Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
But even so I power its Symbian (and S40) up from time to time. Just for the fun of it!
Its N9500 has Symbian S80 and those menus are what I miss with N900. But I would be happy if Maemo, even only X-term, would run in N9500.

The Following User Says Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
2. One for everyday use and one waiting for Neo900 Bareboard. And I think I am only guy how had N950 before even seen N900.

Originally Posted by tcbl50 View Post
I'm surprised how clear and sharp the display is for a 2009 phone!

Excellent!
TFT-display is much better that those new OLED.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by ade View Post
Old sources do not work on Sailfish because they are probably QWidget based, which are no longer supported in recent Qt versions.
Whoa, what??? QML is fairly heavily oriented towards mobile use; it is still far easier to write serious desktop applications with Qt Widgets than with QML. And while the mobile computing world may be where all the action is today, I think a whole lot of us still spend a whole lot of our time at a desktop machine. The Qt Widgets system is not going anywhere; in fact, Qt is still actively supporting and upgrading it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Whoa, what??? QML is fairly heavily oriented towards mobile use; it is still far easier to write serious desktop applications with Qt Widgets than with QML. And while the mobile computing world may be where all the action is today, I think a whole lot of us still spend a whole lot of our time at a desktop machine. The Qt Widgets system is not going anywhere; in fact, Qt is still actively supporting and upgrading it.
You are right in the fact that it is still supported (I thought it was kind of frozen), but desktop frameworks like KDE are moving more and more to QML.That makes it also easier to port it to phones and tables.

I don't see why Qt Widgets would be easier for desktop apps than QML.There is not that much difference in devices apart from screen size and interaction. But I have not used QML in desktop apps, so and can't say for sure.

I don't know if you used QML already? Anyway, you will have that opportunity once your tablet arrives

The Following User Says Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
I don't see why Qt Widgets would be easier for desktop apps than QML.There is not that much difference in devices apart from screen size and interaction.
Well, for me, the biggie is that for mobile devices, most of the time people use them in short bursts, or in situations where it is inconvenient to sit down in front of a keyboard. As such, most mobile apps concentrate on having very simple interfaces (mostly touch related) for rather limited tasks. On a desktop machine however, you can take lots of time and use a variety of extravagant input devices.

QML is _great_ for creating a beautiful touch-based interface to an app. However, if you're trying to write a large application that involves complex interaction with the user, particularly if you want to use lots of different windows and lots of menus, buttons, and fields for interaction, the Widgets system still has the advantage in being able to quickly and easily setup and manage large, complex user interfaces. (And the widgets integrate much better with native Windows, OSX or Linux UIs than QML does.)

I don't know if you used QML already? Anyway, you will have that opportunity once your tablet arrives
Well, I did start to work on transitioning some of my existing code to QML, to make it ready for Sailfish for when I received my tablet. Which was scheduled to happen back in July... But for now, I've been working on other stuff. I'll come back to Sailfish when (if?) I can ever acquire a piece of hardware that actually runs the OS...

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 268 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Back to topic. I have one occasionally misbehaving N900. No USB-fixes (original USB-port is still working). Backplate and "pen" have been replaced with genuine spares. Running CSSU. Most likely to be replaced with Jolla + TOHKBD2 when the time comes.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
most of the time you can forget about "working straight out of the box".
That is exactly the problem!

On the N900, it Just Works™. It may not work optimally and may look ugly without some Hildonization, but it works, so you know right away that any effort you are going to make porting it is not going to be completely wasted.

On the Jolla, it Does Not Wok At All™. Not, "does not work well". Not, "looks ugly". No. Does. Not. Work. At All. So you may spend days or weeks trying to port it and all this time you have no idea if you are just wasting your time.

This is not just for porting old code. I am currently writing a new app for the N900 and thought I could build it for Jolla as well. No dice. It builds without problems and even runs, but is completely unusable. The screen rendering is completely off. I have very little time to spend on it, in the order of 1-2 hours per month. I could deal with some #ifs for Maemo and Sailfish but maintaining two completely different code bases with completely different paradigms - forget it.

Besides, I beg to differ on the whole QML business. QML is the spawn of the devil. Just like Glade was. Yes, it makes Sailfish patches easy but as a developer, letting my users fiddle with my application like that is the last thing I want to do. Out of the window goes any idea of security. Jolla must be slapping themselves for making it so easy.

Lastly, QML is a resource hog. No wonder that a mobile phone can hardly breathe with a whole 1GB RAM. One whole gigabyte! I have heard people ask, "how did the N900 manage with that little?" I ask, "what does Jolla do with that much?" QML? Thanks, but no thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Besides, I beg to differ on the whole QML business. QML is the spawn of the devil.
Seriously ?

Just like Glade was.
Well, can kinda agree about Glade there. ;-)

Yes, it makes Sailfish patches easy but as a developer, letting my users fiddle with my application like that is the last thing I want to do.
So your app is not open source or what ? You don't want others to contribute to your project to make it better ?

Out of the window goes any idea of security. Jolla must be slapping themselves for making it so easy.
Actually any piece of software where you can't independently review the source code (and also make sure the binary you have corresponds to the source code) should be considered insecure by default. Or do you mean something else ?

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
You are right about this. Especially security-wise.
BUT one example (I just found out by accident):
I have one online bank that now seems to use some newer/heavy JS. When they switched to that I could not do any banking anymore. Neither with N900, nor with N9 and also not with Jolla (all stock browser and all third-party). So I needed to switch on my tabl... [oops, not yet delivered and sure it wouldnt't work, too]. So start up desktop/laptop and waaaiit...
But then I just somehow disabled JS on desktop (NoScript) and I got the old web interface. Did the same (disable JS) on MicroB and the 6-year old beast is the only mobile allowing me to use that site!
I noticed heavy js stuff is also responsible of massive slowdowns.. (dialogs saying script not responding, etc..)
Now I'm playing this way and it seems old good microb will survive still for a while

The Following User Says Thank You to enne30 For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900 anonymous, nokia n900