Active Topics

I just read parts of:
"Mobile "rootkit" maker tries to silence critical Android dev

A data-logging software company is seeking to squash an Android developer’s critical research into its software that is secretly installed on millions of phones, but Trevor Eckhart is refusing to publicly apologize for his research and remove the company’s training manuals from his website.

Though the software is installed on millions of Android, BlackBerry, and Nokia phones, Carrier IQ was virtually unknown until the 25-year-old Eckhart analyzed its workings, recently revealing that the software secretly chronicles a user’s phone experience, from its apps, battery life and texts. Some carriers prevent users who actually find the software from controlling what information is sent.
..."
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...roid-dev-1.ars

Do we have that **** on our N900 or N9/N950?
I did not read all of the stuff/links so maybe there are some ways to find that software on our beloved N9* ?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PMaff For This Useful Post:
I am VERY surprised nobody has even commented on this... To me it a very serious issue concerning Big Brother... The same developer came back with round 2, this time with video
Wired and The Register amongst many other links out there.
This is one of the main reason I have chose to stick by my N900 and my N9 and never go with commercial brands as I believe these devices do not behave in such a way...yet...I would like to have proof...? Any experienced devs out there able to shine some light on the subject? Would be greatly appreciated. Our freedom is at stake!

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
no, it's not on the N9 or N900
http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...attan_Packages

(we would notice anything phoning home, they can't sneak it on, trust me)

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 150 | Thanked: 169 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Sweden
Hello class-action lawsuit! I want to see these ****ers go down in flames! And if they take every last cell phone manufacturer with them, that's ok too. They just make crap these days anyways.

But surely the N900 don't have this crap on it. It couldn't really, could it?

Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post

Thank you VERY much, I know I can trust you guys, you are my sole reason for proudly owning both N900 and N9

Although... that link just shows you what Nokia is telling you they have installed on the device...lol. I would assume something like Carrier IQ would be deeply hidden... but yea, I doubt it can sneak on all of you

Interresting read on a slightly similar subject:
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/documen...gle.php?page=1

Last edited by IsaacDFP; 2011-11-30 at 19:46.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
People are so ****ing sstupid. Ofcourse Big Brother looking at us.

This is also the case of Google search, Facebook, Microsoft etc.. and still people are using this peac of ****. (Me included)

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
People are so ****ing sstupid. Ofcourse Big Brother looking at us.

This is also the case of Google search, Facebook, Microsoft etc.. and still people are using this peac of ****. (Me included)
Of course they gather your cell data, they check your moving in all those big shopping centers and alike.
But the point is I do not want a program on my N900 to send anything to anybody whom I did never notice (and therefore not allow to).
I cannot check their cell towers and what they do with my profile
but I do not want these guys on my N900 directly.

Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post

Is there some kind of list of proven items on the N900 / N9?
Some kind of intrusion detection list, that shows which are regular
programs, libraries that we know what they do?
Perhaps with some md5 sums?

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@PMaff,

Given that the kernel and most programs/modules are open source, I would doubt that they contain any such rootkit-code. Of course I assume nobody has gone through the source code of all that, but I seriously doubt it would contain anything.

That leaves us with the closed modules/libraries/programs. But again, at least for the N900 somebody here would have noticed already if there was any suspicious activity going on. Keep in mind that many people around here are "constantly" looking at their N900 from the insides, so we would have noticed.

I really think that this CarrierIQ thing is a US-carrier thing, so I would expect unlocked phones to NOT have this. But AFAIK in the US everything is carrier-branded, so they have a(nother) problem.

In any case, if it turns out that HTC, Samsung and all those "me too" (me too: big ugly touch screen, AMOLED, dual-code, Android) brands are at least *allowing* the carriers to put that into their phones, it would be (for me at least) a good reason to distrust them and hence not buy anything from them.

Whatever anyone can say, I still trust Nokia more than any other brand in this field. Hey, their finnish after all, they cannot be *that* bad