Active Topics

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
because its my newest phone,(my iphone is 2 years old ffs) i didnt want to carry the iphone but i have to because the n900 isnt up to what it told us it was- the good thing is that i have a browser that acts like a computer(browsers and google adds think its a pc not a mobile device) - its very handy- i can see my add positions and competitors on the n900 but cannot on the iphone.

thats one tthing i cannot do on any other phone so great..and to me that with the added value of a nice surfing experience, which i need for work as well , its worth carrying-- i suppose my problem is i am now turning ito the user that needs an internet tablet- omg what have i become....fk- its not the phone i have a gripe with its the gps- i need to get around london many days- to different sites.

get office- sort the gps, (email is ok and i would get used to it but as i have the iphone on me and its slicker i stick with that)

Last edited by mysticrokks; 2010-01-07 at 00:09.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ioan View Post
Why? N900 won't make phone calls? What other features do you need from the phone and you don't have in N900?
(I'm not trolling, I'm really curious what else do you do with your phone)
over the yeas i became used to the following features that i expect a phone to have:

text2speech (both to announce the caller name and to read sms/mails to me)
voice dialling
MMS
GSM video calls
contact groups and ringtones per contact
a few java applications i use regularly

in pretty much this order.

With my main SIM-card in the N900 first, it was a strange feeling for me to hear the phone ring on the table behind me and not knowing who's calling. I didn't want that. I also didn't want to go through a phonebook to find a contact. I just press a button and say his/her name. And of course, having all my MMS-messages disappear into nirvana was not an option. I would not explain to my friends that no, I didn't see the picture they sent because my €600 phone doesn't have such advanced features as MMS.

So my SIM card went back into my old phone, the N900 has the secondary SIM now and things are back to normal. My operator routes incoming calls to both devices, and when I do make a call from my N900, the other person will see my main number, so I can still pretty much test everything on the N900 if I want to. But for every day use? No.

(Also, compared to my S60 phone, Maemo simply lacks applications.)

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by mysticrokks View Post
because its my newest phone,(my iphone is 2 years old ffs) i didnt want to carry the iphone but i have to because the n900 isnt up to what it told us it was- the good thing is that i have a browser that acts like a computer(browsers and google adds think its a pc not a mobile device) - its very handy- i can see my add positions and competitors on the n900 but cannot on the iphone.

that one tthing i cannot do on any other phone so great..

get office- sort the gps, (email is ok and i would get used to it but as i have the iphone on me and its slicker i stick with that)
... so basically you're saying the GPS sucks (something you surely knew before buying, and will hopefully be resolved) ... the battery doesn't last long enough for you as a very heavy user (that can be solved by getting a second battery) ... and it doesn't yet have office apps (something that can be sorted, but again, something you knew before buying) ...

... I understand the frustration at the battery, but that an be sorted ... I'm not sure you're going to get sympathy from me for complaining about the GPS and Docs, since it was very clear that neither would be as you'd like just yet and I still don't see why you have such an issue with the "phone" ...

... this forum is seriously depressing at the moment! ... personally I'm loving my n900 ... it's not all I'd like it to be yet, but I'm optimistic that it will get there! ... reading this forum tho it seems full of people determined to complain about things they really should have been aware of before buying ...

The Following User Says Thank You to EmmaGx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ NE UK
Personally, I'm with uncle Ludwig on semantics: meaning is (mostly) use.

If I say things like, for example, "would you fetch my phone, it's on the table" and people consistently respond by fetching my N900, etc., that's all I need to worry about, and provides enough justification for saying "my N900 is a phone".

All the rest is Platonic nonsense. There is no Ideal Heavenly Phone which would enable one to determine exactly the phone-ness of the N900 by enumerating exhaustively defined properties possessed by an abstract object and comparing them against the N900.

HTH

Last edited by kwotski; 2010-01-07 at 00:19.

oh dear gemma, this phone is nice but needs sorting out- the gps reviews were all pretty favorable before i bought this device, and the batterry doesnt last all day- it makes me carry another phone- can you not understand this- stop writing such trash go to sleep and fondle and kiss your phone good night.

and just please plaese show me when i complained about the lack of docs- no i said get docs at the end and this device will be perfect..

you are a total drama queen..

not only that i am very favorable about the browser in my post- saying its the best for me- i have no idea on your stance whatsoever.

Last edited by mysticrokks; 2010-01-07 at 00:21.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
over the yeas i became used to the following features that i expect a phone to have:

text2speech (both to announce the caller name and to read sms/mails to me)
voice dialling
MMS
GSM video calls
contact groups and ringtones per contact
a few java applications i use regularly

in pretty much this order.
... over the years the only thing of your list I've ever used was contact groups ... and then I didn't find it remotely useful ... I can see how some of the others could be very useful for using the phone while driving and when you're used to them losing them would be an issue ... BUT ... I don't think they're things that are routinely used by even smartphone users are they?

oh dear gemma, this phone is nice but needs sorting out- the gps reviews were all pretty favorable before i bought this device, and the batterry doesnt last all day- it makes me carry another phone- can you not understand this- stop writing such trash go to sleep and fondle and kiss your phone good night.

and just please plaese show me when i complained about the lack of docs- no i said get docs at the end and this device will be perfect..

you are a total drama queen..

not only that i am very favorable about the browser in my post- saying its the best for me- i have no idea on your stance whatsoever.
... if you're going to be patronising at least try getting my name right ...

one thing i have learnt-- is that geek girls are more fanboys than geekboys..

i honestly think people that complain abou constructive critism or valid claims that something isnt up to scratch do not even use the functions on the phones whatsoever. why do you even have the phone emma - does add to your geek chic. get a life.

for some, it's a phone with computer capabilities...
for others, it's a computer with phone capabilities...
jeez already, stop the nonsense please.

Einstein said things are relative, but based on the observer.

nuf said...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LinuxPrfsnl For This Useful Post:
why do you even have the phone emma - does add to your geek chic. get a life.
This seriously felt like a necessary response?... Really?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:

Tags
communicator, computaphone!, foad abill, its a computer!, its a phone!