Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Hello everyone.

Mussogorsky is a splendid app for handling your music files. It has two purposes:

1.) You can edit the metadata of your song files
and
2.) You can pull down and assign album art to your albums beither by doing a manual search or by letting it pull them down automatically.

Now Mussogorsky isn't a very new piece of software, so I'm wondering what happened to this project?

I think this application is essential for anyone interested in keeping their music collection in decent shape, but it suffers from a certain rigidness.

Ideas of how to improve this app:

What is the search engine used for fetching the album art? It certainly isn't Google image search as it is quite inaccurate. It is also slow.

The automatic album art download has no "Completed" dialogue, intead it "gets stuck" on the last item in your album list until you cancel the search.

The UI suffers from being not too intuitive, or perhaps someone should set up a decent manual for this program.

Changing the metadata seldom actually works and again the UI is unintuitive.

Mussogorsky is a really handy app, but would someone be interested in developing it further? I can't find any trace about who's the dev behind this app. Maybe you guys can help me out with at least that?

The Following User Says Thank You to cjp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Wales
I agree, MussOrgsky needs a lot of improvement. Yes it gets the job done but try editing your music metadata when you have over 5000 songs.

I suggest a maybe a extended option in media player or file manager to edit the metadata.

I also suggest that there is an option to edit more than just the Artist name, Album name and track name. How about artist album and other basic song information.

Also I suggest a much better search function in MussOrsky if the first suggestion isn't doable.

Maybe instead of a list in MussOrksy of each and every song file. Maybe have it sorted into artist>album>song as it is in the media player and sort it by the current configuration of the metadata, so it would look the same as the default media player.

If it was done like that then you could edit the artwork at the same time instead of editing artwork then having to search for the file again under the metadata option to edit the information.

It would save time and efficiency considerably, in turn making a better app and more people downloading

Nokia N900 - Kernel V47 OC'd at 1.15mhz, CSSU, BleedingEdge, 64gb, H-E-N.

Need a ROM for an emulator on the N900? Then send me a message and Thank me in return.

If I help you somehow in a post then please press thanks next to it!

Message me @ Dale_Foster_1099@Hotmail.com
Xbox @ Pyro1099
Last.fm @ Pyro1099
Twitter @ Pyro1099

Last edited by Pyro1099; 2010-08-15 at 00:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pyro1099 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
The package
http://maemo.org/packages/view/mussorgsky/
was last updated on 2010-04-27
Its homepage is
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/mussorgsky
The email address of the developer is
ivan.frade no spam, please g mai1.con
(I hope you can correct the misprints which I introduced to run away from email-collecting spam bots)

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Well I sent an e-mail to that address.

Boy I hope he shows up.

Last edited by cjp; 2010-08-15 at 08:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to cjp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
yeah, i agree wit what you guys r thinking about the app!

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Aperture Science, Inc.
How do you edit the ID3 genre tag with mussorgsky? I can only see options for title, album and artist...

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Helsinki
Hi!

Here the author of Mussorgsky. Thanks for the interest and the list of improvements suggested in this thread! I am very glad to read your feedback and i am open to improve the application (or receive patches!).

Few explanations about the comments above:

1. "I also suggest that there is an option to edit more than just the Artist name, Album name and track name. How about artist album and other basic song information."

I added only the options that are useful in the default media player. Simplicity was always the goal of mussorgsky, so i avoid to fill the screen with combos and text fields.

Maybe Genre could be added, and song number (to get better sorting). "Artist album" is useless in the media player, and besides, there are also the tracker 0.6 limitations.

2. "better search function" [I guess you mean _inside_ the program] I did the search before it was available in the toolkit, and i implemented it only for one view (album-art). Implement it for the other view and/or use the toolkit-provided search is definitely something to do

3. How to show the songs: I couldn't come up with anything better than a list. The main point was to show/find the broken songs... The hierarchical approach (if i understood correctly your proposal) doesn't work on that case.

4. Edit the artwork with the metadata: it was like that in the 0.1 version (clicking in the image on the right of the edition screen) and i removed that because it could be confusing. It looks like you can choose a cover-art PER SONG, when it is only allowed PER ALBUM. I can put it back, no problem.

5. The search engine for cover art is BING. When i tried it was giving the best results, comparing with last.fm and google images (amazon service looks deprecated!?!).

We can a. change to a different engine (if it works better) b. offer the option in the UI. Again, simplicity here makes me prefer to choose one and go with it. An option is a potential bug

6. Not closing the "automatic download" dialog at the end is definitely a bug. Sorry about that.

7. "unintuitive UI". WOW! that hurts! I tried to keep it short and simple. Suggestions about the design and flow inside the app are very welcome. I cannot do better.

8. "Editing metadata seldom works": that was fixed some time ago and it should work. I use it every now and then without any problem. Start mussorgsky in a terminal, and open a bug /send me an email with the output there when it fails.

AND! finally my own ideas:

A. Nobody mentioned the lack of a "delete" button! If you run into a song you don't want, you need to find it again in the MP and remove it.

B. The "play" button is useful at all? Change it to "pause" when the music is playing is probably another detail to fix, but i guess nobody is really using it (which means nobody was editing songs copied from an ipod )

C. To choose an image from the filesystem as album-art is the greatest hit in my requests list.

I'll be pretty busy in the next month, but after that probably i'll do a new round of changes in Mussorgsky. Feel free to dig in the code, play with it, and send patches if you feel brave.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ifrade For This Useful Post:
Can you try to make Mussorgsky work with Instinctiv?? Have you ever heard of Instinctiv??? It's TIGHT!!! Better than the default media player.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=instinctiv

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Havant
How do I find out why Mussorgsky wont run on my N900.

I have so many tracks that need editing, but it just wont run.

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Seattle
Is there any possibilities of updates for this great app?? I've been waiting for the option to edit genres. In my opinion, this is the last bit needed. You shouldn't need anything else because the media player will not read anything else other than genre and track #. Thank you so much for this great app though it's really nice being able to edit on the go w/out a computer!!

Tags
albumart, improvement, mediaplayer, mussogorsky