Is it possible to set the codec used in the N900 SIP VoIP client?

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Examples for codecs that you want to set, please?

I am not sure which codecs are available, but g729, gsm or ilbc, as these provide better performance over HSPA.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Atlanta, GA United States
Originally Posted by whats_up_skip View Post
Is it possible to set the codec used in the N900 SIP VoIP client?
I haven't found anyway to configure the codec using the "VOIP and IM accounts" panel under the settings utility.

Moreover, although I can initiate and receive calls, there is a problem with the outbound voice when I'm using my VoIP provider (normal telephone calls work just fine - it's not a dead mic).

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Moon
i can't see any way to change codecs as well, i hope this doesn't mean it defaults to g711 as it would be bad idea for 3g or even on wifi if user got slow upload speed.
for E series there is sip tool on nokia website that let us adjust this so i hope there is a way to change codecs and codecs priority on n900
is quite odd that such simple feature yet so much needed one is missing

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
I agree!

I was searching for the codec too, but no hit jet.

Would be great if you could tie a codec priority list to the Internet connection used (Wifi, 3G, 2,5G, 2G) or autodetection based on currently available bandwidth.

Cheers
Bjoern

I suspect by the poor quality of outbound sound on HSPA that it is either defaulting to ulaw (g711) or has the priority set as ulaw first.

I will try to do some more testing tomorrow to see what I can work out.

There is another issue with the VoIP system I noticed:
If you have more than SIP account registered and you select a name from the contact list it offers "phone" or "sip audio" numbers, but it does not tell you which sip account it is going to use.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Originally Posted by onestop View Post
I haven't found anyway to configure the codec using the "VOIP and IM accounts" panel under the settings utility.

Moreover, although I can initiate and receive calls, there is a problem with the outbound voice when I'm using my VoIP provider (normal telephone calls work just fine - it's not a dead mic).
Same problem here in asterisk 1.6.2.0 with this (sip.conf) :

allow=gsm,ulaw,alaw,h263,g729

I hope this get fixed in the upcoming release as this is a MAIN feature of this phone!

Originally Posted by R-R View Post
allow=gsm,ulaw,alaw,h263,g729
What happens if you change it to either:
allow=g729

or

allow=gsm

This might let us know which codecs are installed.

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by whats_up_skip View Post

There is another issue with the VoIP system I noticed:
If you have more than SIP account registered and you select a name from the contact list it offers "phone" or "sip audio" numbers, but it does not tell you which sip account it is going to use.
See the bug in my signature. Please vote for it. It might as well resolve your issue.

Cheers Bjoern

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blubbi For This Useful Post: