its a phone.

compared to a netbook, laptop or ipad its a phone.

whats the point of this debate anyway? nokia make phones.....

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ void
It's a phone when I use it to make calls and sms.
It's a computer when I use it for web browsing, running linux apps, SSH-ing, VNC-ing, and debian-ing, and perhaps also hacking it a bit
It's a portable hard drive.
It's a ebook reader when I use it to read ebooks and edocs and enewspaper and comic strips
It's a gaming console when I use it to play FreeCiv, Battle of Westnoth, Heroes of Might and Magic II, Angband ....
It's a great notepad when I use Conboy to jot down quick notes or brainstorm or write journals.
It's a great organizer when I use it to organize my life with mGSD (and soon tbGTD) and expense with Siggy.
It's a good digital camera when I use it to take snapshots and shoot short videos.
It's a good portable media player when I use it to listen to music or radio and watch movies.
It's a workng alarm.
It's a funny remote controller.
It's a handy torch.
It's a paperweight (some day) or a brick (if I would lose control).

Conclusion: it's more than the sum of a phone and a computer.

The Following User Says Thank You to 009N For This Useful Post:
Posts: 91 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
nokia make phones
yeah, sony does that too. But a Sony Alpha isnt a phone.
Siemes did build mobiles too. They also did built trains and even nuclear power plants. I wouldnt say that a nuclear power plant is a phone or vice versa just because of the vendor.
And the previous tablets by nokia didnt have any phone-function. So discussing this point is ok.

It's a multimedia multinetwork Pocket PC. Just like most Windows Mobile Professional devices.

It's not a smartphone which usually lack a keyboard and touchscreen, but at least offer some functional hardware keys (except for the iPhone).

I'd call the ones without true mobile networking (N770 etc.) PDAs rather than Tablets, I think a tablet shouldn't be able to fit in your pocket. Windows XP tablet edition already is 10 years old, so I don't really get the tablet craze recently.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
The only thing that can desribe the N900 is a disaster from day one and that is all it can be described as.

It has brought many an argument and hairy disscusion within these forum walls that echo one thing only, a piece of development history that went wrong.

I use my N900 mainly as a flashlight, alarm, ruler, web browser, ssh client...You can't say it is a phone or it is a computer. It is a little box with a lot of things packed into it (phone and computer being two of them!)

Tags
communicator, computaphone!, foad abill, its a computer!, its a phone!