Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Offline Wikipedia would be amazing!

Hey crei,

I think I am in the process of creating a dump for the english wiki. It has been running for several days in a virtual machine, and I think I'm on either slice 7 or 8 of 40. ./dumps-temp/en is at 7.5GB and growing. Does this sound about right?

I would hate to have this running for a month and find at the end that it failed.

Thanks,

Mike

Hey mbthomas,

that sounds great! Thank you for trying that. The time needed and the size of the files feel realistic. I'll be writing a HOWTO for the dump process next, so you can check if you did everything right.

Regards,
Christian

other dumps I found are around the 7/8 gb size for the entire english database exclusing pictures. http://www.reitwiessner.de/openmoko/evopedia.html

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 1,105 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
@crei: thank you for the app, i use it also on the freerunner.

i downloaded the latest version evopedia 0.2.99+0.3rc1
from extras-devel and extracted the new zipped wikipedia
dump wikipedia_de_2009-12-23.zip to the MyDocs folder.

starting evopedia and choosing the corresponding directory
does nothing, i only see "parent directory". any hints are
welcome.

p.s. it worked before for me with the deb from garage
and a squashfs wikipedia dump. something after the firmware
release 1.1 changed so that it doesnt run anymore:-(

Just to clear some things up:

The dumps mentioned by RDJEHV will not work with version 2.99/3.0.

The bug mentioned by BluesLee is known, I'm trying to fix it. Thank you for the report, BluesLee.

I have fixed some bugs in the dump process and in the software. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if everything will work well enough, so I won't release a newer version of the software or dump before both work together.

If all these problems are fixed, the dumps will still take some days to get done. So if anybody wants to help me in creating the dumps, please contact me.

I still would love to have offline wiki on my n900! Is there any way possible to have a working version in 2 weeks time?

@crei - I was working on an English dump, but it seems to have failed pretty badly. If you have instructions on the right way to do it, I would love to try and help.

evopedia 0.3.0 release candidate 2 is in extras-devel now. Please try it out and report bugs. Furthermore, a new (and hopefully complete) dump of the German Wikipedia can be downloaded from the wiki page.

Parallel to creating new dumps, I am converting old dumps to the new format. This way, dumps for various languages should be available during the next week (including an English one with approximately 5 GB!).

mbthomas: I'm sorry to hear that. Could you please contact me by mail and tell me what you did? The instructions on the wiki should work together with a current git version of the dump scripts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crei For This Useful Post:
I'll try the program now. In the wiki there is also an english dump. is that working? otherwise I'll use the german one for now.