Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Releasing ubiboot-02 (integrated) version.

This version of ubiboot introduces several niceties;
  • It is no longer necessary to install ubiboot on mtd partition
  • If installed on mtd partition, less flash eraseblock wear due to ro-mount
  • Better handling of exceptional conditions (RTC/USB poweron events)
  • Ability to fast-boot to a OS/kernel
  • More configurable options
  • Persistent logging with correct timestamps

See the full story on http://www.swagman.org/juice/ubiboot/README
Get the newest version from http://www.swagman.org/juice/ubiboot/ubiboot-02

Support on IRC at #ubiboot

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Germany - Potsdam
With vers.2 I only get "Failed to load selected OS!", "Please run a maintanance boot".

I had a mtd5 installation before and put content for the kernels from "boot.conf" to "ubiboot.conf" and put ist together with "ubiboot-02.menus.cpio" to MyDocs/boot. I get the menu, but no kernel boots.

will flash back to mtd5-kernel next.

The Following User Says Thank You to meemorph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 61 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Fornaci di Barga ITALY
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well it's actually a bit of an overview rather than detailed step-by-step guide on purpose.

It is important that you have at least basic understanding of the required concepts, like unix filesystem and working on terminal in order not to blow your foot off with this.

Part of this is that you DO have to tune this according to your own device setup. This is because ubiboot is really most useful for developers that want and need to boot different OS'es and kernels easily.
thanks for your answer,
i want ubiboot only for couriosity and for use n9 at the best possible- i'm not a dev. i know something about unix and terminal but i think isnt enoght. so i appreciate this work and a waitingfor the day (if it come) when we have a step by step instruction or when i learned how to do it!
dont give up with this work!
i think it's awesome
best regards!

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by meemorph View Post
With vers.2 I only get "Failed to load selected OS!", "Please run a maintanance boot".

I had a mtd5 installation before and put content for the kernels from "boot.conf" to "ubiboot.conf" and put ist together with "ubiboot-02.menus.cpio" to MyDocs/boot. I get the menu, but no kernel boots.

will flash back to mtd5-kernel next.
It's possible you have introduced some path problems when you set up your ubiboot.conf based on your previous boot.conf.

There should be a /var/log/ubiboot.log" in your system which might show what is the problem.

Originally Posted by nessuno0986 View Post
thanks for your answer,
i want ubiboot only for couriosity and for use n9 at the best possible- i'm not a dev. i know something about unix and terminal but i think isnt enoght. so i appreciate this work and a waitingfor the day (if it come) when we have a step by step instruction or when i learned how to do it!
dont give up with this work!
i think it's awesome
best regards!
You might want to try the new ubiboot-02 then. It is easier to set up than the original ubiboot.

Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
@juiceme
Astonishing!
Real nice one.

Would have loved the logging ability in first version to save me some time

What about updating from 01 to 02. I think as easy as grab source/ubifs.tar and overwrite? Or do we need to do some more.

Thanks also for the USB/RTC thingy. I hope it works, will see soon.
I had modified the init to only enable the maintenance mode when bootreason was pwr_key and USB attached (so first push power button and then attach USB). But this seems way better.

Another report:
I had a lot of wd32_to bootreasons. Almost always after shutting down device from any other kernel. And then boot up and let menu time out ( so default kernel l2fix was chosen). Then first boot did not succeed and a second boot (also timeout) did work. For this second boot the bootreason was wd32_to. Any ideas?
Did not go completely through sources, but have seen you have command line in logger (which holds also bootreason, right?)

Another report (which you may change maybe):
in new sources: when/if the kexec loading fails we get a log, but this log will not show the error number given back

also the possible number of block devices is limited to 8, so a maximum of 7 partitions is supported for mmcblk. You may forget about p8 and p9. I did so
btw: Thanks for the p7 configuration possibility

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2013-04-04 at 17:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Germany - Potsdam
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
It's possible you have introduced some path problems when you set up your ubiboot.conf based on your previous boot.conf.

There should be a /var/log/ubiboot.log" in your system which might show what is the problem.
: Selecting Harmattan OS, running kernel /boot/Harmattan/boot/zImage-2.6.32.54-openmode-l2fix.pr13
Apr 4 16:03:52 (none) user.notice 0: Failed to load selected OS!

whats wrong? The kernel is stored on rootfs in /boot, like before on version 01. Uses the vers. 02 a different mounting?

Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
@mmemorph
Do you have set the G_HARMATTAN_AUTOBOOT=1 ?

Then reset it to '0' and you should be OK. See irclog...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
What about updating from 01 to 02. I think as easy as grab source/ubifs.tar and overwrite? Or do we need to do some more.
Well, updating from 01 -> 02 is really easy, just grab the ubiboot-02_040413.tar, put the ubiboot.conf and ubiboot-02.menus.cpio in the root of your ubifs partition (since you already have prepared that) and check the content of the ubiboot.conf.

Thanks also for the USB/RTC thingy. I hope it works, will see soon.
I had modified the init to only enable the maintenance mode when bootreason was pwr_key and USB attached (so first push power button and then attach USB). But this seems way better.
The fix should work now. The logic is 2-staged, first it is detected that powerup reason was "usb" and then sysfs is mined for the actual event, whether it is "charger" or "data" connection. Device only enters maintanance mode if it was plugged to a computer.

Another report:
I had a lot of wd32_to bootreasons. Almost always after shutting down device from any other kernel. And then boot up and let menu time out ( so default kernel l2fix was chosen). Then first boot did not succeed and a second boot (also timeout) did work. For this second boot the bootreason was wd32_to. Any ideas?
Did not go completely through sources, but have seen you have command line in logger (which holds also bootreason, right?)
Just realised that therr is some unclean umounting going on... propably that amounts to the problems coderus has been also having. Just took me 30min to boot back to Harmattan

Another report (which you may change maybe):
in new sources: when/if the kexec loading fails we get a log, but this log will not show the error number given back
I'll have a look at it when I need to change init code anyways to fix the current issues.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by meemorph View Post
: Selecting Harmattan OS, running kernel /boot/Harmattan/boot/zImage-2.6.32.54-openmode-l2fix.pr13
Apr 4 16:03:52 (none) user.notice 0: Failed to load selected OS!

whats wrong? The kernel is stored on rootfs in /boot, like before on version 01. Uses the vers. 02 a different mounting?
There are some issues that need fixing, been debugging it now for some time.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: