did that. I tried AT&T's access points for both Android and Quick Messaging. No dice.
Did you try these settings?
United States: AT&T Mobility

[Edit]
You have to be connected to "Appropriate for MMS" internet connection (it's auto-created by fMMS, but you need to connect to it manually before opening fMMS). Like you would be when your browsing the web on the N900. When the connection is established, load fMMS, then attempt to download the MMS message.

And, there is danger of your carrier deleting your MMS messages from their server when they are more than 12 days old.

And read the page here, just in case it helps you to troubleshoot something: http://wiki.maemo.org/MMS#Problems_receiving_MMS
[/Edit]

Best wishes.

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2014-12-17 at 00:51.

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
-The Lockscreen (or lack thereof)
Something that also surprised me was the initial lack of a lockscreen when the screen's turned off. I'd rather have one. So, I installed QtLockscreen, set a password, and...no dice. I'll get prompted for a password, but no lockscreen. I'm kind of stumped here.
Would you mind explaining what exactly you mean by lockscreen any why you think you need one?

When you use the slider to lock the screen and when the screen blanks automatically (after a defined period) it will lock, meaning you either use the slider again or the power-on button and swipe the ball. The idea here is to avoid accidental touch events.

You can also lock the device (power button, secure device) so that you need the lock code. The idea here is to securely lock the device (and it survives a reboot, obviously .

Is there any other option you need?

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Would you mind explaining what exactly you mean by lockscreen any why you think you need one?
That question is obviously up to the OP to answer but in case (s)he means the lock screen like on the N9 or Jolla, then thanks goodness it is not present on the N900. On all my phones before the N9, locking the screen followed by unlocking would bring me back exactly where I was before. The gratuitous introduction of the lock screen breaks this natural flow and does not provide anything useful in return.

Just my £0.02.

Yes, that's exactly what I was referring to, reinob. Thank you. Also, pichlo, that's an interesting way of looking at it. I never thought of the lockscreen as being obtrusive (although now that makes more sense; you'd want a "last line of defense" in case your phone's snatched).

I've been logged on, but not posting. Just doing a LOT of research on customizing my N900 through the wiki and threads. Two hardware mods have caught my eye: dual-battery setups and wireless charging.

I'm to the point where I'm so fed up with the battery life on the N900 that I'm willing to do anything to rectify that. Just using the device with modem+WiFi+GPS tuned off and screen brightness down is not getting me the same amount of use out of it as I did with my Samsung Flash with modem+WiFi on. The dual-battery setup seems to be the way to go for immediate benefits, but I'd rather wait on that until I get my Polarcell battery. I kinda like how the N900's sized right now, and I'm averse to making it any fatter.

If I'm pleased with the Polarcell, then I'm not gonna bother with a dual-battery setup anytime soon and start thinking about wireless charging. I haven't opened my phone to solder the USB port down yet, since the cable I'm using to charge the phone has smaller prongs than the Nokia charger. However, I'm aware that the surface-mounted port will wear out, so I'd like to get away from using it as a charging port. Besides, tossing the N900 on a plate to charge would be pretty nifty.

The Powermat method is close to what I'd wanna go for, considering it frees up the USB port while charging. I just don't wanna wreck the cover to do it. I presume that I wouldn't have to destroy the back cover to do it, but it'll decrease the efficiency of the charger. Nothing a powerful-enough plate won't solve.

Something I'd like to address again is the general slowness of the UI. Smoothness isn't the issue, but the animations are. I'm not sure if it's the transitions.ini (I have the Dscobsct transitions.ini via MaeModder), but I really dislike how long they take. Changing orientation (the worst one), going into the app menu, closing apps, going from one app to another, the animations are quite slow. OC'ing doesn't help, either.

If there's a way to speed up/replace/remove the animations, I'd really like to know.

And finally, Easy Debian is giving me problems. I tried to install the "v3e" image, and every time I let the installer run, the phone reboots. It did this for both the v3e image and Estel's image. I then downloaded the armel Wheezy image, put it in the phone, and extracted the image myself just to find out that I can't chroot into it with the scripts that come with Easy Debian. I'll leave it be for now, but I really do want the capabilities a Debian chroot offers.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...

Generally (first few minutes after starting up) the UI is fast and snappy. But, after some time, gui becomes slow (did I already mention that it's usual for me to miss a call, just because I neither hear nor see it, until it's missed already?).

I will need to bug-hunt. Maybe, it's hildon-desktop bug. Maybe, it's just tracker having too many images and videos to index. Make sure that you have the images you don't want indexed (in gallery), like map-tiles, put into "hidden" folder (like, ".maps"; dot means hidden in Linux).

Best wishes.

[Council] Q4 2014 Community Council Election Announcement

http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature <= copy and paste here

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94229

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1450445

http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Council/

I generally don't have that issue. The UI, at least for me, is consistant in speed throughout its uptime. I have multiple widgets active (current location, bluezwitch, recaller, WiFiswitcher, dataplan monitor, current IP address, email, tasks/events) and hw-acceleration enabled. I will sometimes OC to 900MHz if I'm going to be doing a lot of stuff and UC to 500MHz if not. Either way, I don't seem to be having that same issue you're having.

Oh helll... I am certainly not using any widgets. Plain shortcuts - yes. Multiple active widgets - no. They are active even when you are not looking at desktop, right?..

Wishing you best of luck.

Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Oh helll... I am certainly not using any widgets. Plain shortcuts - yes. Multiple active widgets - no. They are active even when you are not looking at desktop, right?..

Wishing you best of luck.
Yes. The Email widget checks for email every 5min, bluezwitch+recaller will be active when needed, dataplan monitor+IP widget are always active, and event/task widget will be active when I have tasks scheduled.

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Something I'd like to address again is the general slowness of the UI. Smoothness isn't the issue, but the animations are. I'm not sure if it's the transitions.ini (I have the Dscobsct transitions.ini via MaeModder), but I really dislike how long they take. Changing orientation (the worst one), going into the app menu, closing apps, going from one app to another, the animations are quite slow. OC'ing doesn't help, either.

If there's a way to speed up/replace/remove the animations, I'd really like to know.
Most of the animated transitions (which I seriously dislike) have a duration parameter, which is essentially independent of the CPU, so you can just reduce the duration ([speculation] some may cause troubles if set to zero so just set them to a small value[/speculation]).

And finally, Easy Debian is giving me problems. I tried to install the "v3e" image, and every time I let the installer run, the phone reboots. It did this for both the v3e image and Estel's image. I then downloaded the armel Wheezy image, put it in the phone, and extracted the image myself just to find out that I can't chroot into it with the scripts that come with Easy Debian. I'll leave it be for now, but I really do want the capabilities a Debian chroot offers.
The reboot is caused (most likely) by the watchdog. Basically the N900 is so busy writing to the eMMC that dmse gets no chance to kick the watchdog.

Watchdogs are for sissies. Enable R&D and continue as usual.

I've never used easy-debian or easy-chroot as-is. I always unpack the images (so the rootfs is just a directory in my /home or in a uSD card) and clean-up the mess the scripts do because they assume it's always an image. I don't run X clients in easy-debian, which simplifies the set-up a bit.