Active Topics

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Though what are the other pocketable computers? (around 4 inches). And with a SIM slot for data access? I haven't been keeping track of them and I only get my CES news from the tech blogs I subscribe to lol. It's interesting to hear about the bigger tablets (Microsoft, Apple, Google, etc..) but they aren't pocketable to me so that kinda ruins those for me.
Available today, with 3G, basically you're looking at the Viliv S5:

http://www.myviliv.com/usa/product/s5.asp

The UMID M1 is said to be available somewhere in the world with 3G but I've never seen that version in the US.

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
"Exactly why a proportion of the devices had the spontaneous reboot issue when not all do is a very good question. Interestingly, there was no report of this from the 300 preprodnuction"

well its more likely to be a slightly different component (probally diferent brand)- that has caused the rebooting- the problem is the driver that controls it not allowing for the tollerance in this probally only very slightly different component, the devices that reboot are later ones i think, not early ones.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
My slogan as of now is -- "N900: It's just a baby"

The point is, lots of people want to buy babies. They have a lot of potential, and people like to watch them grow up. And when they do grow up, they can do a lot. I can already do a lot with my N900, and I'm pretty sure I will never use my Palm Centro again. The N900 isn't just any baby, it's a prodigy.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
This is the funniest thread on t.m.o. at the moment.

Apart from that:

I used to have tablets. All of them. The 770, the N800, the N810. People said it wasn't cool they needed a phone and carry two devices. (I for my part thought that this was exactly what was cool about them, btw. That you needn't have them with you all the time.)

Now there's the N900 and people tell me it's cool that I don't need to carry two devices anymore, because the N900 is all in one. So while I don't care at all if it is a phone or not, I do expect it to replace my phone. That's the expectation. And as things are, it fails doing so. It fails miserably.

Now I still carry 2 devices with me, a real phone and my N900. The only difference is I can't tether the N900 to my phone any longer, so I need a second SIM card. Costs me €7 extra a month.

Bottom line:
It's meant to replace your current phone as the single device you carry with you. So it better be a good phone... or be a good whatever as long as it does everything the phone it replaces does.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Now I still carry 2 devices with me, a real phone and my N900. The only difference is I can't tether the N900 to my phone any longer, so I need a second SIM card. Costs me €7 extra a month.
Why? N900 won't make phone calls? What other features do you need from the phone and you don't have in N900?
(I'm not trolling, I'm really curious what else do you do with your phone)

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
It's meant to replace your current phone as the single device you carry with you. So it better be a good phone... or be a good whatever as long as it does everything the phone it replaces does.
Thank you.. thank you VERY much.. you've summarized my big beef with the N900 precisely. And then, even if it was an EXCELLENT phone, I'm not sure I want to experiment and hack around with the same phone I depend on to receive my work pages, texts and phone calls. It was stated elsewhere that it's incredible that Nokia hadn't also released an uncrippled (no radio) version for the rest of us that HAD been buying the Internet Tablets. With groaning and stomach churning disappointment, I agree wholeheartedly.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
My slogan as of now is -- "N900: It's just a baby"

The point is, lots of people want to buy babies. They have a lot of potential, and people like to watch them grow up. And when they do grow up, they can do a lot. I can already do a lot with my N900, and I'm pretty sure I will never use my Palm Centro again. The N900 isn't just any baby, it's a prodigy.
It's not a baby. It's a runt. It rides atop the previous experience in making tablets and manages to still fail miserably as either a reliable phone or as a successful tablet--I also understand that it does an incredibly successful job of functioning as a miserable GPS navigation unit too.

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
i have to carry another phone because the n900 doesnt last all day, i also prefer my iphone gps so i use it for that , and i also prfer the speediness of the emails on my iphone.

not because it cant take phone calls or txts, because it isnt as good as my other one at the newer things we need on our phone.

these devices allow me and many many others to save alot of money by not needing as much office staff, but they have to function well , or its all a waste of time.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR
Originally Posted by mysticrokks View Post
i have to carry another phone because the n900 doesnt last all day, i also prefer my iphone gps so i use it for that , and i also prfer the speediness of the emails on my iphone.

not because it cant take phone calls or txts, because it isnt as good as my other one at the newer things we need on our phone.

these devices allow me and many many others to save alot of money by not needing as much office staff, but they have to function well , or its all a waste of time.
Why carry a N900 then? What's the use of the N900 for you if your iPhone does it better?

Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
Available today, with 3G, basically you're looking at the Viliv S5:

http://www.myviliv.com/usa/product/s5.asp

The UMID M1 is said to be available somewhere in the world with 3G but I've never seen that version in the US.
Hmm pretty good, I would've bought that over the N900 (if I had known about it beforehand) if it had a hardware keyboard built in. But it appears that you could add one on with bluetooth or USB (if your sitting down) so at least you don't have to rely completly on touchscreen typing (it's fine for short things, but for me, anything over a paragraph needs to be done on a hard keyboard).

This is the funniest thread on t.m.o. at the moment.

Apart from that:

I used to have tablets. All of them. The 770, the N800, the N810. People said it wasn't cool they needed a phone and carry two devices. (I for my part thought that this was exactly what was cool about them, btw. That you needn't have them with you all the time.)

Now there's the N900 and people tell me it's cool that I don't need to carry two devices anymore, because the N900 is all in one. So while I don't care at all if it is a phone or not, I do expect it to replace my phone. That's the expectation. And as things are, it fails doing so. It fails miserably.

Bottom line:
For me it also replaced my phone. But I only used the phone to make or receive phone calls (same thing I can do on all my other computers and n800 thanks to Google Voice now). I wouldn't even bother with a voice plan (and just grab an internet only plan) if it weren't that on a family plan it's saving my gf (and future fiancee in 3 months ) money. Though I do miss the unique ringtone per caller (easily let me identify if it was family, friend, etc.). But seeing as how I route most of my calls through Google Voice it doesn't make a difference to me now since it would always generate the same ringtone if I ever do receive a phone call even if the N900 had that feature. But everyone's coming from different devices and different use cases (some iPhone, some BlackBerries, some Symbian phones, etc..).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-01-07 at 00:06.

Tags
communicator, computaphone!, foad abill, its a computer!, its a phone!