Notices

Is there a way to configure (in Pure or OSM scout) the rendering distance of various elements, other than playing with the map scale (which also makes the text/icons really tiny)?

Asking because on online-mapbox, major stops for public transportation are shown at a decent distance(400-600m on distance scale), but in offline mode (OSM scout Day English) you have to zoom in fairly close (100m scale) to see these, which makes it a bit difficult to just browse around the map for these, particlularly as rail lines and POI icons are not color/layoutwise quite as distinct from the rest of the map as in the default openstreetmap.org presentation.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Yeum For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by Yeum View Post
Is there a way to configure (in Pure or OSM scout) the rendering distance of various elements, other than playing with the map scale (which also makes the text/icons really tiny)?

Asking because on online-mapbox, major stops for public transportation are shown at a decent distance(400-600m on distance scale), but in offline mode (OSM scout Day English) you have to zoom in fairly close (100m scale) to see these, which makes it a bit difficult to just browse around the map for these, particlularly as rail lines and POI icons are not color/layoutwise quite as distinct from the rest of the map as in the default openstreetmap.org presentation.
Yes, it is. For that, the style of the map has to be adjusted. Corresponding repository is at https://github.com/rinigus/mapbox-gl-styles

Note that it requires learning how Mapbox GL styles work and then how to adjust corresponding implementation (I am using scripts to generate final styles).

Personally, I don't have time slot right now for modifying styles.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Having used PM for a few 100km the last days (which showed 100% occurate navigation with easy usage and low power consumption, thanks to rinigus!), I maybe encountered a little bug both in 1.18 (half of the track) as in 1.19 (the other one after updating ) using OSMSS's maps.:

When having planned a route, PM shows a navigation icon in the right top corner of the map screen instead of in the left upper corner (see orange marks on screenshots, did not try in portrait mode).

As I was in a hurry both times, I did some screenshots, but didn't analyze the circumstances in which this happened. The only hint I can give is, that it happened between start of routing and driving...

Maybe it helps anyway...
Attached Images

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BGK For This Useful Post:
Have seen this bug while testing on desktop. I'll have to look into it when I get to the navigation mode controls layout.

PS: Thanks for reporting

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
There seems to be a problem with the cbeta SailfishOS Version 3.0.3.x

Can we do something here ?

Code:
[nemo@Sailfish Downloads]$ harbour-pure-maps 
[D] unknown:0 - Using Wayland-EGL
[D] unknown:0 - Got library name:  "/usr/lib/qt5/qml/io/thp/pyotherside/libpyothersideplugin.so"
[D] onCompleted:355 - Warning: specifying an object instance for initialPage is sub-optimal - prefer to use a Component
[D] unknown:0 - Geoclue client path: "/org/freedesktop/Geoclue/Master/client4"
[W] unknown:0 - QMetaMethod::invoke: Unable to handle unregistered datatype 'QGeoPositionInfo'
[W] unknown:0 - [ INFO ]  "{QSGRenderThread}[General]: GPU Identifier: Adreno (TM) 508"
sailfish-qml: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/qt5/qml/MapboxMap/libqmlmapboxglplugin.so: undefined symbol: ubidi_open
Thanks

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:
Pure Maps. The reason i use SailfishOS. Apart from the swipe gestures maybe.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Veraendert For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by explit View Post

Code:
[nemo@Sailfish Downloads]$ harbour-pure-maps 
[D] unknown:0 - Using Wayland-EGL
[D] unknown:0 - Got library name:  "/usr/lib/qt5/qml/io/thp/pyotherside/libpyothersideplugin.so"
[D] onCompleted:355 - Warning: specifying an object instance for initialPage is sub-optimal - prefer to use a Component
[D] unknown:0 - Geoclue client path: "/org/freedesktop/Geoclue/Master/client4"
[W] unknown:0 - QMetaMethod::invoke: Unable to handle unregistered datatype 'QGeoPositionInfo'
[W] unknown:0 - [ INFO ]  "{QSGRenderThread}[General]: GPU Identifier: Adreno (TM) 508"
sailfish-qml: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/qt5/qml/MapboxMap/libqmlmapboxglplugin.so: undefined symbol: ubidi_open
Thanks
Thanks for heads up. I have already earlier received a warning regarding this problem. We discussed it with @piggz on sailfishos-porters (http://www.merproject.org/logs/%23sa...04-09.log.html) and he told that this error was due to upgrade of ICU. Official response is at https://together.jolla.com/question/...comment-203676 , cannot see it myself.

So far, no good solution for apps broken by ICU upgrade is not known. I expect that OSM Scout Server will be broken as well (Mapnik is using ICU directly, if I remember correctly).

I am considering to make OBS builds for 303 when its out and switch to 303 builds at OpenRepos when official devices and main ports will switch to it. Note that OBS target for 303 may arrive after 303 SFOS is released. Usually, targets used by ports are also released a bit later. So, for official device users, there will be a gap - assuming that they update to 303 - where Pure Maps and other ICU-dependent applications will not work.

On your side, you could notify Jolla of this issue and ask them to find a way to resolve it better. As far as I understood, the tradeoff is ICU size (if multiple versions are installed) VS breaking apps.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by explit View Post

Releasing a new SDK and maybe a documentation with API changes.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Halftux View Post
Releasing a new SDK and maybe a documentation with API changes.
That's effectively how Fedora and other major Linux distros handle it - ABI breaking library changes are landed long before a given distro release is declared stable, giving time to mainteiners to rebuild and potentially also fix their packages.

It's a bit easier due to all the packages being open source, so the maintainers who do the ABI break generally rebuild the dependent packages. We still do that basically manually in Fedora but AFAIK OBS can do this automatically.

But even on Sailfish OS nothing (other than missing infrastructure for Jollla Store and Open Repos integration) really prevents this from working with open source apps. You would just import srpm or spec and tarball instead of the binary RPM, then when a new target shows up some time before release, the app would be rebuikd automatically. Most would rebuild just fine, some might need to by fixed by maintainers.

In any case a system like this could help save precious maintainer resources and prevent user facing app breakage.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
@MartinK: Its somewhat easier for all applications/libs that are a part of the distribution (Fedora, for example). In our case, we are these third-party providers that have to follow the main distribution and rebuild accordingly.

In this particular case, it would be handy to have ability to specify package built for specific SFOS version (so, I could provide Mapbox GL QML versions for 3.0.1, 3.0.3, and so on) at OpenRepos. Currently, only through OBS I can do it in some kind of sane way. But then, its users who would have to subscribe to the correct channel.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: