Closed Thread
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Well that's hardly declaring that the foundation now does nothing in the interests of Maemo xx-6x, which is what Reinob's post implied.
To be honest, I neither had nor I have now any particular interest in what the foundation is for or in what it does exactly.

My interest is in Maemo and in the N900, and most importantly in their interesection. If Nokia apparently *required* some sort of legal entity in order to transfer ownership of the domain name, then I obviously agree(d) that a foundation was necessary.

Now I still have not heard or read a single argument besides the DNS transfer that would "convince" me that a foundation is necessary.

If I was a foundation member or director or whatever-you-call-it I would focus on DNS and then declare the foundation as unnecessary, as long as no other raison d'être has been identified or shows up at some point.

Hence my disappointment with the foundation, and in particular with its sole member, Rob, who, based merely on his written words (as I don't know him personally), seems to have a bigger, "master", plan for this so-called foundation.

This I find contrary to the spirit of the foundation as well as to the expectations of the community. And by community I mean the people involved in maemo.org.

Given that the foundation was appropriately *not* named Maemo foundation, I suggest that once the maemo.org DNS entries point to the new server, the foundation can disjoin itself from its original goal and pursue other, perhaps grander, ambitions unrelated to Maemo and to maemo.org.

There is obviously a non-zero probability that *I* am missing something here. I would thus appreciate it if other *maemo-relevant* functions of the foundation, that is besides the DNS transfer, could be enumerated, perhaps in this very thread.

Thank you. And sorry for the long post.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
thanked for good summary of the whole situation, though this goes pretty much OT for the thread's topic meanwhile. i'm not going to provide that enumeration of HiFo tasks now, just one note: there's more to HiFo than just DNS/domain. Particularly Nokia's permission to deploy their blobs, and generally taking care for other virtual (user base) and material (server iron) assets.
I obviously concur - like most others who posted here, incl BoD and HiFo co-founder Woody, GeneralAntilles, Jaffa, complete council - about demur regarding "master plan" in HiFo though.
IF there were any place for master plans, then that would be council, and those master plans had to be based on careful evaluation of what community asks for, even including referendum if needed. Not even in council (which been voted for roughly those duties like concentrating and coordinating community's thoughts, plans and projects) there is room for any of its members developing and pursuing *own* master plans based on own solitary considerations.

cheers
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-03-14 at 09:54.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Sigh... must, resist, temptation... must, fight it... Good-bye.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
As a end user interested in long living maemo and this Community I do not like the whole behind the scenes mystery. As I see it things are simple so there is no need for this chit chat about HiFo this HiFo that. As someone before stated - HiFo was supposed to save the domain and data for users left behind by Nokia puling the plug. Let's just do it and move one with the goodies provided by developers. As this is supposed to be an open community I would like to have everything crystal clear and transparent. Since a few months I can only read that the HiFo people did a huge work. What work? Could someone clarify? Huge work is when you dig a 100m long canal for boats with a shovel. As I see it the work is done by the community, developers and people from Comunity Councile and others involved.

The most terrifying thing is that people who should be with HiFo are stepping down, there are no elections etc. Why did the Board members started their work first place? What were they thinking? What are the reasons to step down? What has changed since day on of their HiFo work, vision so they step down?

The whole thing builds an impression that something is not going as supposed and starts some conspiracy theories probably not only in my head

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Its degrading find a oem hire devlopers create maemo 10 thats it

i won't go as far as Jaylist and pull out completely but...
my impulse a few weeks ago was to volunteer to help set up and maintain the Maemo.org infrastructure. after all, i earn a living doing this and until a few months ago was practically daily on TMO, so why not?
after yesterday's Council meeting (IRC log of #maemo-meeting for Friday, 2013-03-15) i got to the conclusion that... that i'll use my N900 as long as it lasts.
if the public repos go down (thus MO disappears) i have a download of most packages & can built myself a local repo that will easily fit onto a 64GB µSD
and even distribute it as a torrent...
i also have a few copies of the ROMs lying around, so basically...

hasta la vista, babies... 8-X
(i may be back ¦-)))))))
:|

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
i won't go as far as Jaylist and pull out completely but...
my impulse a few weeks ago was to volunteer to help set up and maintain the Maemo.org infrastructure. after all, i earn a living doing this and until a few months ago was practically daily on TMO, so why not?
after yesterday's Council meeting (IRC log of #maemo-meeting for Friday, 2013-03-15) i got to the conclusion that...
That seems a shame, meetings are bound to have disagreements. Especially when people feel strongly about a topic. Remember people who are in Council are representing the community on community issues. If you don't stand up your voice will not be heard.

I don't see any reason why you should let one meeting put you off. However many could agrue, if you feel this way your not the right person for volunteering.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
That seems a shame, meetings are bound to have disagreements. Especially when people feel strongly about a topic. Remember people who are in Council are representing the community on community issues. If you don't stand up your voice will not be heard.
it wasn't the differences that put me off.
it is the fact that Woody, no matter that he is currently one of the most dedicated member of the Community, is perfectly unable to admit that he did or said something wrong.
or, even worth, that someone may have a different opinion then his own.

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
I don't see any reason why you should let one meeting put you off. However many could agrue, if you feel this way your not the right person for volunteering.
that's definitely not someone i want to work with leave alone entrust my money to, no f#ing way...

again, it doesn't matter that right now he seems to do the right thing(s); soon or later, and i sincerely hope it will be later, he is bound to make a mistake or adopt a stance that is not in the community's best interest.
even though on TMO his tactic is always that of the pachyderm, simply ignoring any question implying critic or criticism and going on posting the same gnagna over and over and over again until the critic tires away, in a Council, Board of Directors or even in a public meeting, that's an unacceptable behaviour.
in a government, that amounts pretty much to deporting ppl.
@ best...

Friday's meeting was a painful illustration of that.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by setter View Post
An excellent example of how to comment on something without adding anything....

Typical...

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=114

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 257 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Sweden
Good shot but I think you missed the target as well as the intention.

Closed Thread

Tags
board