Poll: Which NFP name(s) do you prefer?
Poll Options
Which NFP name(s) do you prefer?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
To clarify, this is ONLY about naming the Not-For-Profit entity that's being created.
It may or may not relate to what the site branding and domain name eventually is.
The latter is not up for consideration until after the transition to self-governed infra is complete.
Although a discussion can certainly commence in the meantime, best to start new thread though.
A lot of pages in this thread go totally off-track contemplating domain/site_name etc.
Please try to avoid continuing discussions along those lines....

Now that we have a whole bunch of suggestions I've activated the poll, below I've listed all the names & their rationale.
Let me know if there's one you're sure should be listed, it's too late now, but it might be useful for the site_name/domain debate.
I excluded some because there was no decent explanation, or it was just too corny/inappropriate.
Also, perhaps we should list the Pros/Cons for each, or perhaps just some more detail/background?
Either way, if you feel an entry needs more info. to fully appreciate it's suitability, please provide it.

The poll is multiple-choice, but ideally try to vote for no more than 3x, unless you're really unsure.
After you've picked one(s) you like & voted, please also post in the thread stating what you voted for.
If for whatever reason you prefer to remain anonymous, that's perfectly fine too.
After you've voted & posted, please also read the latest draft of the foundation's by-laws here.
Please carefully analyse them & share any ideas/concerns/criticisms you have in that thread.
In many ways, lending your powers of concentration in that thread takes priority over this one!

Hildon
This is the name of the UX/desktop used by iterations of Maemo prior to Harmattan.
It appears this name is also used by a least one NFP entity, so like 2 of the Aeolos names, there's some question over whether it can be used.

Aeris
This is Latin meaning "Wind", all the Maemo iterations were named after winds.
N.B. although not yet confirmed, like Hildon, Aeolus, & Eolos there's a good chance that there's a NFP or Co. already using this name.
That doesn't automatically mean it's not usable, but it's something that should weigh into your considerations.

InternetTablet
Before the domain talk.maemo.org was used, internettablettalk.com was the domain used for the forum.

Aeolos, Aeolus, Eolos, or Eolo
The latter 3 of these names are Latin/Greek/Spanish words for "God of all winds", the former is a made-up word derived from Eolos, "a" is added to mimic Maemo.
The significance of these names is that all the iterations of Maemo were named after Winds.
It's not yet clear whether Aeolus & Eolos can be used, as Aeolus is already used by at least one foundation, & Eolos by at least one company.
To avoid any accusations of "cheating", I will only list Aeolos in the poll....
If it gets the most votes then we investigate whether the latter 3 really can't be used, if they can't then we' stick with Aeolos, if they can then we set another poll

MOS
MOS = Maemo Operating Systems.

MeR-Community
MeR historically stands for Maemo "&" MeeGo Reconstructed/loaded/born, in that sense it's a unifying name, & still lots of historical linkages.
Maybe even MeR is free? Not sure if MeR org's foundation is called MeR? Must check with MeR advisory if it's okay to use.

Marineris
This is Latin for Mariner, it relates to the whole theme used by: MeR(French for Sea)/Nemo(Captain)/Jolla(dinghy or small sail boat).

TMO
Like InternetTabletTalk before it, a fundamental part (but by no means the sum-total) of the community has been the forum: talk.maemo.org.

FYDE or Free Your Device
Free Your DEvice, self-explanatory really...

Libre Mobile
Basis for this name is pretty obvious too...

Open Device/s
Again... pretty self-explanatory...

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-09-22 at 04:41. Reason: update/correction

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
As I suggested in the other thread, i think Aeolos Foundation is an appropriate name.

Aeolos is the god of winds in ancient Greek mythology. This is appropriate because it encompasses all the maemo iterations which were named after various winds. This way nobody will be left behind, and we get a nice sounding name.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Other than I don't know how to spell it. The meaning is great and suitable for this purpose, so another vote from me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kozzi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I'm very much in favor of "Hildon Foundation". It goes back to the roots of this community, it's a name that has a story to tell.

Any names made up now will sound like "Tizen" to me: yet another name only to hide where we're coming from. It wasn't all that bad, was it?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
We need to use something that's representative of all iterations, something that's inclusive & not divisive, that much is certain.
So far Aeolos best encapsulates that, and it ties in nicely with the naming convention used for every Maemo iteration.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-09-12 at 08:18.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
As I suggested in the other thread, i think Aeolos Foundation is an appropriate name.
Another vote from me. The name even includes and reminds the 'ae' sound from Maemo.

The Following User Says Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
What is a "NFP entity"?!?!? Just so that I would know what it is that requires a name.

Last edited by Rauha; 2012-09-03 at 15:47.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Not-for-profit

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foobar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
I'm not a big fan of Hildon foundation because the name Hildon already designate something, that is not inclusive of this community.
The issue with Aeolos is that it's another new abstract name, and there are already too many. (on the other hand, for a fresh start, it's probably for the best).
For the sake of the NFP name, both are ok in my view, but for a website or something, a more descriptive name would be better perhaps.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
The issue with Aeolos is that it's another new abstract name, and there are already too many.
...but for a website or something, a more descriptive name would be better perhaps.
That's a good point, I was never a huge fan of the weird Finnish/Greek mythology names, maybe we should break away totally from that naming convention?
At the risk of sounding dreadfully corny, how about Phoenix OS?* I'll give up right there, I'm useless at this kind of stuff!

*probably already used heaps in the sw world, I already vaguely recall a few things OTTOMH.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-09-03 at 15:59.

Tags
libremobile.org, manemo-maelon, theaeolosguild!, vote mos!