Posts: 87 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Well, they'll be hard pressed to support it less than the N900. Unless of course it it's bug ridden when launched, which seems all too likely.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
For the record, I suggested a hot-swappable battery way before the N900 was born. We had one of those superlong threads about the N900 and there was never a sign that Nokia even read it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Ah, hot swappable would be nice. But not being swappable at all, like, say the N8... or iToy.

Posts: 88 | Thanked: 411 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ southern Italy
Originally Posted by shady View Post
i would LOVE to build my own device, somehow i would like for it to be like building a PC, the problem is that the enclosure and size of the device could be prohibitive, still if i could make the components or at least source them accordingly, i would make this for us; the forgotten:

QWERTY: Dust/Grease Resistant Keys
SEAL DEVICE exactly like high end DSLR's
TI OMAP44xx / Intel Medfield (Pewell)
PowerVR SGX554MP4
2xTHGBM2T0DBFBAIF (Toshiba 128GB NAND, 256GB Total Internal)
2GB RAM (not shared & DDR3)
HDMI-TypeD (able to stream audio, up to and including DSD)
microUSB 3.0
MicroSHXC UHS-1
1xCDCE949 TI Programmable Clock Synthesizer
TLV320DAC3100 32bit DAC (high end isolated audio circuit, LOW noise filter, 4 outputs 1 per amp)
4xOPA637SM or comparable (4ch bal. dependent on output (spdif) configuration (L(+/-) R(+/-)))
Combination LINE/SPDIF out (NOT a headphone out)
NATIVE Codec Support: AVI, WMV, ASF, MP4, MKV, MPG, DAT, TS, TP, TRP, 3GP, DivX, Xvid, H.264, WMV, 7/8/9, MPEG 1, MP3, WMA, OGG, PCM and FLAC
NO POST CONVERSION
WiFi-B.G.N
4.0" CBD OLED 1268*720@24bit screen ~2ms
10.1MPx Back Illuminated (720p@120fps: able to be displayed natively on the device)
2100mAh Battery
GSM 850/900/1800/1900
HSDPA 850/900/1700/1900/2100
HSPA+ 42Mbps
Compass/Magnetometer, 6xGyro, Accelerometer, GPS/AGPS, FM Transmitter
Simultaneous bit-stream across ALL digital outputs, user configurable.
MeeGo.Harm 1.1 or MeeGo 1.2

and yes, there are a BUNCH of things missing, but this is just a wish list.

One of the most nice features of this forum is the Talking Bug, that is, the Talking Big of some users.

I'm a happy N900 user for 12+ months now, and my next phone will be an N900 (not only because I don't want to familiarize with a new GUI every time I buy a phone).

QWERTY: I did never have problems. What do you mean by "dust/grease resistant"? I would have my entire home furniture to be dust/grease resistant.

SEAL DEVICE: you seem to ignore that blocking even the last bit of airflow eases overheating.

OMAP44xx or MEDFIELD: yes, a bit of extra computing power is always welcome. But it has a price (money and battery and possible hardware/software problems). Did you overclock your N900, didn't you? What about 1150MHz vs 600MHz? Did the "almost doubling" double your "user experience"?

SGX554MP4: please, first let's talk about drivers and usage, then let's talk about GPUs. 99% of software ignores 2D/3D acceleration.

128-256Gb: I stored my entire MP3 collection on the N900 and still have some gigabytes for placing movies and anime (which I delete after watching: do I actually need already-seen movies on my phone every day?)

HDMI, DACs, SPDIF: how many times in a day you *need* video output capabilities from the N900?

MicroUSB 3.0: how many times in a day you *need* USB3 peripherals?

MicroSHXC UHS-1: how many N900 owners bought a microSD to enlarge those 32Gb internal flash?

Wifi-N, HSPA+: what is the medium file size that you transfer on your N900 (except for movies)?

Screen resolution: did you ever feel that 800 horizontal pixels are way too little? Are you able to distinguish between two consecutive pixels?

Stop, stop, stop.

The only problem with the N900 is that the 256Mb RAM are good only until you don't install memory-hungry software.

Most people will like a better battery. Not surprisingly, I am very happy with the standard battery. How much time are you far from an USB port? In my everyday life -work or holiday- I'm never far from an USB port or USB charger more than a few hours.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alfmar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
i AM often away from usb ports...
cause i use my n900 at places "as a pc" where i even dont have a subnote, f.e. when with the boat. or in the garage. or at my relatives. or or or...
i often load the battery in my car when i drive to such places. but it would be really fine to be sure that one can use(!) the n900 for more than 4 hours before battery goes low.
And when battery is low, the n900 refuses some times to load in the car or even at home - so a low battery is a really annoying thing.

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Munich, Germany
[QUOTE=SirTurbo;957188]
I started to uese a solar powered charger: brand name: Solar Mobile Phone Charger (?, not very telling I agree). You can use this one as an extra battery and charge it from the laptop

Originally Posted by alfmar View Post
SEAL DEVICE: you seem to ignore that blocking even the last bit of airflow eases overheating.
a rugged device is a must for many people. just because YOU don't want doesn't mean others need it.

OMAP44xx or MEDFIELD: yes, a bit of extra computing power is always welcome. But it has a price (money and battery and possible hardware/software problems). Did you overclock your N900, didn't you? What about 1150MHz vs 600MHz? Did the "almost doubling" double your "user experience"?
yes. let's not use better and newer components, with that mentality your N900 could have a 1Mhz cpu. There's a reason why manufacturers actually improve the devices with more computing power.

128-256Gb: I stored my entire MP3 collection on the N900 and still have some gigabytes for placing movies and anime (which I delete after watching: do I actually need already-seen movies on my phone every day?)
My entire MP3 collection has 372Gb. Just because your collection is small doesn't mean others want more storage. Also if you don't need movies others will want that.

HDMI, DACs, SPDIF: how many times in a day you *need* video output capabilities from the N900?
4 times a day for me. I want that capability. I'm sure many others want it too.

MicroUSB 3.0: how many times in a day you *need* USB3 peripherals?
at least 3 times a day. work related.

MicroSHXC UHS-1: how many N900 owners bought a microSD to enlarge those 32Gb internal flash?
I've 2 32gb micro sdhc plus 2 16gb sdhc.

Wifi-N, HSPA+: what is the medium file size that you transfer on your N900 (except for movies)?
6mb, often transferring +100 files.

STOP. don't be narrowminded. just because you don't need doesn't mean others want. If we all acted like you we would still have black and white TV's and 286 cpus.
Stick with your N900. Me and many others will buy the N950. don't rant about it.

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Yeah, just put in everything you can for abou 600 € and ill buy it.
N900 is great. A redesigned N900 may be better if nokia doesnt loose any features (like the HW Keyboard and the Stylus (i know, its not the latest fashion to use this, but it realy allows good browsing experience and stuff)
The next device should have a native USB-Host. But thats all i miss.

Edit: Who is responsible for this nice Tags crushing my wet dreams?

Posts: 302 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by __-_-_-__ View Post
a rugged device is a must for many people. just because YOU don't want doesn't mean others need it.
It wasn't that he didn't need it. He pointed out the justification that having a completely seal and 'rugged' device would be very hard to implement as it would cause internal problems such as over heating.

Your entire list is asking too much in my opinion. You seem to forget the limitations of building an embedded device and love buzzwords and want the biggest, fastest things and claiming "SHUT UR FAEC, EVERY1 WANTS A 34753498256Ghz, USB3, 10Tb, DESTRUCTION PROOF, MAGIC PHONE. I WILL BUY IT. IT R THE FUTURE, LUDDITES."

Tags
stop dreaming, willneverhappen