Notices

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Hi,
from time to time my root access via rootsh-commands 'sudo gainroot' and 'root'
breaks all of the sudden. I however allways can ssh into the phone as user or as root, so that i can reinstall rootsh.
But what might trigger this failure?
This also breaks many applications which rely on some sort of root access.

Right now i have the following packages installed, which could trigger some obvious root access: rootsh, sudo , openssh.
Are there more applications, that may give root access, that i could look for on my device?
Any input really welcome, i am worried that might happen again, when i have no ssh machine in reach.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Are your filesystems in a good state of health?

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
BTW, if you have the full OpenSSH package installed, you don't need an SSH capable machine to fix the issue: Just run "ssh root@localhost" in terminal, since the N900 should have both client and server installed. If you don't have the client installed, no reason not to.

The only problem I've ever had is the password for "sudo" breaking, but root and sudo gainroot still work, and I can just run the passwd command from there to change user's and root's passwords to something I can actually remember.

So I can't really help you with the main issue. On the other hand, now that you know you can SSH into the N900 from the N900 itself, hopefully the issue isn't as severe by itself.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
from time to time my root access via rootsh-commands 'sudo gainroot' and 'root' breaks all of the sudden.
Any error messages?

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post: