Notices

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Please report dead links or channel without the right format, like 2 borders on sides or all 4 borders, TIA. I have been browsing it everyday and so far found only 1 dead link, ALL channels are without eye soring borders, I mean the ones I browsed.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-10-17 at 12:21.

Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
I'm really beginning to hate this application.
I sucessfully used it 2 months ago, then it became hard to get any of the USA channels and now with the upgrade I've wasted half an hour trying USA channels without success.
WorldTV99 does not generate videoes - Dah!. It taps into video source and that is ALL it does. If the video source is DOWN, for whatever reason, the links will NOT work. See below:
================================================== ===

This sender is DomainKeys verified
"NBC Los Angeles" <nbclosangeles@nbclocal.com>
Add sender to Contacts
To:
"bunanson@yahoo.com" <bunanson@yahoo.com>

Hello!

www.nbclosangeles.com is now live! Thanks for your patience over the past week during this transition. We hope that the new site will provide you with a much richer experience and connect you closer to your local community.

We of course have the basics covered, news, weather and traffic - we think you will enjoy the new, easy to use interface, plus we have added new sources of information and links to the best content in the city (even to our "competitors"). Everything you loved about KNBC.com will be on the new site along with much more, including coverage of the events, happenings, culture and buzz around the city. Try our advanced search feature (that works!) to help you discover great new content - giving you what you want, how you want it.

Click here for a quick tour.

Here are some other features we've built to enhance your experience:

* Media Viewer for every topic - finally see and sort news online
* Event tracker, venue maps and hot topic browsers - know more so you can do more
* Upload your own content - share thoughts and content with others

There's lots to discover on the site, go check it out here. This is only our Beta, so we would love your feedback on how we can make this site better for you, please send us your thoughts!

If you want to sign up for other newsletters, click here.

If you have any questions or need help on the new site, contact us at feedback@nbclosangeles.com. We'll get back to you as soon as we can!

Thanks
The NBC Los Angeles Team
© 2008 NBC Universal, Inc.
Local Integrated Media
30 Rockefeller Plaza
New York, NY 10112

Please, do not reply to this e-mail
To unsubscribe from our newsletters please click here.
==================================================

Most of the USA channels in WorldTV99 I have subscription AND running a risk of getting spam mails. Because this TV streaming thing is also new to the TV stations, they routinely change to adapt to newer standards and "better" broadcast. Some maintain broadcast during the transitions, most just stop it for awhile... You got the picture.

If the link says "buffering...." but that is no video/audio, it means the source is correct, but it is NOT broadcast.
BTW, if you stared at the screen patiently, you should see the black screen turned dark purple, (it is very subtle, not everybody can see it) sometimes, that is another sign, that the link IS working, but the source is NOT broadcasting. WorldTV99 is trying hard to stream, but no cigars.

When? I got this email a couple weeks ago, not that I dig out something from 200 yrs ago.
How many? around 1 per couple of weeks, I directed these to my spam filter.

I HAVE NO idea why I need to spend my energy on topics like this other than plain frustration.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-10-18 at 13:26.

Frustration is gone, a happy bun is here again, as usual.

I noticed that even with the same station, upon watching the same program, video may fluctuate between full screen with no border or upper/lower borders, never side-side borders though, on the large it stays with full screen with no borders. Same when played with native xterm/mplayer. That is the streaming signal thing, maybe a bug with the mplayer, WorldTV99 just have to live with it. Just a note. Quote, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=24067, thread #10
================================================== ========
Apparantly mplayer has a mind of its own!

Running mplayer.29/Diablo/N800. using xterm/mplayer -playlist any.m3u

It plays in 4:3, a rectangle with borders on either sides, most of time. Yes, most of the time, not ALL the time, it flickered in and out of like 16:9 with all 4 borders on and off. Looks like the streaming signal somehow affects the aspect ratio. Since this is streaming video, from WorldTV99, I would not have known whether this is encoding problem of the original copy or mplayer decoding problem. I guess I am going to leave this to Serge or the mplayer maemo team. Is there an option to nail down the aspect ratio?

bun
================================================== ============

I myself really enjoy this without the eye-soring borders. I am sorry to say, this is Nokia supposed to be, and is the minimal base for all video on this tiny screen. Letterbox or up/lower border is a waste for precious screen estate. HAVA are you listening?

I hope you all enjoy this as much as we are making it. comments? Feedback? Rottentomatoes? Feature request or new station suggestions?

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-10-18 at 13:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 133 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Mexico
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post

I hope you all enjoy this as much as we are making it. comments? Feedback? Rottentomatoes? Feature request or new station suggestions?

bun
I do notice the "purple"-not-streaming channels (the Swedish ones have always been like that).

I actually tried a lot of channels yesterday, but I did not wrote every channel that did not work.

I do remember these:

USA Discovery Channel: Does not Buffer, does not purple screen, nothing... (BUMMER this one would be so cool to have...)

USA Espn: same problem (I'm starting to think maybe those are only for people with IP's in the states...)

USA oldcartoons: same thing (sometimes it buffers for a nanosec though)

USA Starr, USA Twelve TV, USA AfricaHit and OSA OCTT seem to have the same issue.

Movie trailers: it just shows a cinema style countdown all distorted. Then purple screen.

Mexico Ocho Tv: no audio.

Mexico 40: no video.

Mexico SCJN: no video. (but this one is not cool enough to pay too much attention, since it is a Judicial C-SPAN, like the Mexico Canal del Congreso, Congress Channel, that works)

Dubai EDTV: seems to have the same advertisement on a loop... and that is the only thing broadcasted.

There is another channel (Wrestler Koco) that has the same problem with a guy telling you about Fit and Sexy something something and then showing his abs, and that is on an endless loop.

Now some good comments,

GREAT channels:

USA CNN
Skynews
USA SCCtv (I don't know how they got so many good movies and documentaries in that community channel, but last night I watched "Anytown, USA" and a program called "Sidereel" about movie makers with great interviews)
USA NASA (they broadcast sometimes from the space!!!)
Chile 13, nice spanish channel. Even some cartoons in the morning.
Roma Uno. If you understand a little italian is cool.
And, remember to watch Mexico Cadena Tres when the next update comes.

Now a feature request: a way to create your own playlists easily.

Thanks again for this super cool app. And I'll hunt for some more working channels.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
WorldTV99 does not generate videoes - Dah!. It taps into video source and that is ALL it does. If the video source is DOWN, for whatever reason, the links will NOT work. <snip>
bun
bun - You've explained this all before -
I was NOT expressing an frustration with your effort. I GREATLY appreciate your efforts!
My frustration is the combination of having successfully used the app at the start with little or no problem only to see the TV stations changing things. Add that to my stubborness of trying it again and again.

Again, the app looks great, but I can't get it to work reliably.
PLEASE use the Wiki

As always, when there is a special day, CNN appeared LIVE. Honestly, I cannot tell which and which is NOT LIVE. Anyhow, right now I am watching VA day parade on CNN. USA/CNN continue to be the top channel for me in both entertainment and news. Second in line is USA/Globe TrekkerTV, always marvel at the scenery and the diverse culture they are broadcasting. CBC news use to be on my top list. Not anymore as I cannot make it into widescreen, so video enjoyment is compromised.

Going back the topic for LIVE, which is to many viewers, the real definition between TV vs internet stream videos (I think real TV should be defined with have advertisement ), some local news channels do broadcast time/date at the beginning of the broadcast, I wish they can leave the time/date on the screen, one can then tell how 'OLD' is this broadcast. Or, if we can extract from the file on the date/time we could have stick it to a corner of the screen. Some of the update ideas.....

Again, when there is a special events, one can always check with WorldTV99 to see whether it is on and whether it is LIVE.

Other AudioVisual function I enjoyed with the tablet,

HAVA - a real-time TV broadcast transmitted to your tablet via internet. Resolution is excellent in local home network, there is some decrease in resolution when watching away from your home network.

VideoCenter - good for USA major channels, like CBS/ABC/NBC/CNN/Fox

I have not do any video encoding ever since I own the tablet. It is more than adequate to fullfill almost all my AV needs. Thanks for the maemo development team and Nokia making a platform for the ave consumer.

bun

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
You know that CNN has a bunch of feeds that stream and that I hope and assume work like its other feed?

They are CNN International: url http://www.cnn.com/video/flashLive/l...stream=stream1

CNN Spanish? http://www.cnn.com/video/flashLive/l...stream=stream2

CNN NASA? http://www.cnn.com/video/flashLive/l...stream=stream3

CNN Weather? http://www.cnn.com/video/flashLive/l...stream=stream4

I think the last two probably change depending on what's popular, and for all I know the others change too, but they are all CNN material.

Edit: I'm not sure how to get them to work on my tablet, to tell the truth. But they work in Linux!

Last edited by geneven; 2008-11-19 at 01:40.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
...Edit: I'm not sure how to get them to work on my tablet, to tell the truth. But they work in Linux!
Thanks for the honesty :-). Dont worry, I will figure it out...., thanks for the source, CNN is my number one now, CBC is still OK, but NOT that much of enjoyment because of the two ugly side bars.

bun

good man thank you bunanson

The Following User Says Thank You to qwert4qwert For This Useful Post:
CNN from the home grown project, WorldTV99 (pics 1 and 3, CNN logo on the right corner) vs CNN from a commercial player, HAVA (pics 2 and 4, CNN logo on the left corner). Did you NOT notice the annoying borders on ALL 4 sides?

4950 (90X55) : 3120 (78X40) = 1 vs 0.63 a loss of video estate 37 %, more than one third!

Nothing. Just chuckle.

bun
Attached Images

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-11-28 at 02:57.

Tags
kmplayer, mplayer, streaming video, worldtv99