its a mobile computer with phone capabilities enough said.

The Following User Says Thank You to snuski For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
what i know is its the FIRST device with both telephony and computer capabilities, that i messed up and flashed 3 times at un-boxing day,.

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

The Following User Says Thank You to gabby131 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
what i know is its the FIRST device with both telephony and computer capabilities, that i messed up and flashed 3 times at un-boxing day,.
what the?????

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by snuski View Post
what the?????
yup! you're reading that right.......

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Posts: 511 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Trinidad and Tobago
It's a mobile computer no justification needed.

I miss my N900
Hello DELL Venue Pro Mango
Listen to my music >>> www.reverbnation.com/rrule

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
I agree that it is probable that some people (everyday Joes) prefer their computers to run and work without tinkering with configuration files, to install paid and polished applications instead of free and beta/alpha ones....
That has nothing to do with one another really. A truly open platform can have a user friendly framework on top of it to cater to non technical users and an appstore to create an app marketplace too while giving free access to its underlying frameworks for those who need that.

But I don't consider it to be a good thing, and I hope that everybody, even everyday Joe, wants to own his device fully and tinker with it,
I don't get this. What if your car mechanic\oven repairmen\plumber tells you to start liking his craft, which you have no interest whatsoever toward?

rather than lease it from Nokia and conform to all its rules and limitations until a next device comes out to replace the old one.
Heh, that's the same old song. Unless there's a better solution than DRM, then that's what the e-commerce crowd will have to make do with for the time being. The idealists may bicker all day long and give out 1001 "what ifs...", but as long as there's no better DRM implementation, then that's what's going to be used by 'the industry'. (And the 'underground scene' will go on too).
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2010-11-24 at 11:24.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
That has nothing to do with one another really. A truly open platform can have a user friendly framework on top of it to cater to non technical users and an appstore to create an app marketplace too while giving free access to its underlying frameworks for those who need that.

I don't get this. What if your car mechanic\oven repairmen\plumber tells you to start liking his craft, which you have no interest whatsoever toward?

Heh, that's the same old song. Unless there's a better solution than DRM, then that's what the e-commerce crowd will have to make do with for the time being. The idealists may bicker all day long and give out 1001 "what ifs...", but as long as there's no better DRM implementation, then that's what's going to be used by 'the industry'. (And the 'underground scene' will go on too).
I don't mean that everybody has to use command-line, root, over-clocking, Easy Debian, Ubuntu, etc.

I just mean that nobody should be glad to limit itself:
1. In choice of apps - to one store;
2. in frequency band - to subset of device capabilities;
3. in bugs fixing - to vendor updates,
etc.

I don't understand how DRM is related to N900. Could you explain it, please?

I just see that Nokia wanted people to use Ovi Store (put shortcut to it into launcher), but people find and use other repositories; Nokia crippled apt-get, and people use aptitude when needed; Nokia limited FM accordingly to country, and developers unlocked it (and potentially usage of external antenna); Nokia has, thankfully, open-source hildon-desktop, and people use the most recent (better than PR1.3) version of it, sometimes modified; etc.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
3. Vendor update should still be the #1 channel for bug fixes. This ties in to their warranty and chain of accountability. It's even more absurd if you have to rely to 3rd party when the vendor is underperforming.
I just mean that in this particular case with open-source programs vendor doesn't bother itself to compile the most recent version of code so others compile and modify it as they want.

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2010-11-24 at 20:31.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
I don't mean that everybody has to use command-line, root, over-clocking, Easy Debian, Ubuntu, etc.

I just mean that nobody should be glad to limit itself:
1. In choice of apps - to one store;
2. in frequency band - to subset of device capabilities;
3. in bugs fixing - to vendor updates,
etc.
1. They will probably just care about 'what are available?' and 'how much?' at this point.
2. Frequency band? You mean for FM radio? What does that have to do with smartphones/mobile computers though...
3. Vendor update should still be the #1 channel for bug fixes. This ties in to their warranty and chain of accountability. It's even more absurd if you have to rely to 3rd party when the vendor is underperforming.

I don't understand how DRM is related to N900. Could you explain it, please?
I misunderstood your point above.

I just see that Nokia wanted people to use Ovi Store (put shortcut to it into launcher), but people find and use other repositories; Nokia crippled apt-get, and people use aptitude when needed; Nokia limited FM accordingly to country, and developers unlocked it (and potentially usage of external antenna); Nokia has, thankfully, open-source hildon-desktop, and people use the most recent (better than PR1.3) version of it, sometimes modified; etc.
Sure, I get that the n900 is a good device in its own way; but it's a very limited market and definitely not for general consumption. You can't expect Joe Public to appreciate n900 the same way we do and get mad if they don't.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 82 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK, England
Who is it upto to decide what it is the creators or the people?

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
My pocket computer is Dell Axim x50 Pocket PC from 6 years ago, was half the price of the N900, is more powerful at computing. Came with a 624 MHz chip and had a word processor that worked. Contacts worked. I turn it on and it works, I load software and they run, I plug it in and it charges, I play games and they don't crash. There are games, I can go online and buy games and software for it. (even today) and it multitasks.

My N900 struggles with all of the above (yes even the turning on)

The N900 is either a bad phone, with other features or a really low powered and poorly performing pocket computer.
The X50 is a powerfull device even compared to todays Smartphones. I have an X50v myself.
But to get a Browser that works, you need to spend howmuch? 15 Euro? Mine didnt come with a Wordprocessor that worked, another 15 Euro. Yes, you can BUY software for it. But to get the Software a modern Smartphone has you need to spend a lot of money.
I dondt know the current situation, but the first 3 Years i had it (bought it 2004 or 2005) every pice of software you needed you had to buy. Im not talking about fancy glancy games here, but Word, Browser etc. There was this default-MS browser on it wich couldnt even handle Frames. WTF?

I plug it in and it charges,
Yeah, you got a point there. N900 has some serious issues with charging.

And there is this wide conection ability of the Axim. It has Standart-SD slot and CF slot. No built-in Modem, though. But i carry a Phone together with my N900 anyway, so that doesnt count.

But the exessive Multitasking i do on my N900 would bring my Axim down. Ok, mine is overclocked. But it is seriously faster than the Axim I would say. And the Software the Axim was delivered originally had its issues to. I remember mine having serious trouble with Bluetooth. But maybe i should just invest the Money and update mine to current OS (still runs with this WinCE thingie, i think there was an Update to another Version of Win Mobil) and see how it performs compared to the N900. Especially with things like fast-multitabbed-internet-browsing, wich is one of the Key-qualifications i search in such a device. The N900 has not quite the Power to satisfy me there, but even on my QX9650 with 8GB Ram I sometimes get annoyed because it gets slow on the 'net (slow is defined by "i have to wait after i click"), so maybe i do expect a little bit to much there and should better search my mobile Device some 50 Years in the Future.

Who is it upto to decide what it is the creators or the people?
The Creators decide what it is. The People decide how it performs it the Area it was designed for and maybe how it performs in areas it was not mainly designed for. The NXXX series are Tablets, so thats their main Area. The N900 has built-in Modem wich can be used as a phone. So thats secondary.
N900 has also a good shape & weight to throw it at people, but i think that doesnt count as a function at all.
And it still hasnt a built-in deathray function (or at least noone has unlocked it so far), so the creators obviously didnt want to built a killing device.

Last edited by ChoMar; 2010-11-25 at 13:16.

Tags
communicator, computaphone!, foad abill, its a computer!, its a phone!