Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Okay, now a new version of ubiboot-02 (rev. 0.3.1) is ready for download at swagman.

Props for coderus with helping to debug the race condition I had in the previous version

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well, updating from 01 -> 02 is really easy, just grab the ubiboot-02_040413.tar, put the ubiboot.conf and ubiboot-02.menus.cpio in the root of your ubifs partition (since you already have prepared that) and check the content of the ubiboot.conf.
Well, I thought more about using sequence from 01 (mtd4/5 r/w). And new logic from 02.
As I see the init code is compiled into the kernel, so there is no chance for own debugging any more, right?

And out of curiosity: what was the problem with harmattans autoboot? I took a look, but did not see nay suspicious.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Well, I thought more about using sequence from 01 (mtd4/5 r/w). And new logic from 02.
As I see the init code is compiled into the kernel, so there is no chance for own debugging any more, right?
What about the ubiboot-01 you find that you need, is it the softlinks in /boot/, like do you need Nemo->/mnt/8 or something like that?
The links are in the cpio, so it's only necessary to change that.

And out of curiosity: what was the problem with harmattans autoboot? I took a look, but did not see nay suspicious.
The root cause was not the G_HARMATTAN_AUTOBOOT=1 setting, and neither it was the VFAT on /mtd/4. Actually it was a race condition in init that caused /mtd/2 to be umounted before the kernel selection
For the whole story, see the IRC log at http://www.swagman.org/juice/ubiboot/irclog

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Germany - Potsdam
@mmemorph
Do you have set the G_HARMATTAN_AUTOBOOT=1 ?

Then reset it to '0' and you should be OK. See irclog...
no that dosn't matter. Will try the 0.3.1 next.

Well, updating from 01 -> 02 is really easy, just grab the ubiboot-02_040413.tar, put the ubiboot.conf and ubiboot-02.menus.cpio in the root of your ubifs partition (since you already have prepared that) and check the content of the ubiboot.conf.

I think that won't fit. My mtd5 is ~25MB the cpio file >50MB. Have to use it on ~/MyDocs/boot.

The mtd5 is a nice fallback, if you have to debug a little more ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to meemorph For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by meemorph View Post
no that dosn't matter. Will try the 0.3.1 next.
Please do, that one fixes the selection bug.

What's your HW revision btw? I am still collecting data about revisions where ubiboot has problems, to find out if rev.1603 is the only problematic device.

Please do, that one fixes the selection bug.

What's your HW revision btw? ...

The 0.3.1 did the first successfull boot. I only changed the cpio-file and flashed the new kernel.

Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to meemorph For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by meemorph View Post
I think that won't fit. My mtd5 is ~25MB the cpio file >50MB. Have to use it on ~/MyDocs/boot.

The mtd5 is a nice fallback, if you have to debug a little more ;-)
You can actually trim down thd cpio quite a lot. Most of the 50M is extra kernel modules which I included just in case (for future expansion needs).

You can delete the /lib/modules hierarchy from the cpio and repack it, and the size will be about 3.6M

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
@juiceme
Could you please post the command for cpio, as I am not used to that format and do not know which parameters to give for packing (unpacking is easy ).

I had a deeper look into sources this evening, and I was a bit "disappointed" (dont get me wrong!). I thought with G_MOUNTABLE_PARTITIONS we also got configurable Nemo partition. But that is not the case. So I made my own configuration. Not yet tested, as I am on the road without flasher tools, so if you could check that and use that maybe?
I think it will work and all changes are based on 05042013 version. So a diff will let you know easily.
Of course I do need it only for Nemo. But maybe later I want to move Nit to another real partition. And for Harmattan this maybe could also be usable to have a safe copy (dd p2 to p5) of a bootable Harmattan version for developers/tweakers?

--edit
I forgot about the links /boot/Nemo and /boot/Harmattan to /mnt/x.
Attached is v2 of my mods (only affected:@select_animated_os.sh).
They are checked to point to correct configured partition number, else they are removed and created again. I do not know if this is possible with cpio version?

--edit
corrected nit partition number in conf
set chroot folder for nit back to 0p3/nitdroid (default)
added hack for aegis store (.aegisfs, .account, .activesync), onyl needed (or maybe not at all, discussion ongoing) for switching between stock and openmode kernel (hereby creating accounts)
Attached Files
File Type: zip ubi mods peterleinchen.zip (14.8 KB, 73 views)
File Type: zip ubi mods peterleinchen - v2.zip (14.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: zip ubi mods peterleinchen - v3.zip (17.9 KB, 86 views)

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2013-04-09 at 20:39. Reason: forgot about links to /mnt/x

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
@juiceme
Could you please post the command for cpio, as I am not used to that format and do not know which parameters to give for packing (unpacking is easy ).
To unpack the cpio archive to current directory with command: "cpio -id --no-absolute-filenames < ubiboot-02.menus.cpio"

Tp repack the current directory to cpio archive, use command "find . | cpio -H newc -o > ../ubiboot-02.menus.cpio"

I had a deeper look into sources this evening, and I was a bit "disappointed" (dont get me wrong!). I thought with G_MOUNTABLE_PARTITIONS we also got configurable Nemo partition. But that is not the case. So I made my own configuration. Not yet tested, as I am on the road without flasher tools, so if you could check that and use that maybe?
I think it will work and all changes are based on 05042013 version. So a diff will let you know easily.
Of course I do need it only for Nemo. But maybe later I want to move Nit to another real partition. And for Harmattan this maybe could also be usable to have a safe copy (dd p2 to p5) of a bootable Harmattan version for developers/tweakers?
Yes, you are of course correct
At some point I thought about that, just like I have the initscript defined like in G_HARMATTAN_INITSCRIPT I should perhaps have the partition also configurable...
I just did not implement it at that time

Maybe the partition should also be defined like a sed replacement string for the whole partition name
(something like G_HARMATTAN_PARTITION="\/dev\/mmcblk0p2")

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: