Hello,

I have Nokia N900 with the latest maemo updates supported from Nokia and live with that most of days I got my device.

Later I had installed maemo CSSU and got many updates from them and everything is working fine.

Also installed Android within the same phone memory and it boot normally and everything is perfect with both OSs (Note I have access now to Androis)

Recently I installed package named (I don't remember) like hildon to apply portrait desktop..

My problem now that I ran the following :

#apt-get remove hildon-desktop
#reboot

The issue is that I got the both selection for maemo and Android, press 1 to boot to maemo , it loads and Nokia famous video displayed with music but it returns back to boot menu again!!!

What do you think?

Note that I boot normally to Android!!!

Please help!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mahmoudmaemo For This Useful Post:
its no good you deleted hildon-desktop because its part of interface of the N900.
Im not an experd but you can flash just only the os. without flashing the whole emmc.

whats happening when you boot the phone?

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
Nokia N900 is not a phone, and its missing hildon-desktop which means it does not have a GUI to work with.

In other words you're pretty much screwed unless you know how to work with mounting and chrooting into maemo from nitdroid.

Also, flashing using the combined firmware will lose multiboot and nitdroid. #maemo on IRC recommends that you flash both eMMC and combined instead of just combined. You are forewarned.

The Following User Says Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:
why did you do that? You're supposed to apt-get install --reinstall hildon-desktop

The Following User Says Thank You to Char For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Time for a reflash.

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Did you have backup menu installed? Maybe you made a backup you can restore from.

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
LMFAO!

hay guyz, like omg haylp, i just uninstored my fone!

Last edited by JamesBond@ge; 2011-08-28 at 11:10.

James, do you think your post is of any value? People got different problems, some of them may seems dumb for You, but OP described her/his problem with details, following every rule of "how to ask questions smart way".

So, your comment is very immature and inappropriate.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
So, your comment is very immature and inappropriate.
Merciless sarcasm aside.

I'm a total noob when it comes X Terminal and Linux in general but even I know HOW NOT not to uninstall half of my damn operating system using apt-get remove hildong-desktop

I know you're getting all moral high ground on my arse but don't you find it a teensy tiny bit funny. This phone is going on 2 years old now and people are still deleting half of their Maemos off their phones.

I'm sorry but I think it's hilarious. So much so, that I thanked the OP for the post.

The OP has to be a troll IMO.

Last edited by JamesBond@ge; 2011-08-28 at 11:34.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
An advice for the future.. know what you type! If unsure then ask but not before you googled it.

hildon-home is a core package of the phone. By removing it you do not have anything to boot into. You could attempt a chroot else a reflash is your only option.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums