Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Well.... it's no capacitive screen....

*dons flame ******ant suit*
*fires ice gun* =P

Though I do wonder how much of this is due to screen responsiveness, due to OS responsiveness, and due to how many background applications you have running.

It could be like the n800 when I have several applications running. In where it did register my press, but because the processor is so busy it just won't respond till it finishes whatever task (e.g. loading a URL in Tear while I have a PDF and other stuff opened). And then you'll get that effect where all the stuff then floods (kinda like in the old days of Windows where if you typed to fast in Word or whatever, nothing would be inputted into the word document but after a few seconds a flood of texts that you had typed comes). But in the n800's case it's a flood of screen presses + hardware keys that I pressed.

Well, we'll just have to wait and see..

*unfreezes ysss*

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 219 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
ive got the same concerns about the laggy screen.
not so much as the touches not registered but at the overall dropping of framerate and not-being-smoothness.

i've beginning to look at it this way: i've used all the windows'es available on my desktop, than i tried an apple computer. and i have also had linux installed (wasnt much more than an install though, tar.gz really didnt mean anything to me and so it was back to windows quite quick) but the thing was that from all these OS's linux was the most slim OS i used. by slim i mean as less fancy stuff, ram and cpu eating *****.

So when ill get my n900 and its laggy, i can only imagine how laggy the other OS's would be with the same possibilities, hardware, graphics etc.

relativation my man, relativation is the key.. the key to the chest in super mario bros 3 (most left chest usually contains the flute)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r0eladn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
there are too many variables stopping to draw any conclusions objectively enough from a youtube-video.

bit like speculating delivery dates with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu_moia-oVI

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 219 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
i am so in love with this forum

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to r0eladn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JayBomb999 View Post
There were several new demo videos from CTIA today and after watching them all, it seems like the screen responsiveness and UI lag have gotten worse since the demos around Nokia World.

Starting to lose confidence.
Please dont lose confidence. In that demo, about 11 applications were running in the background. The demoer was showing off the multitasking power of the N900.

Originally Posted by JayBomb999 View Post
I completely understand lag with many applications open.

However, I've seen the same herky, jerky transitions in nearly ever video regardless of the amount of apps open. It's not necessarily a deal breaker, but I think the compositing has lots of room for improvement.

Am I wrong to crave Palm Pre-like fluidity given they have similar hardware?
Not at all. If webOS can then Maemo should do even better IMHO.

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
I have had a ton of problems with compositing on desktop Linux so am very impressed with what I have seen of the N900.

Heck, right now Firefox is doing the "stall as you type then catch up" on a Core 2 Duo 3.2Ghz WITHOUT compositing turned on. It doesn't do it all the time, but it just goes to show that even modern hardware has the same old problems sometimes. It just takes one process to steal too much RAM or CPU cycles to bring the whole experience down. And its not like Nokia have the best track record of initial retail firmware being fast, efficient and stable is it? The N900 it seems is being rushed to market, but I feel it will be above average when its released and get even better over time as it gets optimised.

Besides, its pointless worrying until we actually have the device in our hands.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
*fires ice gun* =P

Though I do wonder how much of this is due to screen responsiveness, due to OS responsiveness, and due to how many background applications you have running.

It could be like the n800 when I have several applications running. In where it did register my press, but because the processor is so busy it just won't respond till it finishes whatever task (e.g. loading a URL in Tear while I have a PDF and other stuff opened). And then you'll get that effect where all the stuff then floods (kinda like in the old days of Windows where if you typed to fast in Word or whatever, nothing would be inputted into the word document but after a few seconds a flood of texts that you had typed comes). But in the n800's case it's a flood of screen presses + hardware keys that I pressed.

Well, we'll just have to wait and see..

*unfreezes ysss*
lol

yeah, you're right.. i got that problem too with my old iphone but the 3gs has effectively 'cured' the lag with the cortex a8 so, even though maemo drives it harder on the n900 with all the heavy multitasking capability, i'm sure it'll cope just fine after proper optimizations.

I think the lags may be caused largely from swapdisk read\writes.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
They've made it harder to scratch? The review from the MySymbian said the screen was easy to scratch..
Yes, he said so. And he also said that he did not have a final device. So what does the above tell us then? Nothing.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Oh, I remember seeing pictures of the back of the N900's screen of Eldar's device and the one from MySymbian review. The one from My-Symbian is most definitely an earlier prototype (a few small squares embossed along the edges of the screen's back) while eldar's look the same as pictures of the final device (h-like design embossed on the back).
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!