Posts: 697 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Hillerød, DK
One of the advantages of Open mode and ubiboot should be: 'You will not need to flash the device to install and test a new kernel; just copying the kernel and modules to the device is enough.'

I have earlier used this procedure for Open mode: http://forum.nitdroid.com/index.php?topic=241.0
meaning zImage.pr13 but without sillyboot and NITDroid.

Instead I have multiboot from here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=86957

I have flashed to Open mode in Windows7 therefore /boot is empty (e.g. no zImage here)

Checking my N9 in terminal shows:
~ # export LANGUAGE=C
~ # accli -I
Current mode: open
IMEI: 357923045945013
Credentials:
UID::root
GID::root
GRP::root
GRP::adm
GRP::dialout
GRP:: pulse-access
~ # uname -r
2.6.32.54-dfl61-20121301

Want to change kernel to:
zImage_2.6.32.54-ubiboot-02_040613
Using this procedures:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Ubiboot#Moving...g_Filebox_Root

Download file:
zImage
ubiboot-02_040613.tar

Copy to /home/user/MyDocs/boot:
ubiboot.conf
ubiboot-02.menus.cpio

Copy to /boot (which is empty!):
zImage (changed to zImage_e-yes_nitdroid+12fix)

Correct and if then further what to do?

Last edited by Garp; 2013-08-27 at 12:31.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by KTy View Post
And fail.... like in the last 3 days...
Can reach Ubiboot menu, can reach repair console, cannot start any of the OS.... ?!

Hum.... wtf... The zImage_2.6.32.54-ubiboot-02_040613 I flashed is 7,899,680Bytes while the one I just downloaded is 6,706,056 bytes ?!

Edit: MD5S matches on the image I originally downloaded. Which file could prevent any OS to load, if corrupted ?

EDIT2: Duhhhh... I untar the preinits.tar directly in "/sbin/" not in "/"
So I assume you now have it working, all the kernels in /boot/ etc...?
If still you have problems, please post the ubiboot logs /var/log/ubiboot.dmesg and /var/log/ubiboot.log

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
One of the advantages of Open mode and ubiboot should be: 'You will not need to flash the device to install and test a new kernel; just copying the kernel and modules to the device is enough.'
This is how it is, when you have it working after that you need never again use flasher to update your kernels.

Download file:
zImage
ubiboot-02_040613.tar

Copy to /home/user/MyDocs/boot:
ubiboot.conf
ubiboot-02.menus.cpio

Copy to /boot (which is empty!):
zImage (changed to zImage_e-yes_nitdroid+12fix)

Correct and if then further what to do?
Correct up to now, however you do not need to put zImage_2.6.32.54-ubiboot-02_040613 into /boot/

Every other kernel you need goes to /boot/, and possinbly if you have different modules then they go to /lib/modules/<kernelname>/

However, the zImage_2.6.32.54-ubiboot-02_040613 is the ubiboot kernel, the 1st stage kernel that you need to flash to the device.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Hillerød, DK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
This is how it is, when you have it working after that you need never again use flasher to update your kernels.

Correct up to now, however you do not need to put zImage_2.6.32.54-ubiboot-02_040613 into /boot/

Every other kernel you need goes to /boot/, and possinbly if you have different modules then they go to /lib/modules/<kernelname>/

However, the zImage_2.6.32.54-ubiboot-02_040613 is the ubiboot kernel, the 1st stage kernel that you need to flash to the device.
Does it mean that even if I have Open mode right now I need to flash to get the ubiboot-2 kernel?

Or even if I have the old stuff: "zImage.pr13: (not recommended) before Ubiboot was published, this was the latest zImage being used for dual-booting or multi-booting NITDroid."
It's not enough to avoid flash to get new kernel?

Last edited by Garp; 2013-08-27 at 15:07.

Yes, I can boot Harmattan , Android and Nemo 2.6.32.
Thank you !

Is it normal I cannot boot (black screen) "Unstable 3.5.3 SabreTSq" ?
I read that it could take some time, so I have plugged it and I am waiting...

Last edited by KTy; 2013-08-27 at 15:21.

Does it mean that even if I have Open mode right now I need to flash to get the ubiboot-2 kernel?
Yes, ubiboot is a loader kernel.
It is not a "user-kernel", in a way that it is meant to be a boot loader 1st stage, which then launches your "real" kernels which run your OS.
Think of it like Grub or LiLo, or Uboot.

Or even if I have the old stuff: "zImage.pr13: (not recommended) before Ubiboot was published, this was the latest zImage being used for dual-booting or multi-booting NITDroid."
It's not enough to avoid flash to get new kernel?
Under ubiboot, you then select/load the 2nd stage kernel, this can be plain open mode kernel, old-style nitdroid kernel, enhanced kernel+NAT, enhanced Nitdroid kernel, whatever.

Ubiboot is just the method to select between all these kernels (and of course the OS that the kernel runs, as default it can be Harmattan, Nitdroid or Nemo. Later maybe something else too... FFOS, SailfisOS, Tizen,...)

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by KTy View Post
Yes, I can boot Harmattan , Android and Nemo 2.6.32.
Thank you !

Is it normal I cannot boot (black screen) "Unstable 3.5.3 SabreTSq" ?
I read that it could take some time, so I have plugged it and I am waiting...
Well you would need to supply the kernel first

See, the menu entries are configured in your ubiboot.conf. For each OS/Kernel combination you find a configuration section there.

The lines are just examples, you need to copy the kernels and modules to the device or edit the ubiboot.conf to your own desire.

And yes, the SabreToothSquirrel is my take on porting the 3.5.3 linux kernel to Nemo... nowhere near usable and needs LOTS of work

Posts: 545 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ lebanon
i'm stuck at 'Re-partitioning failed!' (installing nemo) and i cannot telnet to my N9
edit : i can telnet succesfully but i cannot repartition
edit 2 : succesfully repartitioned

for future reference MyDocs should have at least 6GB free ( i had 5.5)
edit 3 : i cannot start any os

http://pastebin.com/pQUzTN5d ubiboot.dmesg

Last edited by myname24; 2013-08-28 at 12:14.

Posts: 545 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ lebanon
bump added log file

Well, ubiboot.dmesg looks okay, can you paste the ubiboot.log also?
Can you show what is on your /boot/ directory? (ls -la /boot)
Did you extract the preinits correctly? (ls -la /sbin/preinit*)