Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
Thanks for the reporting xman, really made me feel like I was there even though I wasn't.
Can you elaborate a little more on the texture? Rubber coating, special paint, dimpled metal? What does it remind you of?
I didn't talk much about this since I could feel it, however it seem to be mainly just paint. Chen had the phone from an earlier production and it was like night and day. I was surprised at how well it actually gripped.

One fellow that had the BB passport kinda of wanted a rubberized back. His BB was holding up very well given it age and him dropping it and using it everyday. In my experience though, I'm not a fan of rubberized things ... since the texture will change over time, it will wear off or because sticky and/or discolored.

I would add that I feel like its more grippy than the n900 with out any protective covers.

x

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
I just discovered this thread. Was also surprised to discover that I was registered on this forum and my browser actually rememberd my credentials. Lol. Turned out I joined in 2009 and have one post somewhere. Glad to see this thread is here with all the problems with the F(X) Tec forum.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Hook For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Originally Posted by netman View Post
... klinglerware allow me to cite their messages in a compilation of feedback aggregated from the event?
Of course!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
And here some Photos from Discord users since not all of you follow there, taken by leviathan3k:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...829_180213.jpg
This guy was pretty awesome uber fan geek! He has the gemini and many other keyboard devices.

Sadly his n900 has a broken usb, so he has moved on a long while ago. But mosen if you reach out to him and get some kind of contact in my pm inbox. I'll would offer to him my okay soldering skills to try to get it working again

x

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xman View Post
I didn't talk much about this since I could feel it, however it seem to be mainly just paint. Chen had the phone from an earlier production and it was like night and day. I was surprised at how well it actually gripped.

One fellow that had the BB passport kinda of wanted a rubberized back. His BB was holding up very well given it age and him dropping it and using it everyday. In my experience though, I'm not a fan of rubberized things ... since the texture will change over time, it will wear off or because sticky and/or discolored.

I would add that I feel like its more grippy than the n900 with out any protective covers.

x
I'm very happy they added some grip. That will help this device handle better and make it ergonomic. I'm a huge fan of soft touch finishes. I would say the most durable and grippy phone I ever had was the Kevlar coating on the back of my old Droid Razr M. Premium feeling, looks amazing and provided lots of grip.
I'm sure if you need more grip, you can Plasti dip or wrap it. Hopefully someone steps up to make skins for our phone

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by netman View Post
I figured I'll show my head here too since I keep reading the thread , and since I am here will xman and klinglerware allow me to cite their messages in a compilation of feedback aggregated from the event? (i'll add the answers from our friends over at discord and post here also)

And about the thread title... I AM ready!
No problem. I mean it was mostly all your questions heh.

x

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by xman View Post
But mosen if you reach out to him and get some kind of contact in my pm inbox. I'll would offer to him my okay soldering skills to try to get it working again
Very kind offer, very cool!
I forwarded and he considers.

Maybe only puny me but, i sincerely hope the soft-touch thingy has advanced over the last 10 years, because this is what my "premium" Audi soft-touch buttons age like
(symbolic picture but exact)

Looks like i finally found sth. to argue...
The surface i felt in Düsseldorf was not "change worthy" imo. Also all nokia phones with soft touch applications i own developed a greasy sticky awkward uncomfortable mess. ughh.
Fingers crossed they got it right. Please, convince me.
Any better experience with aging soft-touch on your side?

Last edited by mosen; 2019-08-30 at 18:04.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Very kind offer, very cool!
I forwarded and he considers.

Maybe only puny me but, i sincerely hope the soft-touch thingy has advanced over the last 10 years, because this is what my "premium" Audi soft-touch buttons age like
(symbolic picture but exact)

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/att...ps6b588b94.jpg

Looks like i finally found sth. to argue...
The surface i felt in Düsseldorf was not "change worthy" imo. Also all nokia phones with soft touch applications i own developed a greasy sticky awkward uncomfortable mess. ughh.
Fingers crossed they got it right. Please, convince me.
Any better experience with aging soft-touch on your side?
Galaxy s relay, desire Z and Nexus one. All soft touch phones I've owned personally and never had an issue with any of them.
Honestly I won't mind what the coating is as long I can wrap it myself. I hope someone makes a wrap.

I requested the team to possibly provide a skin instead of a case for preorders but I don't think the topic got enough traction when I brought it up.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
Galaxy s relay, desire Z and Nexus one.
Good News. Never had those.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
I also have similar experience as mosen. In long run, rubber coating wiill wear and become cloddy on the surface. Also breach of the surface makes it feel sticky and ugly. This happened to my Desire Z in few years.

But I'd still say that rubber coating is better than glass surface. For example my Oneplus X (w/ Sailfish), both sides of the phone feel like glass. You can use the phone as a spirit level; if the surface isn't completely even, the phone will slide and fall down The phone is way too slippery and only usable with rubber covers.

However I wouldn't be too excited about any covers on Pro1, because it's difficult or impossible to make proper wrapping to a slider phone. I mean, if you just need grip you can use a rubber backcover that covers only the keyboard part of the slider, but then it gives no protection if you drop the phone accidentally. And if you make a protecting cover like Otterbox for n900, it will greatly increase the thickness of the device so it won't fit to any pocket anymore...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit