guys.. it is dangerous to our n900 that we always turn to overclock?? because some patch here was set to overclock.. just a question..

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
sure is, it might blow up and kill everyone within a 10 mile radius!

BEWARE!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, UK
Most likely no negative effects. Just don't use it overclocked on a packed bus, just to be on the safe side :P

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fasza2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by F2thaK View Post
sure is, it might blow up and kill everyone within a 10 mile radius!

BEWARE!
Lol what are you overclocking? a phone a PC or a nuclear guided missile with an arm chip used for running the guidance device?

The Following User Says Thank You to Radicalz38 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 64 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Petrolina, Brazil
Yes it is, but only for your phone.
You can frie your processor, or not =)
Depends on how you do it, and depends on your phone too.
See my case, i never had a problem with overclock (not mentioning crashes and freezes, but it doesnt happen everytime).
Newer Power Kernels are very stable and crashes decreased significantly (bit this is MY case).
Some phones never run well with overclock, other ones even stock...
My phone is overclocked almost since i have it (about 1,5 year ago) and today itīs better than ever, with CPU Speed and Battery tweaks.
By default, it starts with 805Mhz, but when i want more, is too easy to change to 1000Mhz for a while.
So, i say you can try overclock, but pay attention on the tutorials and read carefully. Make each procedure as it says. And at every different behavior you notice, let the community know.
But, it is YOUR resposability. Do if you want to.

=)

Last edited by trigaum; 2011-10-14 at 04:54.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trigaum For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fasza2 View Post
Most likely no negative effects. Just don't use it overclocked on a packed bus, just to be on the safe side :P
sir what on the safe side???

Originally Posted by fasza2 View Post
sir what on the safe side??? someone says it not safe when you overclocked when not in use but in battery patch it sleep when idle..

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Masoi View Post
sir what on the safe side??? someone says it not safe when you overclocked when not in use but in battery patch it sleep when idle..
Was meant to be a joke. Anyway N900 has by default 2 frequencies one minimum(125 MHz) and one maximum(600 MHz). When idle it would automatically take minimum and when it is in use it will jump up and down between minimum and maximum on demand. By changing the maximum from 600 to a higher value the minimum(idle) value doesn't have to change(though some people prefer it also higher so that device is more responsive in an event of something like a phone call). I don't use battery patch so I don't know what effect overclocking would cause there, but if the author of the patch stated that overclocking may cause problem when N900 is idle it would be wise of you to leave the min frequency alone. You should probably ask in the respected thread about the effects and also ask about changing voltage profiles(ulv, xlv, lv) normally you'd opt for the lowest that is stable on your device, but then again you should ask that on the other thread.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
You can't fry your CPU in the N900 even if you overclock. Well, you will probably be the first in the world maybe if it happens. This is because most modern CPUs have safety features built in. N900 will also freeze up and stop responding well before the CPU goes into some kind of melt down temperature etc. As long as you don't over-volt the CPU, it is pretty much impossible to physically damage your N900 no matter what you do in relation to frequency limit changing. The custom kernel for the N900 provides the option to under-volt but not over-volt anyways. So you are safe there. =P

Anyways, if I had to answer your question now...
No, it's not dangerous to overclock the N900.

Also, power kernel has many security measures to ensure that it is.
(e.g. It loads default value upon an unexpected "non-clean" reboot)

Last edited by jakiman; 2011-10-16 at 07:22.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 39 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by Masoi View Post
guys.. it is dangerous to our n900 that we always turn to overclock?? because some patch here was set to overclock.. just a question..
I have been using qCPUfreq for 2 months now in combination with kernel power48 and i keep the frequency at a permanent 900 MHz, although the device switches back to 250 MHz for most tasks (90% of the time). I had no strange reboots/freezes after intensive use for 10 days