Poll: Which NFP name(s) do you prefer?
Poll Options
Which NFP name(s) do you prefer?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Go ahead with the poll and I'm sure the Councillors will have to give it a second thought...I volunteer to bring it up at the next Council meeting if the poll is done and a popular choice is made...

They can be reasoned with; after all this is a community's decision not a select group's choice...

Okay this is done, please read the OP....
If anyone thinks the explanations for each candidate aren't correct please advise what to put.
Also advise whether you think I'm missing some names or whether you think some should be pulled.
In another 24hr (or less) I'll start the poll, please get the word out to more people now though.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-09-18 at 22:51.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Before the domain maemo.org was used, internettablettalk.com was the domain used by the Maemo community.
Maemo.org came first, obviously. Internettablettalk.com was (and still is) this forum, but the community is a lot more than that.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Ah, getting my "P's and Q's" confused, thanks for spotting that.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Hildon Foundation not (so) good...

here is why:
Hildon ≃ Heldon ≃ Seldon

who in the name of gawd (pun intended ) is... Seldon?!?
well, Hari Seldon is a key character from Azimov's Foundation serie of novels...
not the most common association, admittedly, but it takes only one post / article by some idiotic blogger pseudo-journalist to turn the Hildon Foundation into some sci-fi fantasy

wouldn't MaemoCommunity be a good one?
it is the continuation of Maemo by its Community after all

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
Hildon Foundation not (so) good...
here is why:
Hildon ≃ Heldon ≃ Seldon

well, Hari Seldon is a key character from Azimov's Foundation serie of novels...
not the most common association, admittedly, but it takes only one post / article by some idiotic blogger pseudo-journalist to turn the Hildon Foundation into some sci-fi fantasy

wouldn't MaemoCommunity be a good one?
it is the continuation of Maemo by its Community after all
"Mer something" and "The Aeolos Guild" are my personal preferred choices. "Hari Seldon" interpretation of "Hildon" name is not unwelcome by me; I have read whole Foundation series, by the way. There could be many different angles from which you can look at this association, and not all of them would be unfavourable for "Hildon Foundation".
It could be added that "hildon" is plural preterite tense of "hold; keep, maintain; retain" in Old Frisian.
Best wishes.

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
Hildon ≃ Heldon ≃ Seldon

This makes me think that those who 1) have friends 2) which don't know anything about Maemo & co, and 3) play party games with them, should try a session a "Broken telephone" a.k.a. "Chinese whispers" where the starting sentence is one of the candidate names for the NFP.
If you do, please report the results back

The Following User Says Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Athens Greece
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I'm very much in favor of "Hildon Foundation". It goes back to the roots of this community, it's a name that has a story to tell.

Any names made up now will sound like "Tizen" to me: yet another name only to hide where we're coming from. It wasn't all that bad, was it?
I agree but we could never have a convention in Paris.
Paris Hildon would be a terrible connotation....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to refugee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
"Hildon Foundation" might result in conflicts as there as already one: http://www.hildon.com/our-story/the-hildon-foundation/

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
"Hildon Foundation" might result in conflicts as there as already one: http://www.hildon.com/our-story/the-hildon-foundation/
This makes the poll all the more important so that we have back-up options available...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
I like the name TMO = Talk.MeR.org

The Following User Says Thank You to Jordi For This Useful Post:

Tags
libremobile.org, manemo-maelon, theaeolosguild!, vote mos!